John Brown is playing like a #1 WR

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, MR8 said:

I hope we sign Deone Bucannon sooner rather than later, he's a great fit for our defense in the similar mold to Edmunds and Milano... he's a converted safety with great rangey speed but can also play in the box.  

I can actually see McBeane doing this.

They cannot be to thrilled with Maurice Alexander’s game as a fill-in starter.

But that’s for them to decipher. ?

• Like (+1) 1

He is totally playing like a #1.  I wouldn't think of him like AJ Green, but Brown has been damn good for this team and Josh.  Josh could be better to him sometimes haha.  I still think this team is missing that big box out type receiver that just catches the ball.  Maybe Duke can be it, I don't know yet.

Edited by Scott7975

The #1 reciever argument is one that NOBODY is right or wrong on because there IS NO DEFINITION OF A TRUE #1

Larry Fitz played the slot for most of his career and Andre Reed is credited as pioneering the slot role... Were they not #1s from the slot?

Then you have the size traditionalists.. who think you need to be xyz height weight speed to be a #1

Then you have common cents people who will point out ALL 32 teams have a reciever who is technically their #1

Does a all pro or pro bowler only make a 1? What about finishing top 32 in yards and catches? 

There is no clear cut definition of a #1 WR and most fans like to peg it into a Julio Jones or AJ Green type role. But the reality is those aren't #1.. they are Hall of Famers and immensely harder to find

A #1 reciever is a guy who can run all or most of the route tree , is reliable, beats coverage consistently and is a natural hands catcher

There doenst need to be a height weight speed attachment to it in 2019

If you do the bolded you are a #1 in the NFL

Edited by Buffalo716

Very impressed with Brown. I will admit I didn't know too much about him.  At the time he signed, I just read he was doing well with Flacco but once Lamar took over at QB his targets dropped off quite a bit.  

I'm most impressed with the deep in, outs, and crossing patterns he has run.  He is money on those 17-22 yard patterns.  Always seems to get nice separation.  It is a pass Allen really throws well when he has time in the pocket to stand tall and deliver a deep ball to a WR that is not going away from him.  

3 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Very impressed with Brown. I will admit I didn't know too much about him.  At the time he signed, I just read he was doing well with Flacco but once Lamar took over at QB his targets dropped off quite a bit.  

I'm most impressed with the deep in, outs, and crossing patterns he has run.  He is money on those 17-22 yard patterns.  Always seems to get nice separation.  It is a pass Allen really throws well when he has time in the pocket to stand tall and deliver a deep ball to a WR that is not going away from him.  

He has been money with those 17-22 yarders because that is about the space necessary that defenders are beginning to commit to a deeper bomb pass that they have to defend because of his speed and he turns them around and gets that underneath 20 yarder.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Just imagine how good John Brown would be if there was a big fast can separate AND Catch guy across from him?  

To me these there the things needed to get this O into the top 10

OL Cohesion

One more legit pass threat

Not sure this is the year, bc the offense has a ways to go....McBeanes need another offseason to keep building the offensive roster talent... getting there.  Isaiah Mckenzie is not an NFL player and neither was Zay Jones..  Gore, Brown,  Beasley and Kroft are NFL players.  Singletary, Foster,  Duke and the rookie TEs might be, can't tell yet.  Kroft needs to get going.   Lotta very raw young guys runnin around out there in the offensive skill positions (including the QB) which means things will come and go

They are getting there.   Can only do so much in one offseason.  Plus Allen needs to mature, and he is.   I can see the top 10 teams holding them to under 15 points without too much trouble.   Allen just isn't there.    He's still running around a lot thinking about the long ball.. he'll be ok.. just needs some time, so does Singletary

Brown knows what he’s doing, and why he’s doing it, he was a great signing.

Go Bills!!! 

13 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

Not sure this is the year, bc the offense has a ways to go....McBeanes need another offseason to keep building the offensive roster talent... getting there.  Isaiah Mckenzie is not an NFL player and neither was Zay Jones..  Gore, Brown,  Beasley and Kroft are NFL players.  Singletary, Foster,  Duke and the rookie TEs might be, can't tell yet.  Kroft needs to get going.   Lotta very raw young guys runnin around out there in the offensive skill positions (including the QB) which means things will come and go

They are getting there.   Can only do so much in one offseason.  Plus Allen needs to mature, and he is.   I can see the top 10 teams holding them to under 15 points without too much trouble.   Allen just isn't there.    He's still running around a lot thinking about the long ball.. he'll be ok.. just needs some time, so does Singletary

I personally am enjoying Josh Allen's journey....he was so raw coming into the league.....he is so used to playing hero ball trying to win games.....I see improvements.....still not completely consistant.

