Incomplete pass to Beas, 2nd O play of game - what happened?

Play action, short pass play to Beas.  What happened?  Want someone better than I am to look at the film.  This is the play where Wilkins got disqualified for punching Ford.

Short answer is "bad pass" but I don't think that's the real story.

Looks to me as though the Bills are selling PA to the extent of having Morse and ?Feliciano pull.  That leaves 3 guys including the RT, RG and Kroft responsible for 3 rushers.  It can be seen that Kroft and ?Ford (buried in there) do NOT have good position on their guys.  Feliciano has been pushed back into Morse's path.

image.thumb.png.bcfc3942acd90c2c005d3367b63ccb45.png

It's a timing play, as Josh is making a throw with anticipation, as he pulls his arm back, Bease is still running straight ahead

image.thumb.png.8501dbc0c6753da1f57af9d0ada7e821.png

As Josh follows through, you can see Kroft has lost contain. Josh still has a clean pocket with lots of space but that's not going to last.  But Bease is only just turning.

image.thumb.png.ecac79f2a493a47092021f919d455703.png

The play by play says pass thrown behind Beasley, but it looked from his "flinch" like it actually hit him in the shoulder.

Can someone with a better feel for how routes and QB drops "should" look tell me what likely happened here?  Clearly Beasley and Josh were out of sync, but can we tell who that is likely on?  Did Bease extend his route more than Josh was expecting, or did Josh throw early?  Or is it one of those "miscommunication" things where you gotta be on the team to tell?

This play gave me flashbacks to last year where I felt part of the OL problem was that Daboll was trying to be "too cute" with his play design.    Maybe our OL does not have the experience playing together that we need to be having the center and RG "pull" to sell the PA?  Everybody picked up their assignment correctly but 2 guys have clearly lost the leverage battle. 

It's probably a good guess that in the scrum, hidden from the refs, Ford did something Wilkins took strong exception to and that may have been a penalty if the refs saw it.

The previous play was also an example of Daboll trying "cuteness" as it was a successful run up the gut by Gore with McKensie doing a fake jet sweep.  At least that one worked.  I suppose this is a form of MMQ where if it's successful it's clever but if it fails it's too cute.

We wound up gaining 15 yds by penalty, but I would rather have seen another run play to gain those 2 yds.  Run it until they show they can shut it down and establish your dominance on the OL before you try to get cute with it.

2 minutes ago, Ramza86 said:

Shows that the two arent in as much sync.

Im no Allen apologist but a smarter WR would have noticed the blitz and looked to Allen sooner. 

Not sure about "smarter" but he might have been late looking for the ball. 

1 minute ago, Doc said:

Not sure about "smarter" but he might have been late looking for the ball. 

I wondered. Didn't Josh then point to his eyes while looking at Beasley? I feel like I remember that. If so, maybe he was telling Beasley to look sooner, or maybe he was saying it was his own fault somehow? Not sure.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Allen threw it too soon 

This. They were just out of sync, and I put that on Allen.

I am begining to think that Allen needs Prozac or s stiff drink at the start of games.

He is just too amped, but settles down into a rhythm later.

5 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

Disagree.   Beasley made wrong read.   They are playing zone...he is wide open.  The read should be to hook there and he decided to curl toward the zone.  

This was my thought. I thought Allen had expected him to stop in that space instead of breaking in. You can see the space between the two defenders. 

• Like (+1) 2

Allen was reading the slot CB and Beasley was reading the LB, which led to their mix-up. 

Since the option depended on who the CB covered, Beasley should've noticed the CB break outside for Duke and immediately looked for the ball (I think that's why Allen gestured towards his eyes after).

Beasley sees the LB break to his right and wants to take advantage of the open middle, but that's not how the throwing lanes are set up.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, H2o said:

This was my thought. I thought Allen had expected him to stop in that space instead of breaking in. You can see the space between the two defenders. 

Exactly.  Those 2 work on reading the same thing.  Allen read it correctly and threw it with timing. 

Its one play. Everyone needs to relax. Being this invested in every single play is why many people will never be satisfied with Allen. I can pull up a bad throw/miscommunication from every single quarterback this week. It happens to everyone. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

Disagree.   Beasley made wrong read.   They are playing zone...he is wide open.  The read should be to hook there and he decided to curl toward the zone.  

Totally agree here.  

Looked like the PA was designed to keep the LB toward the middle of the field. 

Josh is looking at the CB - if he stays outside - you have a quick hook up there for 5 yards and a first down.

Josh put it right where he expects Cole to hook up and Cole pushes the route farther to the middle - so the pass is a bit behind.

In reality only the WR/QB/OC will know for sure, but that is my read based on how quickly Josh was getting that pass out.