Daboll - Grade Him

ngbills

13 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It is not though. It is proof that other than in particular situations this team is a pass first offense and exactly as it should be. 

Look at the Dolphins game. Passing first puts all the pressure to make plays on the QB... which really is the not smart thing to do with a young, inexperienced QB.

The Bills started that first series with an 8 yard Gore run and then 2 incomplete passes, JA run off RT for no gain (penalty on Ford - 10 yards), incomplete pass. While this drive eventually led to a 3 point FG. My point being Gore had an initial 8 yard run and 3 incomplete passes followed. Why not run Gore or Singletary on second and two? 

That first series in the second half is exactly how it should be from the start with 6 runs, 6 passes, a 98 yard drive for a TD and two point conversion. Perfection!

20 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

Look at the Dolphins game. Passing first puts all the pressure to make plays on the QB... which really is the not smart thing to do with a young, inexperienced QB.

The Bills started that first series with an 8 yard Gore run and then 2 incomplete passes, JA run off RT for no gain (penalty on Ford - 10 yards), incomplete pass. While this drive eventually led to a 3 point FG. My point being Gore had an initial 8 yard run and 3 incomplete passes followed. Why not run Gore or Singletary on second and two? 

That first series in the second half is exactly how it should be from the start with 6 runs, 6 passes, a 98 yard drive for a TD and two point conversion. Perfection!

Yes and crazy to be complaining about a Bills team not running enough. There needs to be a balance and feel for the game. Way too often Gore has an 8 yard run and then is not running again for 7 plays. Mix it up a little. Take the pressure off your young QB. Give him some easier throws to hit. Mix in the more complicated stuff. 

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

They only ran 3 times because it was from the 2.

I would say "B". 

-I see huge improvement from last year.  Most importantly, I see significant improvement in Allen. 

-At least how he comes across in pressers, he seems balanced and fair - he takes responsibility, and points out mistakes across the offense without throwing anyone under the bus

-We haven't heard inklings of the Out of Control Screamer that he apparently was at times during his OC stint in Cleveland - hopefully he's learned to channel that more constructively.

-at times, his playcalling is situationally appropriate and brilliant, and his plays seem well designed

-at other times, his playcalling seems strange and his play design seems unnecessarily cute and overly complicated - like having the RG and center both pull to sell a play action from shotgun.  Maybe the play would work better if the center were still in the center blocking and Allen felt certain that he had a bit more time?  And maybe it would "sell" better if scouting showed us having a higher percentage of rushes from shotgun?  That kind of thing. 

My question is whether Daboll sees himself as trying to improve and do better every week (in which case, our offense may continue to improve) or whether he sees himself as "The Man" already, in which case I'm concerned that what we've got is better than other OCs we've had in here, but Not Quite Ready for Primetime.

23 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

They only ran 3 times because it was from the 2.

? OP to which you're responding is talking about the first drive of the game as a rush followed by two incomplete passes, and only 3 rushes total (including 1 by Allen).  It started from the Buff 25 and never went back from that.

Drive that started from 2 and went 98 yds was very balanced.

Bills are 24 out of 32 teams in points scored.  I think have better than the 24th best talent on offense.  I think the defense puts them in favorable positions more often than 24th best.  I think its clear Daboll's offense under performs vs. reasonable expectations.

I remember people in school who were smart, just not good test takers.   Daboll must be like them, really good at coaching, just not good at scoring points. 

We’re 5-1 so everyone must be doing a great job. That’s how it works right?

He’s been decent. I don’t understand his plan with Singletary though. How does he not get more involved in this offense?

Edited by Bangarang

On 10/21/2019 at 1:56 PM, MAJBobby said:

Solid B

He is the OC of a 5-1 football team and Allen is looking better than he did last year

Roman wasn't bad. In fact, he was handicapped considerably by a QB who couldn't or wouldn't throw. Run heavy, maybe, but what choice did he have?

4 hours ago, Captain Murica said:

I’m probably the only one thinking like this but I’m kind of hoping Daboll gets a HC job by some miracle and Dorsey gets a shot to be our OC.   

C- 

I agree with this.

My take is Daboll attempts out think everyone with his pass first offense, and this is still a very raw, inexperienced QB under center that shouldn't have the offense put on his shoulders by passing first. If this team had Greg Roman, Anthony Lynn as OC and the team was leading the NFL in rushing like they did for a few years under them. I think this years team with the current defense would be blowing out these scrub teams instead of squeaking by them.

