Belicheat exposee loophole in rules

10 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

They weren't cheating but they were definitely playing to the letter of the rule, much like they did when they had that weird formation against the Ravens a few years back. It's what the Patriots have done the last few years to exploit the rules as much as they can do allow things help them. While I don't like it from a sportsmanship standpoint but he/they has the right to keep doing it as per the rules are right now. 

Cheatin' *****.

24 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

Soooo, Billy was smirking at the time and admitted it's a loophole that should probably be closed.

I can only hope Sean McDermott is the one smirking in December when we do the same thing to them...in NE...with time running out....and the Bills holding on to a lead. 

Wow, first it was a blow out and doing it was the merciful thing to do. (Darnold was do throw a pick 6 at any moment lol)

That said come December who knows what these teams look like.. injuries happen, trade deadline.. etc.

36 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

It’s actually not a wide open loophole. Officials have discretion to stop the clock if it’s obvious a team is killing time like that. If it continued or happens again I’m sure they will simply not allow the clock to run. 

They do?

4 hours ago, voodoo poonani said:

Belicheat does it again! This time with a loophole, takes 1 min 22 sec off of the clock.

Nobody goes through the rulebook quite like him. I'm surprised he wasted it against the jests.

Link

jets accept the penalty and this can’t happen. Because then it is on the snap. 

23 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

They do?

Depends on the time left on the clock. Outside of 1 minute all they could do is official times it and reset play clock to 25 instead of 40. Within one minute they get some more options. Within one minute to play the NFL rule book states that a foul by either team that prevents the snap can be penalized by 5 yards for delay of game and the offended team would get the option to start the clock on the snap, rather than the ready. 

Edited by PetermansRedemption
  • Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I dont get why the Jets were declining. Other than the obvious "Its the Jets" answer.

I really wish Belichek had kept committing penalties. I wonder how many times it would have taken Gase to understand what was happening. I found it amusing. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

My question is how do you fix the rules.  If you change the rule so that the clock stops for penalties, it allows the losing team to save time by deliberately committing a penalty. 40 seconds could easily be more valuable than the 5 yard cost of a false start penalty to a team that is three points behind with no timeouts and 45 seconds on the game clock.  Could you actually write the rule so the clock only stops for penalties if the team committing the penalty is ahead?

20 minutes ago, Sundancer said:

I really wish Belichek had kept committing penalties. I wonder how many times it would have taken Gase to understand what was happening. I found it amusing. 

You really cannot get away with that. If the Referee deems that you are intentionally and repeatedly delaying the game they can absolutely hit you with an Unsportsmanlike Conduct penalty and attribute it to the bench. End of controversy.

9 hours ago, Mango said:

I also don’t think BB’s thought there was to run out the clock. My guess is Gase declines, and BB was like “wait, what? You need the clock, I need the 5 yards. Let’s try this again Adam” then facepalm laughter ensued. 

That was the speculation I heard - Bill wanted the extra space for his punter, and didn't expect Gase to decline.

But maybe Gase didn't "need the clock" - maybe at that point he would have been happy if Belicheck could have just run the clock down to 0

• Haha (+1) 1