First Time I have been concerned with Josh Allen

I actually like what they're doing with Allen. I think that how they're developing him will pay dividends down the line. It looks to me like they are trying to rein in his hero ball and turn him into a passer. There will be growing pains but he's young and they're still winning.

He and Lamar are both physically gifted but I think Lamar is getting the exact opposite treatment. The Ravens seem to have taken the approach of letting him just play his game. They want to win now and don't seem to be worrying about the future which is not surprising seeing as how there'd been talk of Harbaugh needing to win or he would be out. If Lamar ever loses his ability to make plays with his legs, he'd be unprepared to play QB at a high level. I think the way their developing Allen is to make sure he can succeed if his legs become a non factor.

11 minutes ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

After seeing Josh Allen's first performance in pre-season last year, I started a thread title "For the love of God, just name Josh Allen the starter" (Mods later changed thread title).

To me Allen is the most likable guy in the NFL, and the most fun to watch.  I so much want him to succeed.  

Yesterday's game troubled me quite a bit.  With two weeks to prepare for the worst team in the NFL, Singletary back,  a upgraded receiving corp including  glue hands Duke Williams and Tyler Kroft active, I expected the offense to be hitting on nearly all cylinders.   

it appears to me now that Allen and Daboll are simply not a good combination.  Daboll seems to be committed to developing Allen to play in the Daboll system rather than developing a system to optimize Allen's considerable physical skills.  At this point I am not sure they will be successful together.  There is a legitimate school of thought to say that there is a proper way to play NFL QB and Allen needs to learn that.    At the same time I think it is legitimate to say that some teams have been successful (Russell Williams) adapting an offense to take advantage of a particular QBs skill set.   I am not sure which is right.  I will say that I think Daboll's offense would work identically well with Jared Goff as our QB, and I think that leaves a lot of Josh Allen's skill set unused. I don't want to turn Allen into Goff.  

I don't know where to start with this.

Of all the games Allen has played, to say this is the first time you're concerned about him or the combination of Daboll and Allen is a total head-scratcher for me.

Not the Jets game where Allen had 2 picks and 2 fumbles in the first half, 1 of each unambiguously a boneheaded play on his part.

Not the Pats game where Allen threw 3 INTs, all of them bone-headed decisions, and decided as Smith put it to "run head first into human beings" and get knocked out; he only completed 46% of his passes for 153 yds and on film, he left quite a few plays on the field.

SMH

I really ought to merge this as the topic of whether or not Josh Allen will be a successful QB is being flogged thoroughly in several threads, but *cough* I don't want to derail them from such discussion as is taking place, so I'll just leave this out there.

• Like (+1) 4

I've re-watched the game and I think Allen was just fine. He didn't put up 300, but he did what he was asked to do.  He threw behind Beasely early in the game and missed on the two deep balls - outside of that he did well. He didn't have enough pass attempts to put up the huge stats that everyone wants to see without hitting a deep ball.  Knox drop alone cost him 4% in his completion percentage and probably 15-20 yards.  Beasely didn't come up with a very catchable ball on an out as well - which won't go down as a drop on the stat sheet but most NFL WRs would have come up with it.  Would have, could have, should have... I get it - but if both players made those routine plays, his stat line reads 18/26 (69%) for 240, 2 TDs 0 INTs and 32 yards rushing on 4 carries.  I'll take that.

I'll call it here - next week he'll have his 300 yards passing.

19 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

His play in the Pats* game had me concerned. This week was a little slow out of the gate, but also had some drops/bobbles.

This.  Hokie, have you looked at the film yet?  Look at Daboll's play calling and the blocking design in the first few series and tell me what you think. 

For me there's some flashback moments to last year where I wished I could (figuratively, 'cuz he could smash me like a buuuug) grab Daboll by the ears and yell "KISS!  KISS damn your eyeballs KISS! (and I'm not talking smoochies)

I gotta tell ya.  The 4th quarter performances all season, as well as that beautiful 98-yard drive yesterday, have me concerned, too.

I tossed and turned last night, horrified that the Bills are a measly 5-1.   How dare they only be 2-1 in the division after three games with their only loss being to the defending Super Bowl champions?