But he will get there...I have absolutely no doubt

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, GreggTX said:

Now imagine if we added a guy as good as Julio, OBJ, etc.

I cant because they aren't available, and if they were they would cost more than Beane would be willing to pay...

So unless we get one of them in the draft maybe, but might be hard picking 28...

I was surprised how good of hands JB has. He has made some very tough catches. I remember the commentator saying, at first glance that a catch would be overturned, because it looked so difficult, there's no way he caught it. But he was able to get his hands under it and corral it. He really could have 2 or 3 more TD's if he and JA could connect on some of those deep balls. I get that all qbs overthrow receivers, but Brown was beyond college open, behind the defense a few times lol. Only a matter of time imo.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, NC Book said:

I was surprised how good of hands JB has. He has made some very tough catches. I remember the commentator saying, at first glance that a catch would be overturned, because it looked so difficult, there's no way he caught it. But he was able to get his hands under it and corral it. He really could have 2 or 3 more TD's if he and JA could connect on some of those deep balls. I get that all qbs overthrow receivers, but Brown was beyond college open, behind the defense a few times lol. Only a matter of time imo.

I have been hoping to see Allen and Brown connect more downfield, and yes, Brown has gotten behind defenses. Brown has been doing his part, so sooner or later they will click.

13 hours ago, BillsFan3434 said:

The benefit of trading for a #1 receiver (AJ Green, Stefon Diggs comes to mind) is not only their potential, but also now we have much better match ups.

For example: John Brown always attracts their #1 corner.  The other team's Tre'Davious White, if you will.  
Now John Brown gets their Levi Wallace or Taron Johnson (#2 corner). 

Cole Beasley and Duke Williams gets their 3rd and 4th best corner.

We will be a matchup nightmare.  We don't need to throw it to AJ Green every play, but they have to cover him.  And often it will be with two people.

That's how peerless price put up the monster numbers with Buffalo, they rolled coverage to moulds and PP had 1v1 all game.

16 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

He sucks. 

Lol, he's not a starter, he'd be rotational at best, but his athleticism and skills got him taken in the 1st round.  The guy is much better than you're giving him credit for.  He's well worth a flier on a FA signing with no risk.  

15 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

That Florida kid they drafted seems like he’s meant to be Milano’s back up. But I guess the way he landed on IR it’s not happening this season 

Yeah, Vosean Joseph, I was hoping they'd carry him onto the season so they could designate him to return, but I guess you don't do that with depth guys.  He was a bit out matched in preseason before getting hurt. I think the game was moving a bit too fast for him.  No way to know if it would've caught up by now, but he's a fantastic athlete as well.

For now though they do need to get someone on the roster who can run better and be a coverage LBer like Milano... obviously not as good as Milano, but someone who can spot fill as needed.  

14 hours ago, njbuff said:

I can actually see McBeane doing this.

They cannot be to thrilled with Maurice Alexander’s game as a fill-in starter.

But that’s for them to decipher. ?

They love guys with diverse skill sets.  I mean in a pinch Buchannon can also play safety, I am not sure how good he's been on special teams though and that cold be the real question to his value.  I need to do some research on that side of his game.  See if there are reports from his time in Arizona. 

8 minutes ago, MR8 said:

Lol, he's not a starter, he'd be rotational at best, but his athleticism and skills got him taken in the 1st round.  The guy is much better than you're giving him credit for.  He's well worth a flier on a FA signing with no risk.  

He is much worse than you ae giving him credit for. Honestly he is done in the NFL. 

8 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

He is much worse than you ae giving him credit for. Honestly he is done in the NFL. 

Hmmmm....

Giants signed LB Deone Bucannon.

The 2014 first-round bust was waived by the Bucs 13 days ago. In theory, 27-year-old Bucannon brings versatility to a defense. In reality, he will probably begin as a healthy scratch and is unlikely to make it more than a few weeks in the Big Apple.

Oct 22, 2019, 4:14 PM ET