Belicheat exposee loophole in rules

14 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

That's my point, if the game were close, they'd have accepted the penalty and the clock stops.  Gase may have thanked Bill for running the extra time off last night.

You are assuming Gase knew that the time would run.  

My guess is that Gase had no clue and even if the game was close - He still declines the penalty because the delay of game and the false start are trying to give the punter more space to drop the punt inside the 10. 

The fact is most people assume the clock stops with the penalty flag and Gase does not strike me as a coach that understands things.

This was all an act of mercy by both BB and Gase.

The network wasn't going to turn to Heidi on this disaster of a game before the final whistle.

16 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

You are assuming Gase knew that the time would run.  

My guess is that Gase had no clue and even if the game was close - He still declines the penalty because the delay of game and the false start are trying to give the punter more space to drop the punt inside the 10. 

The fact is most people assume the clock stops with the penalty flag and Gase does not strike me as a coach that understands things.

Well, he could see the clock was still running and he declined twice so, he probably knew the time would run.

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Mango said:

I also don’t think BB’s thought there was to run out the clock. My guess is Gase declines, and BB was like “wait, what? You need the clock, I need the 5 yards. Let’s try this again Adam” then facepalm laughter ensued. 

Rinse and repeat all over the AFC east for about 20 years now.

56 minutes ago, Mango said:

...This is more Gase being a dumb-dumb. It was stupid and pointless to decline twice. 

Because the penalty was declined, it basically means there was none. So the clock kept wronging. Gase is an idiot. 

Kids, don’t do drugs!  (That includes amonia inhalants, spirit of hartshorn, and sal volatile.)

1 hour ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

It worked because the Pats were up 33-0 so the Jets just wanted to get the game over with, in a close game they'd have accepted.

I don't think this is the case. He was trying to keep the Pats* punter from having more room to work with. My guess is that he did not consider the ramifications of time.

2 hours ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Patriots* were punting from Jets 40 or so and wanted to get a little more room for punter to work with, so they let clock run all way down and took delay of game.  Gase declined penalty to keep them where they were, so the officials re-started the clock and Pats* lined up to punt again.  This time they let it run all the way down and had someone jump off sides at last second. Declined again,  1min 22 sec wasted. 

Does it have to be different penalties?

24 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

I don't think this is the case. He was trying to keep the Pats* punter from having more room to work with. My guess is that he did not consider the ramifications of time.

Maybe gase watched the game and clock and was like... thank you... 

Soooo, Billy was smirking at the time and admitted it's a loophole that should probably be closed.

I can only hope Sean McDermott is the one smirking in December when we do the same thing to them...in NE...with time running out....and the Bills holding on to a lead. 

2 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

It’s actually not a wide open loophole. Officials have discretion to stop the clock if it’s obvious a team is killing time like that. If it continued or happens again I’m sure they will simply not allow the clock to run. 

well  the cats out of the bag now 

2 hours ago, Mango said:

Meh...

The inverse is a team can commit penalties to stop the clock. Gase could have just accepted as well. It wasn’t some loophole that existed in a vacuum or is an oddity like that wonky formation vs. the Ravens. 

Damned if you do, damned if you don’t. 

Belicheck tried this against the Bills in 2011. After Fred caught the ball and was tackled at the 1. Referee didn't throw flag. 

Edited by CBD

42 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Cheatin' *****.

They weren't cheating but they were definitely playing to the letter of the rule, much like they did when they had that weird formation against the Ravens a few years back. It's what the Patriots have done the last few years to exploit the rules as much as they can do allow things help them. While I don't like it from a sportsmanship standpoint but he/they has the right to keep doing it as per the rules are right now. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

I had to laugh when I saw Belichick trying not to smile over Gase declining both those penalties. 

Got a lotta respect for Belichick but I'm always gonna put an asterisk next to his name based on his pushing the envelope with the rules. Once is an accident, twice is a coincidence, three times is a pattern. Guy just always searches for the competitive advantage, even if it means stepping over the line with the rules. 

• Like (+1) 1

How is Belicheck cheating here? 

He takes the delay of game like every team does. Gase declines. He then tries to get 5 yards with an Offside. Gase declines. 

It is a funny sequence and Gase is an idiot. I wish he'd kept it going. 

Edited by Sundancer