Rational Thoughts Day After Dolphins Game

corta765

3 hours ago, corta765 said:

6. Allen’s base level for play is sustainable which is that of a game manager that can sometimes make plays... he has to do better though. I’ve heard a lot of people defend Allen for drops penalties etc but isn’t it ok to want my QB to dominate for a whole game against a poor team or in general? I did like that there was no hero balls yesterday and he deserves credit for being a 4th quartet gamer. But I want him to progress where his good play is more then a quarter or a half.

FYI Allen's per game stats if you remove the Pats game

91.44 QB rating

1.75 TD's per game

0.67 INT's per game

234 yards per game

He has objectively played well except for a terrible performance against the ridiculous patriots defense.  He definitely needs improvement especially on deep balls but overall I find it hard not to like what he's done so far especially as we keep winning.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Seven-N-Nine said:

That's fine, but at some point he has to score more points.

How many more points, though? Like, what in your mind is enough points? Of the 23 teams ahead of us in Points Scored, 10 are at or under .500. The top 3 Points Against? 6-0, 6-0, 5-1. I'll take the stellar D with the average Josh. Many teams would kill to have just one. Unfortunately, the Pats have both (again). 

2 hours ago, fansince88 said:

Accomplish 5 and I think we see 6.

I disagree. Fins are the worse team because of this. 

Bad teams find ways to lose games I agree, however against awful bottom 6-7 teams you can't let those teams hang around and let a really winnable game slip. If the Bills got taken to the limit by a lower mid level team like the Steelers and the Bills won off turnovers late then that's the NFL, most games are close. But at home against a truly bad team whose talent might be the worst in the league coming off of a bye week the Bills should have established a 2 possession lead by half time and had a 3 possession lead going into the 4th. 

I am not unrealistic in thinking the Bills should have commanded this game from wire to wire. Granted they pulled it out in the end but my main point is to establish the idea that the Dolphins could have easily had a 2 possession lead half way through the third quarter. That's not putting my mind at ease. I am writing it off and giving the Fins credit for a good offensive game plan and the Fins defense for holding the fort early and not allowing a TD on those first few drives. But I do think that the defense might have shown some vulnerability against larger receivers. 

32 minutes ago, billsrul120 said:

FYI Allen's per game stats if you remove the Pats game

91.44 QB rating

1.75 TD's per game

0.67 INT's per game

234 yards per game

He has objectively played well except for a terrible performance against the ridiculous patriots defense.  He definitely needs improvement especially on deep balls but overall I find it hard not to like what he's done so far especially as we keep winning.

Josh’s play has been very up and down this season. The Jets game he was awful for most of it but played brilliantly in the second half. The Giants game he was good in, no real complaints. Josh almost cost the team the game against the Bengals with some bad turnovers but came out in the end. The Pats game was horrid. But he played well in the Titans game minus the one turnover which was a huge negative in a tight game. Against the Fins Josh turned in a really good performance. 

If I were grading Josh I would give him a C+ or a B- for the season. Now that’s not bad for a second year QB in most circumstances but considering that the offensive talent around him is slightly above average at best and slightly below average at worst you can consider the circumstances not fantastic for him. I consider Josh a work in progress. He is improving on his bad habits at a good rate. He is being more turnover averse the past 2 weeks and he is avoiding defaulting to his right (although he still scrambles to his right a bit too much.) 

Josh is going to have some good moments and some bad ones this season but look for what he is getting better on. 

3 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

Bad teams find ways to lose games I agree, however against awful bottom 6-7 teams you can't let those teams hang around and let a really winnable game slip. If the Bills got taken to the limit by a lower mid level team like the Steelers and the Bills won off turnovers late then that's the NFL, most games are close. But at home against a truly bad team whose talent might be the worst in the league coming off of a bye week the Bills should have established a 2 possession lead by half time and had a 3 possession lead going into the 4th. 

I am not unrealistic in thinking the Bills should have commanded this game from wire to wire. Granted they pulled it out in the end but my main point is to establish the idea that the Dolphins could have easily had a 2 possession lead half way through the third quarter. That's not putting my mind at ease. I am writing it off and giving the Fins credit for a good offensive game plan and the Fins defense for holding the fort early and not allowing a TD on those first few drives. But I do think that the defense might have shown some vulnerability against larger receivers. 

I dont think you are seeing or possibly even want to see my point. Dolphins were in multiple games this year until they screwed the pooch by turning the ball over. They did that and we won from behind. The other teams they did this won from ahead. Took the turnovers and built on their lead. We took them and built a lead. No, Im not happy we fell behind. Had we 1)executed and took it in for TDs on the 3 drives we kicked FG instead. 2) not penalize yourselves and you get TD instead of FG on the 3 drives. Then we may have had 21 instead of 9 and would hve been a blowout. Time for the Eagles. 

22 minutes ago, fansince88 said:

I dont think you are seeing or possibly even want to see my point. Dolphins were in multiple games this year until they screwed the pooch by turning the ball over. They did that and we won from behind. The other teams they did this won from ahead. Took the turnovers and built on their lead. We took them and built a lead. No, Im not happy we fell behind. Had we 1)executed and took it in for TDs on the 3 drives we kicked FG instead. 2) not penalize yourselves and you get TD instead of FG on the 3 drives. Then we may have had 21 instead of 9 and would hve been a blowout. Time for the Eagles. 

I see your point, but my point is the Fins aren't just a bad team they are a tragically bad team. They only had 3ish minutes of leading teams all season. So I don't think it is unfair to say that the Bills put the game significantly in doubt well into the game. The Bills weren't just trailing they were trailing by 5 half way through the 3rd with the Fins knocking on the door. I am not so sure this team comes back down 21-9. Once again if this was a mediocre team these things can happen but against the worst team in the league it shouldn't be that fragile. 

