Daboll - Grade Him

ngbills

24 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

B- to C+.

He does some things that just puzzle me. He seems to get away from what works, A LOT.

But he's better than Roman, or any of the other OC's we've had in a long time.

I'd say this is about what I think as well. Sometimes I just think to myself, or may yell out loud watching the game, "wtf kind of playcall is that?!?!?!" The whole first half of the Pats game I was thinking to myself wtf. 

I wish they would utilize the screen game a bit more with say McKenzie or Singletary (I know yesterday was his first game back in some weeks) or even Foster. Hell, I wish they would use Foster at all. I was hype to see what he would do this year after the way he finished last season out. Sometimes I don't feel like Daboll is playing to Josh's strengths in certain situations, but then again I think Josh just may not be executing according to the game plan. I don't know. It's pretty incomplete right now. 

Edited by H2o

Solid B+

Needs to coach up the offense to be more situationally aware throughout the game.  They have been weak once they get in between the 25-40 yard line.

And sometimes he gets a little too cute with his play calling.  I love that we are a pass first team as we should be but I wouldn't mind if they pounded the rock just a tad bit more.

23 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Solid B

He is the OC of a 5-1 football team and Allen is looking better than he did last year

Well said.  We now have a modern offense.  I’d go a bit higher, personally, because I think he deserves credit for smoothly assimilating a lot of new parts into a cohesive unit very quickly.  

Edited by SectionC3

2 minutes ago, H2o said:

I'd say this is about what I think as well. Sometimes I just think to myself, or may yell out loud watching the game, "wtf kind of playcall is that?!?!?!" The whole first half of the Pats game I was thinking to myself wtf. 

I wish they would utilize the screen game a bit more with say McKenzie or Singletary (I know yesterday was his first game back in some weeks) or even Foster. Hell, I wish they would use Foster at all. I was hype to see what he would do this year after the way he finished last season out. Sometimes I don't feel like Daboll is playing to Josh's strengths in certain situation, but then again I think Josh just may not be executing according to the game plan. I don't know. It's pretty incomplete right now. 

In fairness, hasn't foster been hurt?

B. Daboll has done a good job. 

We have an offense that looks like a modern NFL offense (though the execution isn't there yet) and now Buffalo Bills fans are legitimately moaning that we don't run enough. We don't run enough? Seriously? We go empty too much? Seriously? Do these folks watch the NFL?

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

B. Daboll has done a good job. 

We have an offense that looks like a modern NFL offense (though the execution isn't there yet) and now Buffalo Bills fans are legitimately moaning that we don't run enough. We don't run enough? Seriously? We go empty too much? Seriously? Do these folks watch the NFL?

Ironically, I’m one of those people complaining about not running the ball enough. I’m also someone who’s been complaining about our offense being outdated for the last decade. Right now Allen is a young quarterback who is learning on the job. Allen typically has a lot of hot and cold streaks during the course of a game. I just wish Daboll would recognize when Allen gets flustered, and slow the game down a for him by running

the ball.

Gore was breaking off ten yard runs against an historically poor opponent, there was no reason to run the offense like you have Rodgers or Brees back there. I’d prefer to let Allen learn before throwing so much responsibility on him. QB’s like Brady and Roethlisberger were not who they are today when they won their first titles. They played on teams that took advantage of having great defense while easing their young QB into a future role of carrying the team. 

B+ 

Although I question some of his individual calls, I do not have much problem with Daboll. It seems to me the issue is more penalties and inconsistency of execution, not the play calling or strategy. I actually like his imagination and unpredictability. He does not just trot out the same game plan no matter who the opponent is. 

I do worry about Allen being run too much, and occasional times where Daboll goes for the tricky play rather than the obvious one, but I worry more about penalties and dropped passes killing drives, and Allen's still not hitting on long passes. And even that stuff I expect to improve.

Edited by Dr. K
  • Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, H2o said:

Yes, but I thought people were saying he had fallen into the dog house before the injury?

I think that he had been beat out by John Brown & Cole Beasley as a starter during training camp, which was why he wasn't getting many 1st reps.

Don't know if he was in the dog house.

8 minutes ago, Dr. K said:

B+ 

Although I question some of his individual calls, I do not have much problem with Daboll. It seems to me the issue is more penalties and inconsistency of execution, not the play calling or strategy. I actually like his imagination and unpredictability. He does not just trot out the same game plan no matter who the opponent is. 

I do worry about Allen being run too much, and occasional times where Daboll goes for the tricky play rather than the obvious one, but I worry more about penalties and dropped passes killing drives, and Allen's still not hitting on long passes. And even that stuff I expect to improve.

Ding. Ding. Ding. The fact that we move the ball so well is telling. Just imagine if Allen hit a couple of those deep balls, or if we had even an average number of penalties, or if we didn't have so many drops (Knox).  This would be an entirely different conversation. 

Daboll has already taken Allen to a place very few thought he could go. He is doing a superb job.  

C+ as of right now, but that’s written in pencil, not ink.

He’s done some things I like, red zone efficiency is great, and Josh seems comfortable in the offense more often than not and has JA sitting on a nice completion %.  You can tell he is trying to limit the “risk taking” tendencies, realizing he has a top notch defense has their back if they don’t put up 30... or 20... Utilizes presnap motion, which I had just assumed was outlawed in western NY prior to Daboll’s arrival.

I would like to see more of a commitment to the run game, with more touches to Singletary and less for our QB.  I think they are getting great value and productivity out of Gore, and he is being properly utilized but Singletary needs more time to shine.  I understand the injury so this commentary is strictly for the 3 games he’s been in.  Yesterday specifically it seemed this Bills team could run at will, but as others have mentioned, he would get away from what’s working.  

That said, Knox’s wide open drop, Josh missing on those deep balls, some of his grade could be reflecting a lack of execution, but he’s the coach and it’s part of the job to get these guys mentally prepped, and ready to execute Monday through Saturday, so when Sunday’s roll around they’re firing on all cylinders and not sitting on a pile of missed opportunities.

Edited by Dr.Mantis_Toboggan

17 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Got a link?

No, I thought I had read it on here somewhere about him moping around at TC and whatnot which seemed to reflect on his playing time. Maybe it was in the Astro Notes segments? I can't remember. 

6 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

I think that he had been beat out by John Brown & Cole Beasley as a starter during training camp, which was why he wasn't getting many 1st reps.

Don't know if he was in the dog house.

You two, you and Joe, are probably correct.

I hope he can get healthy and get out there. Speed kills in this league, look at Hardman and Hill together. I think it would open up the entire field even more with two guys who can take the top off of the defense on the field at the same time. 

• Like (+1) 1