First Time I have been concerned with Josh Allen

7 minutes ago, macaroni said:

and what exactly did he do or say to offend you???

instead of being a jerk, tell me specifics.

As a long time lurker myself I can state with catigorical certainty that your son committed a cardinal sin. What name did he use here? I’ll speak with the management and see if there’s anything that can be done.

21 minutes ago, macaroni said:

OK guys, hate to hijack the thread, BUT

You've just banned a brand new member because he didn't agree with your rose colored glasses. I can't see what in the world he posted to offend your delicate sensibilities because in your Jr. Highschool girly snit you have deleted all mention of his post, but I can assure you that it was a fair and just opinion, looking for discussion and not meant to troll. It just so happens to be that I am the SECOND generation Bills fan to the THIRD generation Bills fan and have been trying to talk him into creating an account because his football opinions are usually quite astute. so here's the scoop (rant).

1) He has in fact been a long term lurker on this forum but he has resisted making an account because he is acutely aware of internet jerks who wield their powers to make themselves feel important. He seeks discussion not turmoil.

2) This is directed to Hapless Bills fan … you DO in fact have a S carved on your forehead (and if you don't you should pull out your pen knife and start carving), he showed me the e-mail you sent him and that was as an unfounded classless act of BS as I've seen in a long time

WOW...   Are you hoping to join his or her?    Call outs are a no no.  

who got banned BTW? 

2 hours ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

I think people want Josh to be a 70% completion type QB and threaten 300 yards consistently.  He’s just not that type of QB.  Never was never will be most likely.  

Oh I see so last year it was  Allen will never be a 60% completion type QB , and now it’s 70% ? 

Thanks for the input Schopp !

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, krf139 said:

Thanks for bringing this up.  It appears whenever someone is critical of Allen on this board, his fervent supporters come out in droves in support of him.  I watch every snap of every game.  Talk about his completion percentage this year all you want - he's not completing balls downfield, doesn't seem to be learning quickly from his mistakes, throws too many INT and frankly, just doesn't look in control of the game like other QBs do.  I am not at all convinced he is "the guy."

hang out in the shout box during a game and see what the OP actually says about Josh and the team.  

https://www.twobillsdrive.com/community/chatbox/

19 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Why was the crowd booing if Josh was playing so wonderfully? Why were his receivers visibly frustrated with him?

Come on guys. You can like the Bills. Be excited they are 5-1. Be a fan of Josh Allen. And still think he needs to play better. That is ok. It is called higher expectations. There is some room for he is still young. But there also some mind boggling misses. We all want him to get there. He is just not there yet.

Miami was blitzing and the O line wasn't providing him time to make a play AND the defense was not sharp.

I think they're still bringing him along kinda slowly. They aren't asking him to do too much. That's kinda the mantra of this team, isn't it? No real superstars but the way they come together as a team is what keeps them in games. Is there gonna be a time where he's gonna have to step up and save the day? Sure. I'd say he kinda saved it yesterday going 10 of 11 for 112 yards and two TDs in the second half and led a 98-yard drive to score the TD which gave them the lead that they never gave back. 

Certainly we'd all like to see him connect on those deep passes. That's gotta happen and I believe it will. Beyond that, though, week in and week out there is so much focus on Allen. And I get it, the QB position is the most scrutinized position in sports. But the offense as a whole really wasn't firing on all cylinders yesterday, either. Pre-snap penalties, holding penalties that wiped out decent plays, drops, OL struggling with some pressure, etc. They were rusty coming out of the gate. But that stuff doesn't always get mentioned. It's just, "Josh bad! Josh frow ball and ball not go to receiver! Josh bad!" Some of these "experts" devote paragraph after paragraph to breaking down his accuracy and all that, without mentioning that just about every game this season, 60-70% of his incompletions are throw-aways or drops. It's like he's held to a standard he can never reach because whenever he gets close, people wanna move the goalposts. 

