Rolling Stone Top 100 Singers of All Time

7 minutes ago, row_33 said:

i'd dispute that as it's clearly in 4/4, but i guess you can waltz to it...

You’re right. I looked it up. It seems to have a baseline that can be thought of as groups of three if you want it to be, but the sheet music is in 4/4 time. 

Edited by Gray Beard
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Gray Beard said:

You’re right. I looked it up. It seems to have a baseline that is in groups of three, but the sheet music is in 4/4 time. 

as a crappy drummer i know most of the time a song is written in or can think it up in 2 seconds.

some are a little more elusive, like Dance on a Volcano, 15/16th?? for most of it?

Take Five and Living in the Past are an unusual 5/4

• Like (+1) 1

Etta James should be way higher.  Janis too IMO.  I didn’t see Buddy Guy, Son House, Shannon Hoon, Maynard James Keenan, Bradley Nowell.....

And Bono is a piece of *****.  He is as miscast in this list as Edge was in It Might Get Loud(Edge can’t hang with Jimmy Page and Jack White).

17 minutes ago, Pete said:

Etta James should be way higher.  Janis too IMO.  I didn’t see Buddy Guy, Son House, Shannon Hoon, Maynard James Keenan, Bradley Nowell.....

And Bono is a piece of *****.  He is as miscast in this list as Edge was in It Might Get Loud(Edge can’t hang with Jimmy Page and Jack White).

Bono is one of many rock musicians who literally has amassed a fortune for his ability to sing, despite not being able to sing!

I think they create these lists deliberately to outrage people so everyone talks about it and gives the publication some free promotion.

Who really cares what "Rolling Stone" thinks about anything?

The mainstream music media in America is hopelessly clueless anyway.

Just now, Nextmanup said:

Bono is one of many rock musicians who literally has amassed a fortune for his ability to sing, despite not being able to sing!

no problem with his pipes, he big wonder is working with easily the worst rhythm backing in the history of successful pop acts

14 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I don’t have the time to scroll through the entire list.  Where in the top 5 is Meatloaf??

Meatloaf had a great voice and could actually sing, as compared to many on this list! 

There was a time around 1976 or 1977 I guess when he and his "Bat Out of Hell" album ruled the world! 

Ian Gillan make it? When he joined Sabbath he couldn’t get the lyrics down pat so they put cue cards on the stage for a prompt but the dry ice and smoke blocked them from his line of vision

Edited by row_33

4 hours ago, LewPort71 said:

Roy Orbison at only 13 ?  Puhleeze...

Top 5 easy.

Elvis said that Roy Orbison was his greatest opponent voice wise.

Lets just face it, this list is a piece of *****.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

On ‎10‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 1:32 PM, row_33 said:

John Lennon and Jerry Garcia

Keith Richards on backup

the rest can GTFO

Thumbs up for recognizing what a great back-up singer Keith Richards is/was.

For me, I would put Tina Turner pretty high on my list... and if we are not sticking strictly to rock'roll George Jones.

Edited by Buftex

1 hour ago, Buftex said:

Thumbs up for recognizing what a great back-up singer Keith Richards is/was.

For me, I would put Tina Turner pretty high on my list... and if we are not sticking strictly to rock'roll George Jones.

Keith is backup on about 10 of the top 100 singles of the rock era

not a fan of Tina

• Like (+1) 2