Daboll - Grade Him

ngbills

59 minutes ago, Ayjent said:

They don't run that well and they don't pass that well either.  Neither aspect is good enough to be too much one or the other.  They do best when they get a good balance and don't telegraph whether they are passing or running by formation.  What really drives me crazy is how predictable they are based on formation - they rarely use play-action from what looks like heavy run sets.  When they do - they have been very successful.  They rarely run when they have a wide spread formation unless it is Allen, and I'm just not that keen on him being an occasional running back if you are trying to have a long-term franchise QB. 

Agreed.

The one I hate is the empty backfield.  Earth to Defense, we're going to pass. :)

...this is a very telling post from another thread.....check out his resume'......two "one year and done" stints and a two year stint with HC Mangini & the Browns......hmmmm....HINT: bigger (number) ain't better...............

On 10/28/2019 at 9:33 PM, DuckyBoys said:

Daboll's offenses rankings in pts per game

2009  29th

2010 31st

2011 20th

2018 30th

2019 24th

not exactly confidence inspiring

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

5 hours ago, Seven-N-Nine said:

Daboll seems to lack the ability to understand the flow of a game, he kills his own drives too often.

Never wants to stick with what is working and throw in an occasional wrinkle. Instead it is oh we just run the ball 3 times and gained 5+ yards each time. Lets surprise them and throw 15 straight passes. 

• Like (+1) 1

Not certain if I’m cherry-picking here, but seems he knows how to get out of the shadow of the Bills’ own end zone and score TDs in the red zone quite well. But, between their own 35 and opponent’s 20 his play calling is quite inept. Maybe JA bails him out scrambling in the first two situations (and on 3rd down) to make him look better than he actually is?

Play calling is not the issue. Just watch the games. Guys are getting open. Would I like to see a bigger commitment to the run game, play action, and double TE...yes.  But even when they go five wide and hurry up Josh has moved the ball. 

They are beating themselves most of the time.

They are being physically beaten at the LOS, the running back has power but no speed, everyone except Brown drops the ball, and they have drive killing penalties.

I am officially in the "I want Daboll gone," camp.

He has shown that he's capable of calling good games.  Unfortunately, he's also shown that he can rarely, if ever, do that in consecutive weeks, let alone with any semblance of consistency.

His resume is pathetic for a reason.  He's in way over his head and McDermott needs to address it.

• Like (+1) 2

On 10/21/2019 at 4:14 PM, r00tabaga said:

This one's easy. His grade is an A. He's taking a college project out of Wyoming and got him to lead a 5 - 1 team that hasn't had much success in 20 years.

This year he has nine new starters.

This.

On 10/28/2019 at 8:09 PM, BUNCH OF MULARKEY said:

He definatly went angry Uncle Fester when Josh threw the second pick vs. N E.   At home with friends/ family there.  

He needs to go upstairs and concentrate on his own business.

image.jpeg

If Josh can't handle being treated like a big boy, he shouldn't be out there. He deserved the treatment and handled it well. Have you never been yelled at by your parents for something you did? 

B to a B+

It was mentioned here earlier, nine new starters on offense and a 2nd year QB who is still raw and learning. The only starters from last year on offense are Dawkins and Allen. That's essentially a whole new offensive line that is still working to gel. New WRs where timing is still a work in progress. New TEs and the FA "starter" (Kroft) is just coming back from injury. Gore(who I like) and a rookie at RB, plus we got rid of Shady. For those who say we should run more, of the teams that have played 7 games this year, we are 6th in rush attempts and rush attempts per game(26.7). If I take that avg. and add it to 1 more game, we're still # 10 in rushing attempts when compared to teams that have played 8 games and the Cards having played 9 games. I didn't expect much in the 1st half of the season due to all of the changes in personnel. He's not the reason for our 2 losses either. NE is NE, Josh and special teams had a major hand in that loss. The Philly loss was due to all facets. Offense, defense, ST and coaching. I expect the offense to get better as the season get's to the 2nd 1/2. Just not sure if it will show up in the #'s as we still have the Browns, Cowboys, Ravens, Steelers and Pats coming up. 

Edit: If Josh had even an avg. game vs. the Pats, we win and we're 6-1. If that was the case, Daboll would have a solid B+ to an A in my book.

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

I am officially in the "I want Daboll gone," camp.

He has shown that he's capable of calling good games.  Unfortunately, he's also shown that he can rarely, if ever, do that in consecutive weeks, let alone with any semblance of consistency.

His resume is pathetic for a reason.  He's in way over his head and McDermott needs to address it.

I'm not in that camp yet, but i've looked around the grounds, seen a couple of spots that seem pretty attractive.

i will disagree with you on one thing, he's not shown ability to call a good game.  he can call good drives and certainly has dialed up some solid plays, particularly in the redzone, but he seems to call the game like he's playing madden, just rando throwing plays around and if something sticks, keep going rando.  except for goofy empty back field stuff and high risk low reward qb sweeps, he's got those hot keyed and mashes em quite often.

2 hours ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

The average fan knows and understands less about offensive coordinating than any other aspect of the game. 

He's run Gore  and Singletary for a combined  30 carries over the past 2 games.  That's a total.  For 2 guys.  Singletary, over 4 games, is averaging 5 carries.

Yeah, coordinating an offense is so mysterious to us laypeople!  Because to us, that doesn't look right.

• Like (+1) 2

Can't we just say that execution is the problem and that is OK? Allen is a second year project QB; he struggles. We have 2 returning starters; the whole struggles. That is fine, but guys are open, we run the ball well. We just don't execute.  All Daboll can do is make sure those things are true. Mission accomplished. The problem is execution, and it sucks, but it is OK because the corp of the offense is young/new and learning each other. If at the end of the year they don't improve, that is one thing. But to say this right now is, well, childish and just shows a lack of understanding.  

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

He's run Gore  and Singletary for a combined  30 carries over the past 2 games.  That's a total.  For 2 guys.  Singletary, over 4 games, is averaging 5 carries.

Yeah, coordinating an offense is so mysterious to us laypeople!  Because to us, that doesn't look right.

Its a passing league, WEO, the offense either figures out how to do it effectively, or we die in mediocrity. You want a superbowl? This young offense needs to learn how to pass the ball. 

19 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Can't we just say that execution is the problem and that is OK? Allen is a second year project QB; he struggles. We have 2 returning starters; the whole struggles. That is fine, but guys are open, we run the ball well. We just don't execute.  All Daboll can do is make sure those things are true. Mission accomplished. The problem is execution, and it sucks, but it is OK because the corp of the offense is young/new and learning each other. If at the end of the year they don't improve, that is one thing. But to say this right now is, well, childish and just shows a lack of understanding.  

Its a passing league, WEO, the offense either figures out how to do it effectively, or we die in mediocrity. You want a superbowl? This young offense needs to learn how to pass the ball. 

Come on!  You pass more effectively when the Defense doesn't assume you won't run the ball.  15 RB carries a game!  That's a joke---even in "a passing league".

Lack of understanding?  You just said "we run the ball well".  Yikes...

• Like (+1) 1