We are on to Philadelphia

GunnerBill

Okay Sunday was not a great performance. It was the closest the defense has come to a down day all season (21 points is still better than average in the modern NFL) and the first half offense was simply not good enough. But, having said all of that, the Bills won the game.

And now the games that will define this Buffalo Bills football season are about to begin. There are enough "must have" games left on the schedule - Dolphins, Redskins, Broncos and Jets - that the Bills can win 9 games without really beating anyone. Three of those four games are at home. 9 wins might get the Bills into the playoffs in this morass of averageness that is the 2019 AFC.

But 9-7 beating some ordinary teams is not what this team should aspire to be. It has a top 3 defense. It has a Quarterback who for his flaws and the inconsistency seems to come alive in the 4th Quarter. It doesn't have elite offensive playmakers but it has enough guys who can make plays to win games.

This team should be aspiring to really make a statement in Buffalo. Not another 9-7. A real season that demonstrates the culture is changed and that changes the national narrative. 10, 11 even 12 wins are feasible. But to get there the Bills must first get to 6-1 and separate themselves from the chasing playoff pack. To do that they must beat a Philadelphia team that has its own struggles but for those struggles is only two years removed from hoisting a Lombardi.

What I want to see on Sunday is a Bills team that has regained its focus and comes out ready to play from the first whistle. A team that senses the opportunity in front of it. A team for whom scraping in to the post season is no longer sufficient.

Eagles, Browns, Cowboys, Ravens, Steelers. Five games in the next eight weeks that will show us who these Bills really are.

We are on to Philadelphia.

• Like (+1) 13

I kinda want to see the Bills do what they did in the opener....come out throwing.  That's where Philly's D struggles...they give up the most 40+ yard passing plays so far (I believe eight and just overall....can't cover anyone.  This is where we need to win the game.  

Edited by Royale with Cheese
  • Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, ALLEN1QB said:

I live outside Philly these fans are ready to jump after losing to the Cowboys like that. If Buffalo puts a shellacking on them it will put them over the edge

Yeah, Iggles fans genuinely scare me. Of the top three dirtbag fanbases, Oakland is basically KISS, we Bills fans are mainly good-natured dirtbags, but Philly fans are on another level. 

Edited by jimmy10
  • Thank you (+1) 1

on the philly WHAT? Cream Cheese? Bandwagon? Santa beatings?

To the likely topic, Eagles are a wounded animal. Hot & Cold, hit & miss. Their last game was a disaster even though their still in 2nd place in their crappy division. They will play with desperation and it’s going to take a 4 Quarter game to win. 

If we get down by 10 or so early, please don’t Boo. The Bills have shown one true consistency this year. They’re resilient. We’re chasing the team of the Century in ours. If we truly want to play at home in January, this is critical toward that goal. 60 minutes or more. Whatever it takes.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I am concerned (see what I did there) with the use of "I need to see".....When did "I need to see" become such a thing? Need to see Josh throw 300.....need to see a signature win....need to see a complete game...need to see a long ball

This site is rife with people who "need to see" something.....see something or what? If you use that term you should tell us what you are going to do if you don't see it and follow through!

You are gonna get on the blower and call Tpegs and Beane? Completely lose your interest in the Bills? Cancel your seasons? Or are you just gonna double down with more stuff that you "need to see" ?

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

on the philly WHAT? Cream Cheese? Bandwagon? Santa beatings?

To the likely topic, Eagles are a wounded animal. Hot & Cold, hit & miss. Their last game was a disaster even though their still in 2nd place in their crappy division. They will play with desperation and it’s going to take a 4 Quarter game to win. 

If we get down by 10 or so early, please don’t Boo. The Bills have shown one true consistency this year. They’re resilient. We’re chasing the team of the Century in ours. If we truly want to play at home in January, this is critical toward that goal. 60 minutes or more. Whatever it takes.

I found the booing to be interesting.  I did not feel it was boo worthy given the way things went but some in my section were quite angry.  The D ran into a Dolphins offense infected with Fitzmagic and the offense had trouble finishing their drives due to whom they are at this point in time.  Fitzmajic does wear off eventually and the offense does finish games well. 

