The purpose behind the Patriots Pedal to the Medal approach in all situtions.

We have been conditioned to think that good sportsmanship requires sports victors to ease up when winning easily.   We have been conditioned to believe that every chance to pull your best players to avoid injury should be taken.  This begs the question why do the Patriots rarely slow down and run up the score the way they do? 

One possible explanation is that they are bad sports and like humiliating opponents for fun. 
I don't think this is the reason.

I think the purpose is to intimidate future opponents. 

I suspect almost all teams first thought in preparing for the Patriots is "lets not get embarrassed"  Psychologically and practically this give the Patriots a huge edge.  It even manifests itself with the fans of other teams.  After the  Bills recently loss to the Patriots at home most "good" fans were proud of the teams effort and marked it up as a "moral victory". Similarly after the 10 point win over the Dolphins many of the same fans were disappointed in the teams performance. In fact I suspect the fans, the Bills players and the Bills coaches were all happier in many respects after the loss to the Patriots than after the win over the Dolphins. 

Its not an original observation to realize that people measure results against expectations.  The Patriots create such low expectations for opponents that teams can feel successful, even when they lose to the Patriots.  I think the Patriots believe this intimidation edge is an important part of their success. So much so that they leave their best players including 40+ year old QBs on the field longer after the current game is decided.  

• Like (+1) 2

I think they've only pedal to the metal once this year, and it was against the Jets last night because Bellichick holds grudges.  Once games are in hand, Bellichick has been known to run weird formations with the sole intention of throwing off other teams metrics and analytics.  I don't think you get the full force of the Patriots until playoffs.  This is what scares me about assuming how close the Bills actually are to NE competitively.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

I suspect almost all teams first thought in preparing for the Patriots is "lets not get embarrassed"  Psychologically and practically this give the Patriots a huge edge.  It even manifests itself with the fans of other teams.  

I think this psychological factor shows up in game days more than people want to admit.  The mentality of playing the Patriots is such that you don't play as naturally and instinctively, and that's partly because they will use your nature and instincts against you.  I see it on the field all the time, especially when watching other teams' DBs covering their receivers.  Think "shock and awe" and how that can lead to a lack of confidence and second-guessing.  Even the refs just kinda sit back in awe at times.  

Belichick is an exceptional coach in this regard.  He plays the meta-game.  

Edited by Capco
  • Like (+1) 1

Excellent topic selection OP.

I've never understood why any NFL coach would ever take their foot off the gas until maybe the two minute warning in any game.  I don't think BB is an unethical sportsman for playing the entire game, and I've always admired that trait in him as coach.  If the NFL was giving trophies and banners for being nice, Dick Jauron would be in the Hall of Fame.

He's cutthroat and I don't think many, if any, NFL coaches are on his level.  

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

We have been conditioned to think that good sportsmanship requires sports victors to ease up when winning easily.   We have been conditioned to believe that every chance to pull your best players to avoid injury should be taken.  This begs the question why do the Patriots rarely slow down and run up the score the way they do? 

One possible explanation is that they are bad sports and like humiliating opponents for fun. 

I suspect almost all teams first thought in preparing for the Patriots is "lets not get embarrassed"  Psychologically and practically this give the Patriots a huge edge.  It even manifests itself with the fans of other teams.  After the  Bills recently loss to the Patriots at home most "good" fans were proud of the teams effort and marked it up as a "moral victory". Similarly after the 10 point win over the Dolphins many of the same fans were disappointed in the teams performance. In fact I suspect the fans, the Bills players and the Bills coaches were all happier in many respects after the loss to the Patriots than after the win over the Dolphins. 

Its not an original observation to realize that people measure results against expectations.  The Patriots create such low expectations for opponents that teams can feel successful, even when they lose to the Patriots.  I think the Patriots believe this intimidation edge is an important part of their success. So much so that they leave their best players including 40+ year old QBs on the field longer after the current game is decided.  

Pats eased back when the Bills game was easily over, very quickly.

After the 95 yard drive ended in an INT they basically packed it in and ground out the clock

There's an old football adage I heard a long time ago from an old player doing color commentary on a blowout game: 'If you don't want to get blown out, get better.'

• Like (+1) 1

I agree with this. The Jets D came out yesterday NOT aggressive. They weren't sending extra rushers. I almost think they tried the Bills approach of keeping everything in front of them. Unfortunately they don't have the personnel for that, nor is it their identity. They wanted to keep it close and it backfired immensely. The Pats get you to play their game, not yours. 

They also do a lot of wonky stuff in blow outs to throw off charting.  Runs with James white out of certain formations, play actions in blow outs - stuff that makes the % off ever so slightly.  

The Patriots have been real lucky over the years. Brady could have ripped up a knee while looking ti pad stats

When it does finally happen, The Media will attack Belichick " Why was Brady still in the game while leading by 30 ?"

Stupid football..IMO

Intimidation, is possible for sure, but imo it is all about an undefeated regular and post season and super bowl, it is really that simple.

1 hour ago, HOUSE said:

The Patriots have been real lucky over the years. Brady could have ripped up a knee while looking ti pad stats

When it does finally happen, The Media will attack Belichick " Why was Brady still in the game while leading by 30 ?"

