John Brown is playing like a #1 WR

YoloinOhio

6 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I always liked Brown. I was thrilled when we signed him and he has played great. The problem with any discussion about a "#1 WR" is that ten people have ten different definitions of exactly what "#1 WR" exactly means.

I think the consistency and clutch factors come into play 

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think the consistency and clutch factors come into play 

Absolutely. I love Brown, probably more than most, and yet "my" personal definition of a #1 WR he probably does not fit. There are only about 12-15 of them in the entire league. To me, Brown is clearly the best of a committee approach, even though he can do the entire route tree.

16 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I always liked Brown. I was thrilled when we signed him and he has played great. The problem with any discussion about a "#1 WR" is that ten people have ten different definitions of exactly what "#1 WR" exactly means.

I always liked Lou Piccone as a #1 WR. It that wrong?

• Haha (+1) 1

He's been the most pleasant surprise of the season so far as Allen finally has somebody that consistently gets separation and catches the darn ball almost every time.  We need somebody opposite him that has similar ability.

45 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

DE/edge, as well as OLB depth, are the biggest needs right now.  

I hope we sign Deone Bucannon sooner rather than later, he's a great fit for our defense in the similar mold to Edmunds and Milano... he's a converted safety with great rangey speed but can also play in the box.  

The prototypical #1 is not needed in today’s NFL. It’s actually worse for quarterbacks in some situations to have to force feed targets to those guys. Look at the very top receivers in the league. Most of them are on losing teams. Look what Rodgers did without his #1 yesterday. It’s a new league and the name of the game is weapons not #1 receivers. I have said since free agency josh has enough weapons that a good quarterback can make this a potent offense. Beasley and Kroft should be under 10 yard chain movers. Duke and Knox should be able to get your jump 50/50 balls. Foster and Brown are your deep threats. Only brown has shown he’s a threat anywhere not just deep. Plenty of weapons. We are as good as the saints offense. Just a matter of josh using his weapons correctly and making plays. 

• Like (+1) 1

The benefit of trading for a #1 receiver (AJ Green, Stefon Diggs comes to mind) is not only their potential, but also now we have much better match ups.

For example: John Brown always attracts their #1 corner.  The other team's Tre'Davious White, if you will.  
Now John Brown gets their Levi Wallace or Taron Johnson (#2 corner). 

Cole Beasley and Duke Williams gets their 3rd and 4th best corner.

We will be a matchup nightmare.  We don't need to throw it to AJ Green every play, but they have to cover him.  And often it will be with two people.

It's serendipitous you started this thread because this morning I really started asking myself:

With John Brown, is a "true #1 WR threat" really the need we thought it was in the upcoming offseason?

The guy has just been balling out.  And he really probably should have had over 150 yards receiving yesterday alone if Allen connects with him on that deep ball he got open for and throws it to him on that 3rd down instead of Beasley like Allen should have.

Other than I think one ball he dropped this year, Brown has been pretty spectacular and near flawless.

1 hour ago, Special K said:

I was happy when the Bills signed him, but he has exceeded my expectations.

I wasn't aware how good of a route runner he is....always finds a way to get separation and get open.

Agree. Far from 1 trick pony he looked like in AZ.

Also a fine example of how important QB WR chemistry is. He was good with Flacco but numbers dried up completely with Lamar. 

Ive been impressed with his hands. 

He had been very very good for us. Only thing I want to add is a reciever who can catch 8 to 12 catches a game and go up and get it to compliment Brown. Brown can definitely rack up yards which I like but I'd also like to get a bigger more consistent target who is open even when he is covered

54 minutes ago, MR8 said:

I hope we sign Deone Bucannon sooner rather than later, he's a great fit for our defense in the similar mold to Edmunds and Milano... he's a converted safety with great rangey speed but can also play in the box.  

That Florida kid they drafted seems like he’s meant to be Milano’s back up. But I guess the way he landed on IR it’s not happening this season 

• Like (+1) 1