Now, I have done my share of halftime booing based on lethargic, sloppy or timid play as my only means of expressing my displeasure but I really have not seen much of that with this team.  Sloppy is often the other side of the coin of being aggressive so I can accept some of that within a game especially with a young team refining their style of play.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, TH3 said:

I am concerned (see what I did there) with the use of "I need to see".....When did "I need to see" become such a thing? Need to see Josh throw 300.....need to see a signature win....need to see a complete game...need to see a long ball

This site is rife with people who "need to see" something.....see something or what? If you use that term you should tell us what you are going to do if you don't see it and follow through!

You are gonna get on the blower and call Tpegs and Beane? Completely lose your interest in the Bills? Cancel your seasons? Or are you just gonna double down with more stuff that you "need to see" ?

Years ago my brother told of a visit to Toys-R-Us he made with his son who was probably  around 4 at the time.  He was really into some type of toy at that time, maybe Beast Wars, and was doing his best lobbying effort.  "But Dad, I NEEEED it!," he said.  Funny how my nephew, who is almost a pediatrician now, knew at the age of 4 the difference between the words "want" and "need" and thought it could help his case.

Need is a transactional word.  We need "this" for "that."  Give a mouse a cookie..........

32 minutes ago, TH3 said:

Relax.  It’s a discussion board, and people are saying what they need (really want) to see out of the team before they completely buy in.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, TH3 said:

A simple like does not encapsulate how I feel about this post. As fans, we can need whatever we want, but it doesn't matter. Love it. 

36 minutes ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

I found the booing to be interesting.  I did not feel it was boo worthy given the way things went but some in my section were quite angry.  The D ran into a Dolphins offense infected with Fitzmagic and the offense had trouble finishing their drives due to whom they are at this point in time.  Fitzmajic does wear off eventually and the offense does finish games well. 

Now, I have done my share of halftime booing based on lethargic, sloppy or timid play as my only means of expressing my displeasure but I really have not seen much of that with this team.  Sloppy is often the other side of the coin of being aggressive so I can accept some of that within a game especially with a young team refining their style of play.

You're right about this. 

I don't boo them ever, but that's just me.  In any case, as I said someplace else, I thought fans were booing because they weren't getting what they expected or wanted.  That's just selfish.

The team wasn't playing all that badly.   They had the penalties, which was a problem, and they made some other mistakes.  But other than that, they'd moved the ball, as well as the Dolphins, they just hadn't finished drives well.  The Dolphins were playing really well.  

The commentators are talking more these days about game specific game plans.  That's the league - you plan week by week.  Your opponent plans week by week.  The Dolphins clearly had prepared for the Bills really well.  The Bills had prepared not quite as well, but well enough that they were able to get the job done.  

People who say the Bills should have crushed the Dolphins and therefore were playing badly are just wrong.   The evidence is the Jets.   The Jets were pretty bad to horrible most of the season, then man handle the Cowboys.  Then they were blown away by the Pats.  We weren't upset when the Pats beat the Cowboys, but somehow fans are outraged because the Dolphins modestly outplayed the Bills for a half.   It's just the nature of the league.  

• Like (+1) 1

I too don’t think the booing was warranted. I wasn’t there, but home watching on tv I was not happy at all with the way things were playing out in the first half . Definitely did not want this game to turn into another notch in Fitzmagic’s gun stock! Kept hoping and praying for more of the Bills late game heroics and fortunately was rewarded. Just can’t help but think we might just be witnessing the start of something special this season. 

An old guy can hope anyways, right? GO BILLS !

I was a bit surprised at the booing, yet understood it.

I think the fans were basically saying that the team needed to get over itself.

Just in case the coaches somehow failed to point it out at the half.

I also believe it was aimed at the overall sloppy play on both sides of the football. Too many mistakes, penalties, etc. many of which were pretty poor showings, from missed tackles to eminently catchable footballs dropped. And far too many pre-snap penalties. They might drive the coaches mad, but they really get fans pissed.