Gmfb - Pats best D ever

Hebert19

11 minutes ago, Bmbchiefs66 said:

They will hold cleveland and baltimore to a combined 14 points.

They are gonna destroy every one of those teams you named. 

Houston wont score more than 10 .. Hopkins has been insignifigant vs new england. Fuller going out kills them

Dallas will be lucky to score 10

Kc is the only legitimate team that had a chance for 14. But thats it

You can spin it anyway you want. But lmk in the past like 2016 when everyone said they hadnt played anyone yet why they couldnt replicate this success. How come darnold almost beat the bills? But couldnt even move the ball lasst night. Yet the bills supposedly have a top defense (now 12th by dvoa)

Lmk another defense that has allowed 27 points over 7 games? 

Why couldnt the bills supposed good defense shut out the dolphins?

completely unrelated question but are your knees scuffed up? Is your jaw sore?

20 minutes ago, Bmbchiefs66 said:

They will hold cleveland and baltimore to a combined 14 points.

They are gonna destroy every one of those teams you named. 

Houston wont score more than 10 .. Hopkins has been insignifigant vs new england. Fuller going out kills them

Dallas will be lucky to score 10

Kc is the only legitimate team that had a chance for 14. But thats it

You can spin it anyway you want. But lmk in the past like 2016 when everyone said they hadnt played anyone yet why they couldnt replicate this success. How come darnold almost beat the bills? But couldnt even move the ball lasst night. Yet the bills supposedly have a top defense (now 12th by dvoa)

Lmk another defense that has allowed 27 points over 7 games? 

Why couldnt the bills supposed good defense shut out the dolphins?

do you have a speech impediment?

18 hours ago, Bmbchiefs66 said:

It needs to be noted that the billa defense is average at best. The lolphons had them on the ropes, the bum darnold almost beat them. And dalton. Not good at all. Terrible

LOL

I guess shutting down Brady isn't going to be talked about?

And Dalton?  Dalton didn't play well against us.  He played well against the Seahawks....

image.thumb.png.bf9cf24fdb181f1a8dc1ce19ec04c2c3.png

Darnold beat the Cowboys and was the AFC player of the week.  

I'm surprised you spelled "Chiefs" correct in your name.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

The D has only given up 27 points (the other 21 on O and Special Teams) they have also scored  23 or 30 points.. so basically they are almost equaling the amount they give up. (I can’t remember if they have 3 or 4 TD this year)

they been beating up on bad teams.. hopefully it sustains them now that the schedule gets tougher.

15 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

The '85 Bears, the Ravens of the Lewis/Reed era, and the Steel curtain defenses are the benchmarks.  We'll see how they compare at the end of the season.

The '65 Bills too.

Ravens ONLY 2000 season they won that SB. I wouldn’t even compare any D to any other before then because of how much the rules have changed to favor the O.  It just wouldn’t be fair comparison IMO.

17 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

The D has only given up 27 points (the other 21 on O and Special Teams) they have also scored  23 or 30 points.. so basically they are almost equaling the amount they give up. (I can’t remember if they have 3 or 4 TD this year)

they been beating up on bad teams.. hopefully it sustains them now that the schedule gets tougher.

Ravens ONLY 2000 season they won that SB. I wouldn’t even compare any D to any other before then because of how much the rules have changed to favor the O.  It just wouldn’t be fair comparison IMO.

Good point

1 hour ago, PatsFanNH said:

That is insane. In fairness though we would need to break out those other 2 teams as well to see what the d scored and how many points were allowed by the offense or ST. While this stat MOSTLY is a representation of defense it does say “Patriots, Bucs, Ravens” and not “Patriots D, Bucs D, Ravens D.” It is insane nonetheless.

I’m of the belief that this Pats D (at this point) absolutely has to be considered with the “all-time” greats. Anyone denying that is just because they hate the Pats. I despise them. I would cheer for Russia against them. However, you cannot be rational and deny their dominance.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

1 minute ago, Chicken Boo said:

Yeah, that's a real murderer's row they've faced thus far.

The Ravens 2000 defense had to deal with an offense so pathetic they didn't score an TD for 5 straight weeks.

Read that again!

IMO they are not as good as that D. That D HAD to carry the team as their O was mediocre at best.. I see the Bills D being similar in the fact (so far) they have had to cover for an O that has turned the ball over WAY to much.  4 turnovers against the Jets, 2 against Cincy, 4 against NE. Mind you much better last two weeks with just , but with that D stop turning the ball over and you will win a lot easier.

• Steelers
  • Dolphins
  • Jets
  • Bills
  • Redskins
  • Giants
  • Jets

I'm not gonna sit here and say NE's defense isn't great.  It certainly seems to be.

But let's just take a look at those opponents and the QBs of those opponents.

How could any decent defense NOT look like the greatest of all time with a schedule like that?  I know teams can only play their schedules ... but common man.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Gugny said:
  • Steelers
  • Dolphins
  • Jets
  • Bills
  • Redskins
  • Giants
  • Jets

I'm not gonna sit here and say NE's defense isn't great.  It certainly seems to be.

But let's just take a look at those opponents and the QBs of those opponents.

How could any decent defense NOT look like the greatest of all time with a schedule like that?  I know teams can only play their schedules ... but common man.

You play who is on your schedule. That said those team average almost 15 points a game, the Pats D around 6.5.  Holding your opponent to half their average is impressive no matter who it is.  Also you know first hand records don’t tell the whole story, if they did this place be crying how bad the Bills D is because they allowed 16 points to the Jets, 17 to Cincy, and 21 to Miami teams with all of one win!  The fact is your D is damn good too and also been doing it against mostly garbage can QBs with the only loss being against the one good one. (Not their fault like the Jets game the O was awful and if it wasn’t for your D that score is something like 24 or 30- 0 heading into the third.)

Just now, PatsFanNH said:

You play who is on your schedule. That said those team average almost 15 points a game, the Pats D around 6.5.  Holding your opponent to half their average is impressive no matter who it is.  Also you know first hand records don’t tell the whole story, if they did this place be crying how bad the Bills D is because they allowed 16 points to the Jets, 17 to Cincy, and 21 to Miami teams with all of one win!  The fact is your D is damn good too and also been doing it against mostly garbage can QBs with the only loss being against the one good one. (Not their fault like the Jets game the O was awful and if it wasn’t for your D that score is something like 24 or 30- 0 heading into the third.)

I went out of my way to prevent anyone taking the time to write every ounce of what you just wrote.  Apparently, I didn't go far enough.

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

I went out of my way to prevent anyone taking the time to write every ounce of what you just wrote.  Apparently, I didn't go far enough.

Lol I literally went out of my way to compliment the Bills D... which is the only reason the Bills are 5-1. :) 

You can't deny that a good offense playing complimentary football helps significantly.

Forces opposition into a more one-dimensional attack, provides favorable field position (no "gimme" FGs or one-shot TDs), and no turnover based points.

However...

You also can't deny that teams down by 2+ TDs are more likely to air it out and gain yards if not points.

So the minimal yards allowed is potentially even more impressive.

Given the rules changes over the years favoring offense, the idea that the Pats' defense is even comparable, and in many ways outperforming the "other" all time great defenses pushes them squarely into the discussion. Denigrate their opposition all you want. I don't recall the amazing offenses the '85 Bears had to contend with every week either.

Edited by timekills17