Daboll - Grade Him

ngbills

The Bills are 5-1. It is undeniable that they have a defense in the top of the league. The offense is another story. 

What are your opinions of Daboll? How much of the struggle is on the players vs the play calling / scheme? 

The first half of the Dolphins game was killing me. Showed some patterns from the entire season, but against a bad team I expected better. Some of 

Yesterday especially boneheaded:

Designed runs to Allen vs the worst team in the NFL. Once in a while, sure. But really, we trying to get him hurt. Not needed in this game, especially in the first quarter.

Gore - Drive #1 - First play 8 yard run; only one more run that drive. Drive #2 - Gore 10yd run first play; zero runs rest of drive. We never establish the run even thought Gore is breaking off long runs consistently. 

All Seaon:

Long Developing plays. Way too many routes that take forever for a guy to get where he needs to be. 

Getting into a flow. This offense has struggled getting into a flow. A lot of times one play sets them back. 

Cutesy Plays - Once in while ok. But too many of these we are going to fool you plays. Save them for the right spots not 3 times in one drive. 

Getting calls in - Allen seems frantic trying to get the ball snapped way too often. 

Identity - Are we pass happy team? A running team that can pass? Do we adjust to the defense playing? Can we adjust to schemes?

• Like (+1) 3

B+. Allen is making strides as a passer and QB, we have a decent offense statistically without a ton of talent, the OL players fit their scheme, fair enough bag of tricks plays that have worked for the most part. 

Once we get the deep ball figured out, this offense is poised to take another step.

Edited by FireChans
  • Like (+1) 5

Id go with  a B-   he does some really good things and at the same time I feel doesn't play to a team's weakness as much as he should.  He tends to over think it or get very cutesy when it's not needed.   Also at times it seems he handicaps the talent we have. 

Edited by Comebackkid

I've been incredibly impressed with him.   I love how he is branching new plays off a base play.   He gives three to four looks on the same play so as the season moves on it will be harder for defenses to key on where a play is going to go.  May not seem like a big deal, but I don't recall having OCs that have added that sort of nuance.

I think he is a good OC who will appear to be even better if Allen starts to play better.

• Like (+1) 7

C & that is generous.  Need to see them put away a team and not struggle for portions of the game.  First half they were great vs. the Giants & then let them get back in the game.  

Not enough slants, quick hit and passing yards.  5-1 & largest lead no more then 14 as the Bills then shutdown.

• Like (+1) 5

2 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

C & that is generous.  Need to see them put away a team and not struggle for portions of the game.  First half they were great vs. the Giants & then let them get back in the game.  

Not enough slants, quick hit and passing yards.  5-1 & largest lead no more then 14 as the Bills then shutdown.

I'd give him a C+.

In a word, he's replaceable.

• Like (+1) 2

I look at Daboll the same way I look at Josh. They're both learning and making mistakes but trying to compliment each other. I think Josh's improvement as  qb has slightly outdone Brian's inconsistent playcalling. The called run plays for JA have to be reduced. Josh is not Lamar, nor do I want him to be.  Brian has to identify Josh's low trajectory on his deep throws and fix that. They're both learning on the job and next year is when the Bills take the league by storm 

Dabs....B-

Josh....B

• Like (+1) 1

B-

He makes some very odd play calls that makes it look like the Bills are being too clever for their own good.

I do not like Josh Allen running designed running plays up the middle. The QB sweeps are fine.

Daboll's overall work with Allen has been very good. When the game is on the line, the offense has not been stopped. It would be great to see this for an entire game, but this group has taken big steps forward.

The running game has been very good too. It would be nice to have a more balanced attack going forward.

Overall, I like what I have seen, we are 5-1, and Daboll does make adjustments. Consistency for an entire game is all that is missing.

Edited post---- Our Red Zone efficiency has been outstanding. That is a huge plus.

Edited by Mark Vader
  • Like (+1) 1

Solid B.  Could be an A- if his calls in the first half weren't typically so head scratching.  He gets too cute rather than call plays that will win the game before sometime in the third quarter.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2