If that were the case the next five games the 3-4 Eagles, 1-6 Redskins, 2-4 Browns, 0-6 Dolphins, 2-5 Broncos wouldn't even be a question. The Cowboys, Ravens and Patriots would be the only real challenges on the schedule...and even then! 

• Like (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

I agree with this.

My take is Daboll attempts out think everyone with his pass first offense, and this is still a very raw, inexperienced QB under center that shouldn't have the offense put on his shoulders by passing first. If this team had Greg Roman, Anthony Lynn as OC and the team was leading the NFL in rushing like they did for a few years under them. I think this years team with the current defense would be blowing out these scrub teams instead of squeaking by them.

If that were the case the next five games the 3-4 Eagles, 1-6 Redskins, 2-4 Browns, 0-6 Dolphins, 2-5 Broncos wouldn't even be a question. The Cowboys, Ravens and Patriots would be the only real challenges on the schedule...and even then! 

We are 10th in run play percentage. Daboll is running more than average.

We're passing 56.96% of the time, when the team that's 4th rather than 10th, Seattle, runs 53.12% of the time. That's not a large difference.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/passing-play-pct

IMO Daboll is doing a really good job.

• Like (+1) 1

We're 17th in yards per game which is pretty good considering we have a 2nd year QB who is as hard to train as a pitbull puppy, a lead running back who fought valiantly at Normandy, an offensive line who still has to wear name tags at position meetings, a rookie #1 tight end that had more parking tickets than touchdowns in college, and the best average WR core that a Buffalo GM can buy.  I'd give him a B.  Great play calling in the red zone but would it kill you to throw some screens?

21 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

I agree with this.

How is it pass first, when the team never throws for 300?  The Bills are 21st in the league passing.....  They have played the #1, 8, 14, 28, 30 & 32 Defenses...... 

Philadelphia is 18th.

Should have piled up the points & yards in 3 of them.

4 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

How is it pass first, when the team never throws for 300?  The Bills are 21st in the league passing.....  They have played the #1, 8, 14, 28, 30 & 32 Defenses...... 

Philadelphia is 18th.

Should have piled up the points & yards in 3 of them.

Like GunnerBill stated, this is an offense that usually comes out passing.

Now, consider that WR John Brown has stated that this current Buffalo Bills offense is the most complex offense he has been involved with. There is a real reason as to why Josh Allen comes out stumbling most games. Its because the offense is on his shoulders to make plays. At this point in his development he should be part of an offensive scheme and not the focal point of making things happen. 

The Bills say they don't want Allen to play "hero ball" and yet that's exactly what he usually needs to do to win the game with the comebacks in the second half of many games this year. (If he wasn't knocked out of the game by the Patriots cheap shot, some say he could have had another comeback win.)

My point being, is the Bills defense is ranked currently #3 overall and would look even better with a run first offensive scheme that led the NFL in rushing like it did under Roman and Lynn in 2015-2016. 

The Bills now have a QB that isn't afraid to throw it to a receiver unless that receiver is wide open. They now have a solid offensive line that is perhaps better all around then what they have fielded since the 90's. They just need to fix the mental errors so they stop shooting themselves in the foot with stupid penalties. This line looks to have some road grading monsters that does so well when they absolutely need to... Like at the end of the Titans game where they played keep away for four minutes! 

That final drive went left end Frank Gore for -1 yards, and they didn't give up the run game after that negative run. Next play, TJ Yeldon off RG for 11 yards! Frank Gore up the middle for 11 yards. Frank Gore left end 19 yards. Frank Gore left tackle 4 yards. Frank Gore up the middle for 3 yards. Josh Allen off left end for a first down, Kneel, kneel.

Thing of beauty for four min to win the game!! 

Yes, this team is 5-1 and Yes, is in the hunt for a WC. Although, like i said they are squeaking by against the scrub teams when they should be dominating them. I feel this offense would have more passing yards if they ran to setup the pass.

Lets not forget that this offense is the best offense Brian Daboll has ever fielded and it would be even better if he realized he doesn't have an elite QB throwing it. He has a young, talented inexperienced QB still learning his craft.

P.S. Go back and look at that 4th quarter performance against the Patriots by Matt Barkley. In less then around 10 min of playing time Barkley was sacked, intercepted, called for delay of game, fumbled and the O line had a false start. It's not just Josh Allen. 

• Like (+1) 2

13 hours ago, Bangarang said:

We’re 5-1 so everyone must be doing a great job. That’s how it works right?

He’s been decent. I don’t understand his plan with Singletary though. How does he not get more involved in this offense?

I am still not sure Singletary is a big volume guy.