Daboll - Grade Him

ngbills

Not him its Allen. The bad deep throws  .The non ability to see open receivers. Its all Allen. The run game would be better. If Allen picks up his play. I think Daboll is doing a fine job. Allen is just really raw. Should let him laser the ball on deep throws. Doesnt have the touch on those deep high floating passes

19 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Duh, did you not read the post? He has "done this a lot" so no need to provide you with specifics. 

ok, so it I did not miss something.....I do remember a 4th and long 1 or 2 they sneaked it that was definitely questionable.  But again, the body of work for the play calling, I like what I see, sure I would change a few things.  But who thinks they can call plays and never get second guessed?  LOL

2 minutes ago, mattynh said:

ok, so it I did not miss something.....I do remember a 4th and long 1 or 2 they sneaked it that was definitely questionable.  But again, the body of work for the play calling, I like what I see, sure I would change a few things.  But who thinks they can call plays and never get second guessed?  LOL

Yea there was one 4th and 2. It was a bad call I think they wanted to quick snap it then the officials ran in and the play took too long and the defense knew and was set. But where all these other occasions come in I have no idea. 

2 hours ago, Buffaloed in Pa said:

Not him its Allen. The bad deep throws  .The non ability to see open receivers. Its all Allen. The run game would be better. If Allen picks up his play. I think Daboll is doing a fine job. Allen is just really raw. Should let him laser the ball on deep throws. Doesnt have the touch on those deep high floating passes

Yup, It's all on Allen as every QB in the NFL finds the open receiver every time except Josh.

No one has ever missed a deep ball either and only Allen throws Ints......  

Then come the 4th quarter Allen finally follows Daboll's plan and Daboll engineers all those points. 

Again the question is how the Bills in close games (seem to score in the 4th when needed), but not so much in 1-3......

They've scored 53 points in the 4th (not including the on-side kick vs. Miami) with Allen, so are averaging 10.6 & have scored 61 points in the first 3 quarters or 12.2 so to me that is the most interesting stat.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/4th-quarter-points-per-game

Sheez.....  

9 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I keep saying it but I just do not think that is who Josh Allen is. He is not a persist with the run game to pull the defense up and then throw over the top guy. He needs to be asked to throw the ball consistently to get the best out of him. There are QBs who can hand it off 5 plays in 7 but then be on the money with those two throws. That isn't Josh Allen. The 98 yard drive they started with three runs to get them from under their own posts and then from there went 6 passes and 3 runs. That is the formula for getting the best out of Josh and it is actually helping the productivity of our run game because since the first week we have seen an ever decreasing number of stacked boxes against us. 

That is basically what I'd be looking for in running first to get the defense thinking stop the run first and then move to more passing. I never mentioned more runs then passes.

Proof, that, that idea will work. 

I’m never sure he has a game plan. I say the same thing every Sunday. It seems to me he focuses on the passing attack too much. So I guess I’d like to see the Bills establish their ground game. At least that’s what I thought we were going to see in 2019. Is it just me?

I’d give him a B- so far. A few questionable calls ( QB sneak on 4th and 2, deep pass on 3rd and 5 ), but mostly good. Bills have moved the ball pretty well , have scoring issues due to penalties, bad QB decisions, a few drops etc. That’s not on Daboll. Last year was tough to evaluate with the lack of talent. Talent this year is upgraded, but far from elite. He’s done better than I expected overall. Bills scoring would be a lot better if they clean up their own errors, so I don’t have much of a problem with Daboll. 

Solid C

He needs to run the freaking ball more esp when they are avg. 5+ yards per carry in a game, that would open up the play action and the deep ball. 

........give him a B...suggested (strictly opinion) areas of improvement:.....less gimmicks and gadgets........better utilization of offensive talent (plenty here have pointed out specifics) and playing 60 minutes of football (3rd quarter lethargy is maddening).......

10 hours ago, Buffaloed in Pa said:

Not going to flame you, but I think Daboll outsmarts himself at times, so it is not all on your green QB with all of 17 games under his belt. There are times Allen does not see the open guy or his outlet option, he also gets a woody when he gets a cover 0 look and launches those passes into sub-orbit.

But I also remember our team holding onto a slim lead with a lot of time on the clock and he calls 3 straight low-percentage passes to guys that were blanketed, this after our running game had been gashing them all day. So no time off the clock and our special teams has to punt it deep and our defense is forced to make a stop. Next series it was like Gore for 4, Gore for 9, Gore for 20, Gore for 1, Gore for 3, and then fake to Gore - Allen on a naked bootleg 1st down game over... we chewed up the clock. That is just one example.

Daboll is not all bad and neither is Allen. Together they make a pretty decent combination, but both have room to grow.

Edited by WideNine

Dabol is C- to a D. Offense operates in sputters. Designed run plays for Allen on first and second down between the 40’s? Give me a break. Trying to force an air raid offense when we don’t have the receivers for it and all the while the RBs are averaging 6 yards a carry. The guy is bi-polar. 

39 minutes ago, WideNine said:

Not going to flame you, but I think Daboll outsmarts himself at times, so it is not all on your green QB with all of 17 games under his belt. There are time Allen does not see the open guy or his outlet option, he gets a woody when he gets a cover 0 look and launches those passes into sub-orbit.

But I also remember our team holding onto a slim lead with a lot of time on the clock and he calls 3 straight low-percentage passes to guys that were blanketed, this after are running game had been gashing them all day. So no time off the clock and our special teams has to punt it deep and our defense is forced to make a stop. Next series it is Gore for 9, Gore for 4, Gore for 20, and then Allen on a naked bootleg... we chewed up the clock. That is just one example.

Daboll is not all bad and neither is Allen. Together they make a pretty decent combination, but both have room to grow.

He doesn’t know the receivers are going to be blanketed when he calls a play you know.

17 minutes ago, FireChans said:

He doesn’t know the receivers are going to be blanketed when he calls a play you know.

If they have been all game one might think it will be similar right? Its like he is thinking if I run a pass now they will be caught off guard. Oh shucks they weren't. Maybe if do it again they will. No dice. Maybe one more try. Oh crap, next time I am just going to run it. 

3 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

That is basically what I'd be looking for in running first to get the defense thinking stop the run first and then move to more passing. I never mentioned more runs then passes.

Proof, that, that idea will work. 

It is not though. It is proof that other than in particular situations this team is a pass first offense and exactly as it should be.