Gmfb - Pats best D ever

Hebert19

As historically great as the Pats D is to this point opposing QBs are still doing better against them than Peterman did against anyone (courtesy of Bill Barnwell) ??:

Player A: 52.3% completion percentage, 4.2 yards per attempt, 9.2% INT rate

Player B: 50.8% completion percentage, 5.0 yards per attempt, 7.8% INT rate

Player A is quarterback Nathan Peterman, who was badly overmatched in his four starts with the Bills from 2017 to '18. The fifth-round pick posted a passer rating of 32.5 on 130 pass attempts; when you adjust for era using Pro Football Reference's index statistics, Peterman is the second-worst quarterback in the history of football with 100 or more pass attempts.

Player B isn't really one player; it's the collected line of all the quarterbacks who have faced the New England Patriots' defense this season. Those quarterbacks have combined to post a passer rating of 35.6, just 3.1 points better than Peterman's mark. I get that the Patriots haven't played a tough slate of opposing quarterbacks, but they've still gone up against veterans such as Ben Roethlisberger and Colt McCoy and highly touted young players such as Sam Darnold and Daniel Jones. Bill Belichick's defense has reduced them to collectively performing about as poorly as the worst quarterback of the past 80 years.

9 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

As historically great as the Pats D is to this point opposing QBs are still doing better against them than Peterman did against anyone (courtesy of Bill Barnwell) ??

giphy.gif

• Haha (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...

This Pats D is outrageously overrated.  They're not who we thought they were.  The early 2000s Patriots D was better than this year's D; maybe not statistically, but in actual game day performance.

On 10/22/2019 at 5:42 AM, TheProcess said:

Agreed. Give it up to their corners for holding up just long enough for those zero blitzes and disguises to get home. Let’s be honest, they aren’t the only team to use a zero blitz, but as usual they do it better than everyone else. How many more games before teams adjust to it?

Playing the cheats is becoming more like what playing in a playoff game at yankee stadium used to be. You lose it before you ever step foot on the field because the moment is too big and they are in your head. 

That mental edge is certainly part of it. They go in expecting their game plan to win, opposing teams go in hoping to not get embarrassed. Advantage NE.

I do think Allen went into our game with them shakey, but was pulling himself together after the half. Will never know if he could have redeemed himself if he had not gotten that helmet to helmet hit. Allen was hurting them with his legs and arm up to that point.

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/22/2019 at 8:49 AM, Yav said:

Here's the thing, NE hasn't really played anyone of notice outside of Buffalo and granite Buffalo hasn't played anyone of notice outside of NE. 

The stats from that game are as follows: 

New England: total yards 224
Brady: 18 of 39 for 150 yards and an INT

Michel: 17 carries for 63 yards

Buffalo: total yards 375

Allen: 13 of 28 for 153 yards and 3 INTs

Gore: 17 carries for 109 yards

After the first quarter NE was held score less until a field goal in the 3rd where as Buffalo scored 3 points in the second and a TD in the third. They also left points on the board with a missed FG and going for it on 4th down when a FG should have been kicked. 

Now I ask you what is more impressive? 

The Bills holding NE to 16 points and 224 total yards and giving Brady one of the worse games in recent memory or Buffalo putting 375 yards up on that NE D?

Trick question because both are impressive and both causes one to look at how well Buffalo played in that game.

They are both equally impressive!

On 10/22/2019 at 8:44 AM, SlimShady'sGhost said:

So.... How many teams with a winning record has the Pats beaten??   1 right? 

the answer is still  ONE!!!! 

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAaa

Tommy boy lookes so , so ... like a loser mussing with his hair looking down at whatever he had in his hands ... 

I mean it was hilarious that for the last 8 weeks they’ve been telling us that the Bills haven’t beat anybody good, but that the Pats (with an arguably easier schedule) had the greatest defense of all time. No player on that Pats defense scares me, in fact most of them look out of shape. Can’t wait to see the Mahomes revenge game.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

the answer is still  ONE!!!! 

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAaa

Tommy boy lookes so , so ... like a loser mussing with his hair looking down at whatever he had in his hands ... 

Pats message board kept referencing some sort of hand)arm/wrist injury

The Pats had a very good defense last season. It isn't a shock that their defense which wasn't super old and is coached by Billy B returned to form the next season. However this hype about them being a generationally "great" defense similar to the 2000 Raves, 2002 Bucs, 2013 Seahawks or something of that ilk is nothing more than hype. Anyone could read their schedule and see they played some of the worst QB's and overall offenses in the league. That's no insult to the Bills offense but I would classify them as slightly below average with a QB who is young and growing and that was the best offense they played up until they ran into the Ravens.  

The Pats defense is going to regress to a standard very good defense as they play better offenses. That's not to say that their defense can't carry them to a Super Bowl but it isn't a all time great defense like people were hyping. I think this reflects the sports news media's need for consistent 24/7 content as they tend to be very week to week reactionary to every little thing as they have airtime to fill. 

Edited by billsfan89

16 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

This Pats D is outrageously overrated.  They're not who we thought they were.  The early 2000s Patriots D was better than this year's D; maybe not statistically, but in actual game day performance.

I don't know about "outrageously overrated" but I will say I think their coronation as "all time historic great D" has been premature.

I looked it up, and prior to last night, the Pats opponents own a collective W-L record of 15-43.  Now that's better than the W-L record of the teams our Bills have defeated which is 8-38 (overall record 20-42) but they aren't exactly taking the Hard Road what with facing the Dolphins, Jets x 2, SKins, Giants, and Browns.  The Bills gave them the best fight of the season before last night, and we didn't exactly pose a stellar offensive challenge with 4 INTs and 2 fumbles (0 lost).

The next 4 weeks against the Eagles, Cowboys, Texans, and Chiefs will tell us a lot about who they really are.

• Like (+1) 2

GMFB are noted Pats worshippers, and it comes through in most every show. Put on GMFB today wanting to see the aftermath of Pats loss to Ravens, only to find precious little talk of them this AM. It was almost like they were disappointed NE lost. Don’t they realize most fans hate that team and wanted to bask in the glory of the Ravens win this morning ? Total letdown.