Daboll - Grade Him

ngbills

Against the Dolphins I feel we could have almost run at will.  Some games it almost feels like they are putting more of the burden on Allen by design.  Given we have no superstars on offense Dabol has done a fine job but he does make me scratch my head at times with cutesy play calls

1 hour ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Again this is not an elite defense.  It is a good one, but not Elite....  Stop it.

It is pretty obvious that having one of the worst offenses year after year  has resulted in such low expectations.

The defense is not all time elite, but is elite in relation to this season in the NFL. I don’t have low expectations for the offense, I have realistic ones. I don’t want Josh Allen throwing the ball 30 times at this point in his career. It hasn’t been successful. He was a different QB when we established the running game in the second half. Allen and the team both benefit from doing so. This offense is most dangerous with the running game being a key element. Coming out of the gate with Allen throwing the ball almost every down is not the best recipe for success at this point. He’s a second year QB, there is no reason to expect him to carry the team at this point. In the first half Daboll called the offense in a manner that forces Allen to carry the offense. 

5 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

The defense is not all time elite, but is elite in relation to this season in the NFL. I don’t have low expectations for the offense, I have realistic ones. I don’t want Josh Allen throwing the ball 30 times at this point in his career. It hasn’t been successful. He was a different QB when we established the running game in the second half. Allen and the team both benefit from doing so. This offense is most dangerous with the running game being a key element. Coming out of the gate with Allen throwing the ball almost every down is not the best recipe for success at this point. He’s a second year QB, there is no reason to expect him to carry the team at this point. In the first half Daboll called the offense in a manner that forces Allen to carry the offense. 

How come Kyler Murray can throw for 300 in his first NFL start, but excuses abound for this Offense?

How have the Bills gone 40+ games without a 300 yard game (yes a #, but a standard often sited)?

6 hours ago, ngbills said:

The Bills are 5-1. It is undeniable that they have a defense in the top of the league. The offense is another story. 

What are your opinions of Daboll? How much of the struggle is on the players vs the play calling / scheme? 

The first half of the Dolphins game was killing me. Showed some patterns from the entire season, but against a bad team I expected better. Some of 

Yesterday especially boneheaded:

Designed runs to Allen vs the worst team in the NFL. Once in a while, sure. But really, we trying to get him hurt. Not needed in this game, especially in the first quarter.

Gore - Drive #1 - First play 8 yard run; only one more run that drive. Drive #2 - Gore 10yd run first play; zero runs rest of drive. We never establish the run even thought Gore is breaking off long runs consistently. 

All Seaon:

Long Developing plays. Way too many routes that take forever for a guy to get where he needs to be. 

Getting into a flow. This offense has struggled getting into a flow. A lot of times one play sets them back. 

Cutesy Plays - Once in while ok. But too many of these we are going to fool you plays. Save them for the right spots not 3 times in one drive. 

Getting calls in - Allen seems frantic trying to get the ball snapped way too often. 

Identity - Are we pass happy team? A running team that can pass? Do we adjust to the defense playing? Can we adjust to schemes?

B+

Im going to score him a lot higher than most Bills fans will.  You have to consider the parts he has to work with starting with Allen.  He’s trying to get Allen to be a different type of QB than he was last year, which is no easy task.  He has improved his completion percentage by a lot and looks a lot better with short throws.

He has good talent at WR but really lacks a big time play maker.  You could say the same for the RB’s too.

Plus the team is moving the ball more effectively than last year.  Unfortunately there have been a lot of turnover and drops which resulted in a lower scoring total, but that could change.  

51 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

How come Kyler Murray can throw for 300 in his first NFL start, but excuses abound for this Offense?

How have the Bills gone 40+ games without a 300 yard game (yes a #, but a standard often sited)?

I get your point, but it’s not making excuses. We haven’t had a 300 yard passer in so long because we haven’t a QB. I’m very confident in Allen, he’s just not ready to carry the team. A balanced attack suits us best at this point. If we put points on the board it really doesn’t matter if Allen passes for 300. We need him to grow, and whatever it take to win, I’m good with that. 

I think he has some good ideas schematically...

But I do agree on some plays it seems like our routes just take way too long to develop. I remember a replay being shown on a 3rd and 5 where John Brown ran a complex 15 yard route before he turned his head and Allen had already been brought to the ground before he even did. 

I will also say that I think Allen makes him look worse than he is sometimes. 

5-1 is nice, but I tend to look at it more in the lens of do we have the QB/OC package to beat a top team with the season on the line...and I highly question that as of right now. 

7 hours ago, Lurker said:

Incomplete.   

It would help to know how much leeway Allen has to change the play.   And how often he does so...

Yes, that is an unknown.  There was a play after we took the lead on like 3rd and five where Allen threw it deep and I wondered why they didn’t just try for the first down.  We don’t know if that was the play call or if Allen reverted to hero-ball again.

Edited by ColeB

I'll go with a C+ as I am not a fan of his. I don't think he calls good games consistently but he does have some moments. However, he totally abandons the run game for stretches during the game. I know they are trying to be more of a passing offense but if Josh is struggling and the run game is working why abandon the run game. He can easily be replaced but as mentioned previously he is better than Roman. 

This offense should be about developing Josh Allen into a franchise QB while also making the offense productive.

Allen is forced to dig the offense out of far, far to many holes because of dumb, stupid penalties to the tune of around 8 per game game so far. The other major issue is the play calls coming in late so the offense needs to call a time out or suffer a penalty. Its not on Allen either because this happened with Matt Barkley in there against the Patriots. 

I would like to see the Bills rush game more productive from the start of the game. Run to setup the pass and make teams fear that run game and when teams move up to stack the box have Allen throw behind them. This team also needs to find the deep pass to make those DBs play off the line and put the fear of god into them.

1 hour ago, Nihilarian said:

I would like to see the Bills rush game more productive from the start of the game. Run to setup the pass and make teams fear that run game and when teams move up to stack the box have Allen throw behind them. This team also needs to find the deep pass to make those DBs play off the line and put the fear of god into them.

I keep saying it but I just do not think that is who Josh Allen is. He is not a persist with the run game to pull the defense up and then throw over the top guy. He needs to be asked to throw the ball consistently to get the best out of him. There are QBs who can hand it off 5 plays in 7 but then be on the money with those two throws. That isn't Josh Allen. The 98 yard drive they started with three runs to get them from under their own posts and then from there went 6 passes and 3 runs. That is the formula for getting the best out of Josh and it is actually helping the productivity of our run game because since the first week we have seen an ever decreasing number of stacked boxes against us. 

11 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Again this is not an elite defense.  It is a good one, but not Elite....  Stop it.

It is pretty obvious that having one of the worst offenses year after year  has resulted in such low expectations.

Yeah, um, no.

They're elite. They were very very good last year, and this year they're playing at an elite standard. That could change as the year goes on, of course, but right now it's not even a question.

Third in yards, third in points and third in DVOA. That's elite.

3 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yeah, um, no.

They're elite. They were very very good last year, and this year they're playing at an elite standard. That could change as the year goes on, of course, but right now it's not even a question.

Third in yards, third in points and third in DVOA. That's elite.

3rd in yards per play

3rd in % of drives against ending in a score

9th in 3rd down % (this week dropped them 6 places on that metric)

14 hours ago, cd1 said:

Really? Third down 4 yards to go and he calls a QB sneak?  

It seems to me that Daboll has done this a lot and maybe he thinks NO ONE would ever suspect THAT play and the Bills could score BIG.

So when did the Bills QB sneak on 3rd and 4?