Stupid football..IMO

What a lot of people are saying NOW is they keep him in get reps with the young receivers like Meyers and Gunner. I don’t believe that but a lot of experts saying it.

4 hours ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

We haven't been "conditioned" to believe it, we believe it because it's true.  You make it sound as though we should think differently, is that your belief?

It follows that the Patriots*** are far more interested in winning as much as possible than in good sportsmanship.  Alert the media, after the years-long opposition radio complaints, Spygate, Deflategate etc - so much smoke - this isn't exactly a shocking conclusion.

You're correct here, they don't do it to be bad sports per se or humiliate opponents for fun. 

They do it because they see it as conducive to winning as much as possible, and they would rather win as much as possible than be good sports.

You're also correct that one purpose is to intimidate future opponents.  The other purpose is to get in the heads of the opponents they are humiliating and crush their spirits for next time.

As someone who was moderating the board after both games, I believe

1) it's not the same fans who were proud of the team after the Pats loss that are disappointed after the Dolphins game

2) I think you are mistaken about the feelings of "good" fans.

Also:

3) There are no moral victories or virtual defeats.

4) I don't think you're correct about the attitude of the Bills players and coaches either.  The coaches were hella p*ssed off after the NE*** game about the ST blocked-6 punt, Zay Jones lack of competitiveness for the ball (slung him out of the building in 8 days for a bag of peanuts), Josh Allen being careless with the ball and putting himself in harm's way for a few extra yards etc etc.  They weren't all "oh, whoo hoo, moral victory, great effort" they were "@#$@#% we could have Q@##$T^ won that one".  And they're right!  They're happy that they pulled it out against Miami but they also realized they put stuff on film against the Pats*** that they failed to completely address, even a crap team like Miami was able to see and exploit it, and they better by damn get it fixed this week before the rest of the league sees it because if Miami can do it, so can everyone else.

A team should be using every opportunity to improve.

Blowouts are the perfect time to try out new plays, get a backup some playing time, tryout some new blitz packages...on and on.

I think the Patriots strive for perfection. They are essentially taught that they are "playing against themselves",  eliminating mistakes, each player striving to continually improve, and that the opponent is almost faceless (though each team presents their own unique challenges for the Patriots). Belichick barely acknowledges the opposing players (really only when asked directly about a specific player, and he will make a quick, bland statement, then quickly move on). It's always about his own team.

Of course, there is also the powerful psychological effect of humiliating opponents.

Edited by 32ABBA

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

Pats eased back when the Bills game was easily over, very quickly.

After the 95 yard drive ended in an INT they basically packed it in and ground out the clock

The Bills did not have a 95 yard drive against the Pats*** that ended in an INT.  Neither did the Pats*** have one against the Bills

Are you talking about the Pats*** 76 yard drive that ate 8+ minutes off the clock in the 2nd and ended in an INT?

If the latter: After the Bills INT, the Pats had the ball for 12:33, the Bills for almost double that, 21:35.  Some clock-grinding. 

Plus in that time, the Bills scored a FG and a TD.  Anyone seriously think the Hoody**** is interested in packing it in with a 3 point lead?  Yeah.

Maybe you mean some other drive or point in the game?  But the subsequent Bills INTs came after an 11 yd drive, then with 1:27 left in the game. 

The Pats*** have no interest in "packing it in" or "easing back".  They are interested in winning, Period.  Tom Brady was having a rough outing against our secondary.  He said himself the planeride home sucked.   If the Pats were running more (and I didn't do that breakdown) it's because they thought that was the Bills D weakness and gave them the better chance to run up the score.

Here’s a novel idea: if a team objects to the Pats*** running up the score against them, how about stopping them from doing so. You know, like play defense. The Jest had plenty of opportunities to punch them in the mouth and simply failed to do so. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Here’s a novel idea: if a team objects to the Pats*** running up the score against them, how about stopping them from doing so. You know, like play defense. The Jest had plenty of opportunities to punch them in the mouth and simply failed to do so. 

I was on both sides of this in college...never wanted to embarrass anyone by not playing as hard as possible, and when your the team getting beat only way to get better is by the other team playing hard. I know when we were getting smoked in some games playing against teams with several national team players, we wanted their best entire game...and we lost some 18-4 games, but we cam out better because of it. 

That being said, i would woryy about injury in the NFL..Trent Murphy suffered a big setback last year playing in garbage time against the Colts..that stuff drives me crazy

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Seasons1992 said:

At least it wasn't "Petal to the Medal." 

Petal to the medal of Honor?

I have no problem in pro sports with teams driving up the score. They aren't kids or people just playing for fun and exercise (even then I hate when I know a team is backing off against my team because they don't want to run up a score). Pro sports is a business with the best of the best being paid highly to participate in it, if you don't like getting embarrassed, play better. All teams are supposed to be on equal ground. Personally, if you have a comfortable lead, I'm all for swapping in backups to give them reps and using the time to try some different things as long as the game is in hand and there's not a chance for them to come back. As long as players aren't showboating or taunting at that point I think it's fine.

One of my biggest issues with the Bills current coaching staff is that they appear to take their foot off the gas when they get a lead and it has almost cost them by letting teams come back in a game.