I think he and Daboll are fine. Consistency is good, second year in the system, more familiarity with it, etc. Sometimes I think Daboll tries to get a little too crafty. I mean, yesterday they seemed like they were able to run the ball really well, yet he got away from that for whatever reason. But I do try to keep in mind the philosophy behind this offensive system is that they aim to adjust from week to week in order to exploit weaknesses in their opponents defense. So some weeks they may ask Allen to throw it 40 times, others it might be the Gore/Singletary show, it's just how they wanna run things. 

Does Allen have some areas where he needs to improve? Sure. Does the offense as a whole have areas they need to improve? Definitely. But a W is a W. Victories can only help this team build confidence and more belief in themselves and with that hopefully the execution will start getting smoother and they'll really start clicking. 

Edited by blacklabel
  • Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, LDD said:

The only real hole in his game yesterday was the lack of his ability to hit the long ball.  Based on his ability, I fully believe that Josh will develop this accuracy.  He needs about 1000 more practice throws to figure out the correct launch angle on those throws.  He's stuck throwing the ball too flat, looks like he needs more air under it.  Although, part of me wants him just to throw it on a rope 50 yards, which I think he could easily do.  But, it would be a tough ball to catch.  

Allen does need to improve on some of those downfield throws, such as hitting his guy in stride running down the sideline,  but he his real strength is the 20-30 yard strikes.  He can throw a 30 yard rope.  Thats what the Bills need to add more to their offense.  Its a big field out there and they should be able to get some guys open in that range more often. 

And inside the redzone, remember last year he hit some nice passes on the quick receiver stop routes.  It seems there's a lot of playbook their just not calling right now. 

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

who got banned BTW? 

Why didn't you tell me there was a party going on in this thread?!?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

I thought he came through big time yesterday when it counted too, but one of the reasons he's not sniffing 300 yards is that he's been incapable of throwing an accurate deep ball all season. That has to change. It's one of the most basic skills requirements of even a replacement-level NFL QB. 

Agree. He has been awful this year. But we know he can do it because he has. 

As far as the OP goes, I think it's very impressive to watch the game yesterday, drink ALL night into the next day and then find your way to the phone or keyboard. Well done fine sir. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Pokebball said:

We've got a pretty standard bell curve on this subject.  10% that can rightfully so be called Josh haters, no matter how well he does.  10% that can rightfully so be called Josh lovers, no matter how poorly he does.  And 80% that are mostly fair, while certainly leaning one way or the other but can at least accept opinions that are adequately supported.

Now neither of the posters in the 10% legs of this bell curve believe they are crazy, extreme, whacked out in their opinions.  They believe they are "main stream".  When they get called out they make claims that the opposite 10% come out in droves.  And when the 80% that are truly mainstream tell any of the 10%ers that they are over the top in the love or hate, the 10% try their darndest to group them into the opposite 10%, normally to little avail.

You just described human civilization.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

who got banned BTW? 

Third generation Bills fan … and I understand perfectly that call outs are a no-no so if I need to be banned so be it. As a matter of fact along those lines he mentioned you also as far as douche comments to his post too

just sayin' 

• Haha (+1) 3

18 minutes ago, essential said:

I don't get why everyone is crapping on this topic.  Everyone keeps throwing out 5-1, but we very easily could have lost to the Jets, Titans, Bengals, and we were Tre's INT away from yesterdays game getting away from us.  Josh has his moments at times, and his 4th quarter is great, but he needs that 4th quarter because we're down going into the 4th with an incredible defense playing a cake schedule.  We're an average team with a good record.  Josh has me concerned as well.  I'm not losing sleep but i'm not overly confident in him either.  I think he's incredibly likable and I want him to succeed but I think it's too soon to crown him the future.  He still needs to improve a lot, and hopefully we see him put together a full game sooner than later. 

because 5-1 is worthy of praise.  

If you can't see it .....  3/4 of the AFC was supposed to be better than Buffalo.     The Jets, Browns, Chargers, Titans, Jax, were all playoff bound 

4 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Why didn't you tell me there was a party going on in this thread?!?

Sorry Virgil.   I'll try harder next time 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PaattMaann said:

hmmm....I will have to disagree. At least about having a problem with Josh all the sudden after yesterday. 