The two TD passes and zero turnovers yesterday are what really have my gut in knots.  If he keeps that crap up, we might actually EARN a spot in the playoffs.

We don't want that, do we?

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 4

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This.  Hokie, have you looked at the film yet?  Look at Daboll's play calling and the blocking design in the first few series and tell me what you think. 

For me there's some flashback moments to last year where I wish I could (figuratively, 'cuz he could smash me like a buuuug) grab Daboll by the ears and yell "KISS!  KISS damn your eyes KISS! (and I'm not talking smoochies)

Daboll is a real headscratcher to me.

He's GOT to realize up-tempo has worked well for this team, yet he rarely uses it. He makes Singletary disappear single-handedly. I don't understand his thought process most of the time.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

After seeing Josh Allen's first performance in pre-season last year, I started a thread title "For the love of God, just name Josh Allen the starter" (Mods later changed thread title).

To me Allen is the most likable guy in the NFL, and the most fun to watch.  I so much want him to succeed.  

Yesterday's game troubled me quite a bit.  With two weeks to prepare for the worst team in the NFL, Singletary back,  a upgraded receiving corp including  glue hands Duke Williams and Tyler Kroft active, I expected the offense to be hitting on nearly all cylinders.   

it appears to me now that Allen and Daboll are simply not a good combination.  Daboll seems to be committed to developing Allen to play in the Daboll system rather than developing a system to optimize Allen's considerable physical skills.  At this point I am not sure they will be successful together.  There is a legitimate school of thought to say that there is a proper way to play NFL QB and Allen needs to learn that.    At the same time I think it is legitimate to say that some teams have been successful (Russell Williams) adapting an offense to take advantage of a particular QBs skill set.   I am not sure which is right.  I will say that I think Daboll's offense would work identically well with Jared Goff as our QB, and I think that leaves a lot of Josh Allen's skill set unused. I don't want to turn Allen into Goff.  

Do you not watch the NFL outside of Bills games?

I mean no offence, but around the league there is an epidemic of substandard QBing. Combined with how week to week this league has become (anointing someone a future HOFer one week, calling them trash the next) the coveted Franchise Quarterback is few and far between. 

Long gone are the days where a qb was given YEARS to settle in before a decision can be made about their future but it doesn't change the fact that these guys still need to learn. Im concerned the growing contingent of fans who compare their young QB to the Mahomes type may never be able to enjoy a nfl game again because if thats the expectation- they will no doubt be let down. 

Your 'favorite' team is 5-1. They are winning WHILE their young QB is developing. At somepoint in the future a decision will need to be made, but there are so many factors at play here these cats calling for a new QB because they have already made up their minds about this one has me embarrassed for them. Im sorry you feel dissapointed Miami wasnt thrashed yesterday.... but this crap about doubting your qb  at this juncture in his tenure as the Bills qb is insane. Meanwhile, if next week he lights it up the flip flop will begin and the bandwagon fills back up. I guess i give you credit for having the balls to put this out there given how silly it truly is, but at the same time im worried you dont understand what a over reaction it is and it may just be pure ignorance. The sky is not falling yet.  Keep this to the nonsense with the game threads. Your team is 5-1. Id hate to see you when faced with a REAL problem. 

Edited by gobills1212

3 minutes ago, LBSeeBallLBGetBall said:

I actually like what they're doing with Allen. I think that how they're developing him will pay dividends down the line. It looks to me like they are trying to rein in his hero ball and turn him into a passer. There will be growing pains but he's young and they're still winning.

He and Lamar are both physically gifted but I think Lamar is getting the exact opposite treatment. The Ravens seem to have taken the approach of letting him just play his game. They want to win now and don't seem to be worrying about the future which is not surprising seeing as how there'd been talk of Harbaugh needing to win or he would be out. If Lamar ever loses his ability to make plays with his legs, he'd be unprepared to play QB at a high level. I think the way their developing Allen is to make sure he can succeed if his legs become a non factor.

