Incomplete pass to Beas, 2nd O play of game - what happened?

Allen also threw it about 90 MPH, not a throw you can lollipop in there, but not everything needs to be a fastball.  The Beasley touchdown pass had some mustard on it too, almost went through his hands.   Allen had nice touch on the throw to Duke, but he seems to have the adrenaline flowing alot and is ripping fastballs when the situation may not call for it.

• Like (+1) 3

The QB and WR have to both understand what the key read is.  So, probably part of the problem is that they weren't making the same read.  Probably another part of the problem is the defense wasn't just standing around, watching.  They react to the play as they're coached to do, probably to confuse either the QB or WR.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, papazoid said:

them two are NOT on same page

beasley wasnt even looking and the pass missed him badly

guessing beasley blew a hot read

This is my thought as well.  The hot read was missed.

But as a few other posters have already said, Josh and Beasley know what should have happened and who didn't make the adjustment.

These are the kinds of things that the average poster doesn't consider.  It's easy to blame one guy and that one guy is normally the QB.  Maybe the blame belongs there, maybe it doesn't.

21 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

In the game where the Bills played the Pats, a play similar to this happened with Brady and Edelman.  Edelman didn't even turn his head and the ball was thrown...

These things just happen.

And how long have Brady and Edelman been playing, and how long have they been playing together?  They're the epitome of the perfectly fitting hand and glove.  That relationship takes a few years to build.

8 hours ago, Ramza86 said:

Shows that the two arent in as much sync.

Im no Allen apologist but a smarter WR would have noticed the blitz and looked to Allen sooner. 

There wasn't a blitz.  Phins sent 5,  Bills had 1:1 personnel with Kroft in to blocking.  It was hat-on-hat except Feliciano and Morse pulled to sell the run, which left Kroft with primary responsibility for a guy, which battle he lost.

But Josh had time.

9 hours ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Allen threw it too soon 

Maybe?  It's not clear to me.  Maybe he was expecting Bease to make his cut and turn his head earlier.  Route miscue.  Didn't help us, but also a moot point since we got 15 yds off the play thanks to whatever it was Ford did in the scrum there that induced Wilkins to punch him.

8 hours ago, papazoid said:

them two are NOT on same page

beasley wasnt even looking and the pass missed him badly

guessing beasley blew a hot read

Actually from slowing the film, it looks to me as if the pass hit Beasley on the shoulder.  Possibly Allen was throwing with a bit too much "zing", but that had to hurt.  It wasn't a bad miss, though.

13 hours ago, 5 Wide said:

Allen also threw it about 90 MPH, not a throw you can lollipop in there, but not everything needs to be a fastball.  The Beasley touchdown pass had some mustard on it too, almost went through his hands.   Allen had nice touch on the throw to Duke, but he seems to have the adrenaline flowing alot and is ripping fastballs when the situation may not call for it.

That was my other thought, that Allen had his juices going early in the game and put a bit too much heat on the ball.  But I'm not sure, and opinion here also seems divided.

13 hours ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

The amount of analysis over this one inconsequential play makes me proud to be a Bills fan. ?

That's sarcasm?

Should I apologize for not starting Yet Another Thread about how Allen has yet to throw for 300 yds and 3 TDs or the like?

• Haha (+1) 1

A run up the middle with jet action is "cute?"

This wasn't the only time they pulled linemen to sell a run fake, they did it a number of times in the game and it generally worked out fine, as it did on this play. Our OL handles it well, not sure what you're getting at there? It was a quick pass and Josh had more than enough time.

12 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

There wasn't a blitz.  Phins sent 5,  Bills had 1:1 personnel with Kroft in to blocking.  It was hat-on-hat except Feliciano and Morse pulled to sell the run, which left Kroft with primary responsibility for a guy, which battle he lost.

But Josh had time.

Maybe?  It's not clear to me.  Maybe he was expecting Bease to make his cut and turn his head earlier.  Route miscue.  Didn't help us, but also a moot point since we got 15 yds off the play thanks to whatever it was Ford did in the scrum there that induced Wilkins to punch him.

Actually from slowing the film, it looks to me as if the pass hit Beasley on the shoulder.  Possibly Allen was throwing with a bit too much "zing", but that had to hurt.  It wasn't a bad miss, though.

Hey Hapless - thought I would add the All 22 to the conversation.

It looks as if Allen is going to Beasley from the snap. When he throws, that ball is on Beasley just as he starts to turn his head (:23). It really is hard to tell if Allen expected Beasley to sit  on that route or look to Allen sooner - or if it was a bad throw. I tend to go with the former, rather than the latter, only because not only was the pass behind Beasley, but, Beasley wasn't even looking for it yet. So, more of a miscommunication between the two. Like you said, maybe it is one of those plays where you have to be on the team to know exactly wha happened and who was at fault.

I like this kind of discussion, though...

Edited by billsfan1959
  • Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

this was a great pass.

And therein lies the core of much of the debate on Allen. He can, what appears to many, make a bad throw to Beasley (shown in posts above) - that should be a fairly easy completion - and then make throws like this one. I love the kid and think he is going to just get better and better - becoming that franchise QB this team has been looking for since Kelly. However, I also understand some of the skepticism as well.

I also think this pass is where Josh Allen's strength  is at - that 18-25 yard range. I would love to see more designed plays to feature / maximize that strength

Edited by billsfan1959
  • Like (+1) 1