Rolling Stone Top 100 Singers of All Time

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

Keith is backup on about 10 of the top 100 singles of the rock era

not a fan of Tina

Me neither But... she was one of the backup singers on Overnite Sensation so I'll give her that much.

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

Keith is backup on about 10 of the top 100 singles of the rock er

I am a huge Stones fan, and I have always thought that Mick & Keith's vocals together are a really under-appreciated element of what made them so great in their best times.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Buftex said:

I am a huge Stones fan, and I have always thought that Mick & Keith's vocals together are a really under-appreciated element of what made them so great in their best times.

keep on listening and truckin'

for time signatures and variations between contributors, Bonham and Page a few times seemed to be in different times, Moon often let his fills roll into the next phrasing so he was on his own planet with time

the stories of Bonham and Moon unable to grasp their roles in tunes is enlightening

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Pete said:

Where is Layne Staley?  Was Chris Cornell on list?  

Cornell absolutely belongs on any list.  As for this specific list, they nailed #1 and then stopped trying.

34 minutes ago, row_33 said:

keep on listening and truckin'

for time signatures and variations between contributors, Bonham and Page a few times seemed to be in different times, Moon often let his fills roll into the next phrasing so he was on his own planet with time

the stories of Bonham and Moon unable to grasp their roles in tunes is enlightening

I saw an interview with Townsend, from the mid-70's, where he was talking about writing songs for the band...he said that he always had to try to anticipate what Moon would add to the song...he was saying sometimes the songs turned into something completely different...I think that was when he started getting the itch to go solo. :) 

4 hours ago, Buftex said:

Thumbs up for recognizing what a great back-up singer Keith Richards is/was.

For me, I would put Tina Turner pretty high on my list... and if we are not sticking strictly to rock'roll George Jones.

Frank Sinatra (who also wasn't on this list for some reason) once said his favorite singer was George Jones. I get country music isn't a lot of people's thing, except the hip ones like Willie and Johnny Cash. But the natural talent George Jones had is easily top 15 if not top 10. 

• Like (+1) 2

Daryl Hall can sing with the best of them -- but he's a pop star.

Same with Paul Weller, but he's too obscure I suppose.

Bryan Ferry was left out.

Not including Meatloaf is stupid.

If you're going to have Axl Rose, you might as well put David Lee Roth in there -- and you can substitute all kinds of artists for ones that were included (like Stevie Winwood instead of Steve Wonder).

Oh -- and they included the Everly Brothers as one entry, and Art Garfunkel alone, but no Paul Simon?

Edited by snafu

On 10/22/2019 at 4:18 PM, Pete said:

Where is Layne Staley?  Was Chris Cornell on list?  

On 10/22/2019 at 9:23 PM, njbuff said:

No Bon Scott?

He had one of the most unique voices ever and also one of the top front men ever.

Frank Sinatra is the greatest voice ever and where is he ranked on this stupid list?

Great calls on Cornell, Staley and Scott.

Other omissions of note:

Patsy Cline

Geddy Lee

Gregg Rollie

Amy Winehouse

Scott Weiland

Jeff Lynne