Daboll - Grade Him

ngbills

C. His play calling and running his scheme no matter what gets us into trouble. I'm happy it's a modern, nuanced scheme. I just think that this is a play action team and the run needs to be established first and fore most. Miami went into this week giving up 169 yards on the ground. There was absolutely zero reason that Gore and Singletary should not have been fed the ball at the beginning of the game. We probably could have ran every play and scored a touchdown on the opening possession.

Sure, you can point to the one or two deep shots that Allen missed and put it all on him if you like. But in the end, there needs to be a much bigger emphasis on high percentage passing plays and the run game. You see a lot of teams that are taking deep shots to wide open receivers. Those receivers are open because they have the defense committed to stopping the short passing game and the run game. Dabol dives head first into the intermediate/long game right from the get go. It's playing to the strengths of his QB, sure, but is it really successful? Does it make sense against teams who have a good pass defense?

I think that, if McDermott knew much about offense, he would have taken over play calling much like he did with Fraizer last year.

• Like (+1) 2

Who’s in charge of beating it into Josh’s head to throw the ball away, take the easy pass, don’t tuck and run, don’t hold the ball too long, recognize a blitz, not every pass should be full speed, etc?  Josh is getting better at those things. Slowly. I’m not sure how much of this stuff is on Daboll, and how much is on Josh.  

It’s hard to judge the play design and play calls without understanding the division of responsibilities. 

It’s getting better, but I still think they have a way to go.   B- now, but I could see that going up or down over the next several games. 

• Like (+1) 1

Daboll is good, but he relies too much on Allen's arm. I'd like to see us run more. I'd especially like to see Singletary get more carries to see if he can be a #1 RB or if we need to continue to upgrade that position. B-

Edited by GreggTX

I see a night and day difference between the play calling this year an any recent year and frankly,  I am quite happy with the play calling.  The Bills are #2 in adjusted pass play % only behind the Chiefs.   While I think they should work to balance more I think this shows a concerted effort to change this offense from what we have watched for the last 15 years to a modern NFL offense.   We have been in the stone ages.   I do agree that the designed runs to Allen are perplexing but I like the overall design.  The running game is super efficient.   Pass protection is a concern but Josh reading the defense and making the right throw is the biggest issue.  And dont take that as a "Josh Allen hater", he is not seeing everything as he could but with time I hope that gets better.   He was getting beat consistently by the all out blitz yesterday, when a seasoned QB would make you pay for doing that (at least once in a while).  With the Dolphins it seemed to always be successful.  I think Allen is the big factor.

Playcalling is a go to excuse when things dont go the way fans want.  

Edited by mattynh
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

Gore was breaking off ten yard runs against an historically poor opponent, there was no reason to run the offense like you have Rodgers or Brees back there. I’d prefer to let Allen learn before throwing so much responsibility on him. QB’s like Brady and Roethlisberger were not who they are today when they won their first titles. They played on teams that took advantage of having great defense while easing their young QB into a future role of carrying the team. 

That is what I was thinking. When we are up 14-0 then start flinging it around mixed in with runs. I felt like he tried hard early to get Allen going vs letting the team establish the run as they could not stop it. 

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, r00tabaga said:

This one's easy. His grade is an A. He's taking a college project out of Wyoming and got him to lead a 5 - 1 team that hasn't had much success in 20 years.

This year he has nine new starters.

This is something that does not get talked about.   There are a lot of new players on offense across the board, its not just the starters.  To make that all work out of the gate is hard.

8 minutes ago, mattynh said:

I see a night and day difference between the play calling this year an any recent year and frankly,  I am quite happy with the play calling.  The Bills are #2 in adjusted pass play % only behind the Chiefs.   While I think they should work to balance more I think this shows a concerted effort to change this offense from what we have watched for the last 15 years to a modern NFL offense.   We have been in the stone ages.   I do agree that the designed runs to Allen are perplexing but I like the overall design.  The running game is super efficient.   Pass protection is a concern but Josh reading the defense and making the right throw is the biggest issue.  And dont take that as a "Josh Allen hater", he is not seeing everything as he could but with time I hope that gets better.   He was getting beat up by the all out blitz yesterday, when a seasoned QB would make you pay for doing that (at least once in a while).  With the Dolphins it seemed to always be successful.  I think Allen is the big factor.

Playcalling is a go to excuse when things dont go the way fans want.  

Really? Third down 4 yards to go and he calls a QB sneak?  

It seems to me that Daboll has done this a lot and maybe he thinks NO ONE would ever suspect THAT play and the Bills could score BIG.

6 minutes ago, cd1 said:

Really? Third down 4 yards to go and he calls a QB sneak?  

It seems to me that Daboll has done this a lot and maybe he thinks NO ONE would ever suspect THAT play and the Bills could score BIG.

I dont remember a QB sneak on 3rd and 4.  But as I said, there are some things I would change.   But at the end of the day, I like a lot more than I don't like.  I dont care who calls the plays, fans will complain about some aspect of play calling.  Again, it's a modern NFL offensive design and is allowing Allen to get a lot of experience throwing the ball.   I don't like the designed runs.   But find a team whose fans all think the play calling is great, that does not exist.  It is easy and the first thing to criticize.

Edited by mattynh

40 minutes ago, ngbills said:

That is what I was thinking. When we are up 14-0 then start flinging it around mixed in with runs. I felt like he tried hard early to get Allen going vs letting the team establish the run as they could not stop it. 

Agree, Allen was always viewed as a raw prospect who needs time to develop. I simply like the idea of easing him into a more prominent role slowly over time. Leaning on the run game with an elite defense while Allen learns seems preferable to me.  I’d say it’s better than the sink or swim method of throwing the ball on every down. This team can win with Allen as a game manager, and I can’t believe I’m advocating that after the Tyrod years. The difference is Allen’s arm strength, even in a game manager role, he can make throws that are game changing. He’s also a player than can lead a team back if they fall behind. However, give him time to learn, and lean on him when we need to. Let’s not try to run the Chiefs offense or something like that. Allen isn’t ready for it. 

2 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

Agree, Allen was always viewed as a raw prospect who needs time to develop. I simply like the idea of easing him into a more prominent role slowly over time. Leaning on the run game with an elite defense while Allen learns seems preferable to me.  I’d say it’s better than the sink or swim method of throwing the ball on every down. This team can win with Allen as a game manager, and I can’t believe I’m advocating that after the Tyrod years. The difference is Allen’s arm strength, even in a game manager role, he can make throws that are game changing. He’s also a player than can lead a team back if they fall behind. However, give him time to learn, and lean on him when we need to. Let’s not try to run the Chiefs offense or something like that. Allen isn’t ready for it. 

Again this is not an elite defense.  It is a good one, but not Elite....  Stop it.

It is pretty obvious that having one of the worst offenses year after year  has resulted in such low expectations.

I’d give him a solid B as well, he is just now getting better quality players, Josh is progressing nicely, albeit needs refinement, but we all new that going in. Imo next year at this time we will know more about the potential as to being a franchise guy. This could of course come faster as this season goes on, if the long ball happens once or twice a game, well that’s a whole other story. Oh, Daboll needs to more smoothly incorporate the running game into his game plans. Jmo of course...

Go Bills!!!

Didn't have time to read the whole thread so sorry if this is redundant but I only give him a C----too many gadget plays in short yardage & critical situations. Also too many plays with the ball being handled behind the line of scrimmage. I think his play calling has taken us out of scoring position more than the players mistakes.