Overall I think that a win is a win in the NFL  and good team find ways to win close games. But my main concern is did the Fins provide a blue print to attack the defense? Fitz is a decent QB but not a great one and his receivers are suspect but big. If another team with better players follows that blueprint does it become more successful? I do trust McD to adjust as I think he is a good defensive coach but if Levi can get picked on this way then that might make the defense more vulnerable. 

5 hours ago, jimmy10 said:

<snip>. While some seem to want to look for moral defeats instead, I choose to celebrate that we are on the doorstep of our best record since the Superb Owl era. 

Will Josh become all we want him to be? Maybe, maybe not. But the book hasn’t nearly been written on him yet, I’d say we’re somewhere in the second chapter. 

I know it is  misplacement of letters but it did make me smile.?

Yes, it has been a while.

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

You're right but...

You want a QB that plays well all game, not just good enough in the 4th quarter to produce the win because the defense hasn't given up a bunch of points.

Personally, I think a QB should be both efficient and productive.  Josh's passer rating is around 80 right now.  That's not very efficient.  He's throwing for about 220 yards and 1 TD per game.  He hasn't been very productive either.  

The good news is that Josh is clearly playing better than last season which makes me think/hope he hasn't yet hit his ceiling.  

This is like Ben Roesthlisberger growth

5 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

My rational thoughts are; 1) We need to mix in more run plays in the 1st half of games, 2) We need a better Milano back up,  3) We need to get Foster healthy asap, those are the first steps,  4) We need a killer edge rusher, or whatever it’s called nowadays, not likely to be had in the near future, 5) We need another WR if Foster can’t get healthy, that’s all I got right now...

Go Bills!! 

I agree with 1, 2, and 4.  Per Sal Capaccio, Foster was a healthy scratch yesterday.  I'm beginning to wonder if Foster just isn't showing enough improvement in practice to get game snaps.  I believe Bills will draft and/or sign WR this coming off season.

19 minutes ago, DCbillsfan said:

I agree with 1, 2, and 4.  Per Sal Capaccio, Foster was a healthy scratch yesterday.  I'm beginning to wonder if Foster just isn't showing enough improvement in practice to get game snaps.  I believe Bills will draft and/or sign WR this coming off season.

You could very well be correct, but SM has been slow to use players, Singletary, Williams, and I think Foster all come to mind.

Go Bills!!!

4 hours ago, Blue Devil 69 said:

Could we just give Josh some time?  We are 5 and 1, and he is a 4th quarter gamer!  What is the last time any of us could feel so good about the Bills?

don’t disagree like I said get to 6 within the next two weeks it’d be huge.

Ive liked Allen’s growth this season and anyone who denies it just doesn’t like him. But it is mid season and I just want to see a game or two this year where it’s his game all day. Would make me feel even better with him. That said the last two weeks his decision making has been spot on which is very encouraging.

9 hours ago, corta765 said:

4. I have said this since Milano started back in 2017 and I’ll say it again he is the most important player in their defense. His coverage skills and instincts are second to none and when he is not out there the hole is noticeable. If there is one small move I want Beane to make it would be to find a depth LB with good coverage skills because that hole was their all day.

Didn't they see Corey Thompson as stepping up into that role in his 2nd season?  He seemed to play pretty well filling in for an injured Milano last year. 
https://buffalonews.com/2019/08/06/corey-thompson-linebacker-buffalo-bills-backup-lsu-athleticism-leslie-frazier/

In a spot of bad luck, he had ankle surgery at the end of September, but they didn't IR him.

9 hours ago, corta765 said:

9. I actually thought this was a good game for the offensive line maybe their best of the year. Perhaps it’s just me but I thought they did well in both pass and run protection and the only bad penalty was Dawkins.

They did very well - in the 2nd half.  First half, Not so much.  Dawkins was far from the only bad penalty. 

Not sure who is responsible, but they're missing protection calls on some blitzes and that's gotta be fixed.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, billsfan89 said:

I see your point, but my point is the Fins aren't just a bad team they are a tragically bad team. They only had 3ish minutes of leading teams all season. So I don't think it is unfair to say that the Bills put the game significantly in doubt well into the game. The Bills weren't just trailing they were trailing by 5 half way through the 3rd with the Fins knocking on the door. I am not so sure this team comes back down 21-9. Once again if this was a mediocre team these things can happen but against the worst team in the league it shouldn't be that fragile. 

Overall I think that a win is a win in the NFL  and good team find ways to win close games. But my main concern is did the Fins provide a blue print to attack the defense? Fitz is a decent QB but not a great one and his receivers are suspect but big. If another team with better players follows that blueprint does it become more successful? I do trust McD to adjust as I think he is a good defensive coach but if Levi can get picked on this way then that might make the defense more vulnerable. 

Fins built on last week. It happens. In fact I think they win a game or two. Just glad it wasnt against us.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, clayboy54 said:

Please stop saying they had 2 weeks to prepare. Coach sent them home for an entire week. They watched film on Monday, practiced on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday just like every other week. Their heads were out of football for the bye week and it showed in the first half.

But they had 2 weeks to prepare for the Dolphins, that's called a Fact. If coach sent them home to rest or do whatever that doesn't change the fact they still had 2 weeks to be prepared for this game. Of they chose to take the time off and not prepare, that's their fault and the results in the game showed it. Sending them home to rest can still be considered part of preparation for the game by giving them additional time to heal and rest. They didn't have a game to prepare for last week so once the Titans game was over, they were able to prepare for Miami, which was 2 weeks away.

• Like (+1) 1