Pats get Sanu for Second Rounder

aristocrat

30 minutes ago, FireChans said:

They don’t need pieces. They are trying to rebuild as best they can with Ryan and Julio’ albatross contracts I think. 

They are are in real cap hell. Their hands are really tied down there.

So they should trade a player and continue to eat his contract as has been speculated?  If you think they're in cap hell, hands tied, why would they do that?

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So they should trade a player and continue to eat his contract as has been speculated?  If you think they're in cap hell, hands tied, why would they do that?

Drop in the bucket, I guess. They aren’t gonna clear enough room to sign a $20M player next year anyway. Short term pain. Similar to trading Dareus, looking to the year after next.

9 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

First , the trade deadline isn't past yet. 

Sanu is a good, NFL caliber WR but a 2nd is rather an overpayment for him.  If you're swapping a 2nd round pick for the #4 WR on someone's team you'd best be confident he's the difference maker to yours.  I can see where it's a "makes sense for both sides" pick - Sanu has always been behind Jones, but has slid behind Hooper and Ridley this year.  The Falcons get a nice pick to rebuild with, the Cheatriots get what they evidently feel is a missing piece on their stomp to the Super Bowl.

But the tone, while you don't outright say it, makes it seem as though you feel Beane should be making similar moves.  But while we do have several soft spots, why do you feel there is one piece that is so important to our success this year Beane should be swapping away the future?

My tone is our team wants to know that we think we can win it all. We don’t make moves yet every team who thinks they have a shot is rumored to be seeking WR help. Yes we have no WR2. Yes we have very few sacks. Both of those factors may mean the difference in being a wild card first game loser and going an extra game or two. Why does it matter ? Because next year we have a ton of money and free agents want to play for a team ready to win it all NOW, not 3 years from now. 

I wouldn’t invest a 2nd in Sanu, but making no deals, which I fear Beane will do, says we aren’t willing to win now. That sends a message to the team and other players in this league whether it’s unintentional or not. This team can get depth in the draft but you can always use edge and WR playmakers. 

We aren’t one player away, but our offense needs playmakers so let’s get one or two. Two big plays a game might change our future dramatically. 

Edited by Locomark

On 10/22/2019 at 6:30 AM, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Trouble is for Buffalo to become a real contender, they'd need to pull off about 4 of those moves, WR backup LB , pass rushing end, and maybe a RT unless Ford does settle in the 2nd half of the season.  For the Pats giving up a 2nd rounder is OK, but for the Bills, they need their picks.

Having said that do expect some type of trade, back up LB may be the most reasonable that likely wouldn't cost a fortune.

That is why my expectations for this year rely so much on the health of the team. Next year we should have more elite talent and more depth to make a serious run.