Everyone, ESPN included, seems to be forgetting the Greg Roman effect with running QBs. That’s making a huge difference in Jackson’s performance running the ball. The kid is gifted, but eventually Romans schemes get figured out. I believe it’s 2-3 years. Lynn found a working game plan in his second game against the Ravens last season. BB will have a gameplan for it as well. I’m curious about how Jackson will perform with a different OC there. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

For me there's some flashback moments to last year where I wish I could (figuratively, 'cuz he could smash me like a buuuug) grab Daboll by the ears and yell "KISS!  KISS damn your eyes KISS! (and I'm not talking smoochies)

In the first half I was having flashbacks to 'bad' Roman. I get that motions and gadgets can be handy, but they should never be the meat & potatoes of your plan. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, gobills1212 said:

Do you not watch the NFL outside of Bills games?

I mean no offence, but around the league there is an epidemic of substandard QBing. Combined with how week to week this league has become (anointing someone a future HOFer one week, calling them trash the next) the coveted Franchise Quarterback is few and far between. 

Long gone are the days where a qb was given YEARS to settle in before a decision can be made about their future but it doesn't change the fact that these guys still need to learn. Im concerned the growing contingent of fans who compare their young QB to the Mahomes type may never be able to enjoy a nfl game again because if thats the expectation- they will no doubt be let down. 

Your 'favorite' team is 5-1. They are winning WHILE their young QB is developing. At somepoint in the future a decision will need to be made, but there are so many factors at play here these cats calling for a new QB because they have already made up their minds about this one has me embarrassed for them. Im sorry you feel dissapointed Miami wasnt thrashed yesterday.... but this crap about doubting your qb is insane. Meanwhile, if next week he lights it up the flip flop will begin and the bandwagon fills back up. I guess i give you credit for having the balls to put this out there given how silly it truly is, but at the same time im worried you dont understand what a over reaction it is and it may just be pure ignorance. The sky is not falling yet.  Keep this to the nonsense with the game threads. Your team is 5-1. Id hate to see you when faced with a REAL problem. 

Yeah, but Rodgers has a perfect game yesterday and that’s josh’s new standard. ?‍♂️

19 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

This fan base is horrible and why no good coaches or players liked coming here for 20 years

Could you offer some examples of this?

Edited by Binghamton Beast
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DasNootz said:

I've re-watched the game and I think Allen was just fine. He didn't put up 300, but he did what he was asked to do.  He threw behind Beasely early in the game and missed on the two deep balls - outside of that he did well. He didn't have enough pass attempts to put up the huge stats that everyone wants to see without hitting a deep ball.  Knox drop alone cost him 4% in his completion percentage and probably 15-20 yards.  Beasely didn't come up with a very catchable ball on an out as well - which won't go down as a drop on the stat sheet but most NFL WRs would have come up with it.  Would have, could have, should have... I get it - but if both players made those routine plays, his stat line reads 18/26 (69%) for 240, 2 TDs 0 INTs and 32 yards rushing on 4 carries.  I'll take that.

I'll call it here - next week he'll have his 300 yards passing.

Eh, I'm somewhat in the middle here.  On the first few series, he was NOT taking what the D was giving him at times.  He was making yards, but he was running himself at times when there was an option.  Singletary was apparently wearing a Cloak of Invisibility.

I have a separate thread about that throw to Beasley.  It's more nuanced I think than "threw behind him".

I wouldn't say Allen was just fine, but he also didn't pull any boneheaded moves.  He didn't try to truck people when he ran, he was moderately smart.  He took care of the football and didn't throw it or fumble it away.  He "leveled up" when he needed to in the second half and won us the game.  And yes, you're right, the lack of initial focus was across the whole team.

People seem to forget that even great teams and great QB win stinkers and have bad halves.  Not saying this group is either, but the point was - we regrouped and won, and that's what good and great teams do while bad teams fade.

• Like (+1) 1

I asked this (but with so many damn threads to read about the game) 

Did Miami back off the heave blitz packages?  

I think once that slowed the Blitz or Dabol and  co adjusted the game got much better and fewer drive killing penalties

Edited by SlimShady'sGhost