John Brown is playing like a #1 WR

YoloinOhio

John Brown is on pace to do something that hasn't been done in Buffalo in more than a dozen years.

After making five catches for 83 yards during Sunday's 31-21 win over the Miami Dolphins at New Era Field, Brown has 473 receiving yards in the Bills' 5-1 start. That puts him on pace for 1,261 yards this season. If he gets there, he'd be the first Bills receiver to top 1,200 yards in a season since Lee Evans had 1,292 yards in 2006.

"He's looking like a No. 1 receiver, because he is a No. 1," defensive end Jerry Hughes said. "He's making all the big plays. Any time we need a big catch, he's doing it."

Brown ranks 16th in the NFL in total receiving yards, with 13 of the 15 players ahead of him on the list having played seven games. Among receivers, he's 12th in receiving yards. He also is one of only two players in the league with at least 50 yards receiving in all of his team's games, joining Michael Thomas of the New Orleans Saints.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 5

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Just need that deep ball connection 

he's already had a couple big ones that josh just couldn't get there.... missed him on a huge play in week one down the middle and then again this week on could have been a very large game or a house call with a broken tackle. that's just off the top of my head. 

hopefully those start dropping in. i'm confident they will. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 3

I was happy when the Bills signed him, but he has exceeded my expectations.

I wasn't aware how good of a route runner he is....always finds a way to get separation and get open.

Edited by Special K
  • Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Just need that deep ball connection 

I just wonder how Schwarz plays Allen this week.  He's not much of a cover 1 guy, I don't think, but I could see it this week.

Go after Allen and let him try to beat you over the top.  Do it until Allen can show he can connect on these deep balls....

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I just wonder how Schwarz plays Allen this week.  He's not much of a cover 1 guy, I don't think, but I could see it this week.

Go after Allen and let him try to beat you over the top.  Do it until Allen can show he can connect on these deep balls....

I’d imagine he’s going to blitz quite heavily.  Allen has shown he can’t handle it 

Isn't that why he was brought in?  to BE the #1??? 

he's breaking records if I heard correctly 

Most targets /catches in his first 6 games 

hell he did it in week 1 too  v

John Brown breaks team record in Buffalo Bills debut - Bills Wire

Edited by SlimShady'sGhost
  • Like (+1) 1

The day of a big dominant play making number one WR being a necessity is over. There’s a variety of ways to put points on the board these days, and having a guy like Brown as the number one is more than good enough. With that said, the most important element in a modern offense is having more than one guy who can step up. Moving forward it’s going to be crucial for guys behind Brown and Beasley to make plays. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

He doesn’t seem to have the personnel in the secondary to run cover 1 effectively but need to look at it more 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Happy Gilmore said:

DE/edge, as well as OLB depth, are the biggest needs right now.  

I admit, part of that is me wanting to see Duke Williams continue to develop - as he seems to have the complimentary traits - paired with the WRs seemingly available. If Browns were making moves I'd take OBJ over an edge player. But as it stands I think pass rush could increase our turnover rate and help the offense with some short fields.

• Thank you (+1) 1