He missed two deep balls, but had a slew of other great throws (the touch pass to duke, the TD to Brown, the brown throw across the field, the throw to knox that was dropped as examples). 

Josh did not appear to be the problem with the offense. Dropped passes, missed assignments and untimely penalties have continued to stall our offensive drives inside enemy territory and THAT is very concerning. We need to figure out a way to continue to execute, which to be fair we did on the drive that started in 3rd quarter and ended in the 4th. 

I have very little problems with the way Josh played today, aside from missing those deep throws. WHY CANT HE HIT THOSE????? Is it a total shook confidence thing now? 

I really liked the looping throw to MacKenzie that went down to the 3 when he circled out of the backfield and Allen threw a perfect ball that allowed him to fully accelerate and hit him in stride...

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

As a long time lurker myself I can state with catigorical certainty that your son committed a cardinal sin. What name did he use here? I’ll speak with the management and see if there’s anything that can be done.

well if he DID than he certainly should be banned … but no one has sent me proof or clued me in as to what he said, so I'm sticking to my premise that he was banned because a certain mod didn't agree with his take and it was easer to boot him than discuss his viewpoint.

His handle (for the 30 minutes he was a member was Third generation bills fan) so if anybody can give me insight as to what went on I'd appreciate it … all I have now is his side of the story and it sound pretty benign. 

7 minutes ago, macaroni said:

Third generation Bills fan … and I understand perfectly that call outs are a no-no so if I need to be banned so be it. As a matter of fact along those lines he mentioned you also as far as douche comments to his post too

just sayin' 

As I've been told by a mod  Less is more.  so that I don't get a ban ...  Have a good day.  

Is he the 20 year old lurker who was on the D&C forums?

Dude  I owned the D&C Forums.

Edited by SlimShady'sGhost

2 hours ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

After seeing Josh Allen's first performance in pre-season last year, I started a thread title "For the love of God, just name Josh Allen the starter" (Mods later changed thread title).

To me Allen is the most likable guy in the NFL, and the most fun to watch.  I so much want him to succeed.  

Yesterday's game troubled me quite a bit.  With two weeks to prepare for the worst team in the NFL, Singletary back,  a upgraded receiving corp including  glue hands Duke Williams and Tyler Kroft active, I expected the offense to be hitting on nearly all cylinders.   

it appears to me now that Allen and Daboll are simply not a good combination.  Daboll seems to be committed to developing Allen to play in the Daboll system rather than developing a system to optimize Allen's considerable physical skills.  At this point I am not sure they will be successful together.  There is a legitimate school of thought to say that there is a proper way to play NFL QB and Allen needs to learn that.    At the same time I think it is legitimate to say that some teams have been successful (Russell Williams) adapting an offense to take advantage of a particular QBs skill set.   I am not sure which is right.  I will say that I think Daboll's offense would work identically well with Jared Goff as our QB, and I think that leaves a lot of Josh Allen's skill set unused. I don't want to turn Allen into Goff.  

you expect too much. the offense is improving. it is going to take time. time for new players to fit in. time for the oline to improve. time for Allen to eliminate mistakes and improve.

right now, the number one things they need to learn is winning. so far, so good.

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

The one concern I have is Josh’s failure to recognize obvious cover zero and hot route. There’s a question if he is being coached through his mistakes well enough or if he is not responding to the coaching. He saw that same formation 3-4 times vs the Pats, and just watching him, you just knew he was getting sacked.

well it is more complex than just a "Josh Allen failure".

Is there a hot receiver going to a predetermined spot (hot read)?

Is there an audible to get out of the empty backfield, put the RB on the side of the blitz so that the RB can at least chip the blitzer and buy Josh a second to connect to the hot receiver?

Are  there line audibles to shift the blocker to pick up the blitzes?

I am not convinced that everyone else is doing the right things either.  

I am not convince that Daboll has this aspect of the game covered adequately.  New England exposed Daboll just as much as they did Josh.  Now the TEAM needs to address it.

Edited by Bob in STL
  • Like (+1) 1