First Time I have been concerned with Josh Allen

I love the way Allen is playing and the way Dabol is developing him. He’s emphasizing the short game which needs more development and which was pretty much non-existent before this year.  His long game is there, it’s just not being worked on.  When the short game becomes second nature, look out.   It’s going to be awesome. 

2 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

Pssst ....  

I have 2 permanent points , 1 each 6 months apart.   the last given 1 year ago 

When warned you need to learn from it.  ...  

I've been a good little boy. I've only had one little slap on the wrist from Hapless. I'm not sure how though!

• Haha (+1) 1

I just watched the first half again. Josh was not awful at all. He's wasn't very good but it was hardly on him. He picked up both a 2-20 and 1-20 for first downs. He ran for a couple first downs on third (one was called back). He missed two longer throws, one to Brown who was covered (one yard ahead and would have needed a perfect pass right on the sideline with two defenders near) and one to Dawson who was totally blanketed and was not going to make the catch. He threw 3 darts for 10-20 yard plays. Two to Brown and one to Knox.  The fourth dart was dropped by Knox that would have been first and goal.

The one time we punted on 3rd and 11 Daboll called an ill-advised screen that was smothered immediately and had nothing to do with Josh. The one play everyone complained about he had to throw away he got away from three guys that should have tackled him and barely had time to try to get away from the fourth. Even if he threw it away it would have been 3-10 instead of 3-14. He didn't throw one terrible ball and not one was even close to being a turnover excluded a blocked pass early that went into the air and a Bill knocked it down. Again, you couldn't say he was good but he wasn't even bad if you watch each play he had and what he did with it.

• Like (+1) 10
  • Thank you (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, TwistofFate said:

When Tyrod put up those numbers he was not considered a franchise guy. 

I for one, am a bit disappointed with 0, 300+ yard games, and multiple td game. 

After a full season of starts under his belt, I feel your first round, franchise pick should have had a wow moment.   He has yet to have it and this week was a prime opportunity. 

Sounds like you missed the Miami game where he scored 5 tds.    

There’s your wow moment 

• Haha (+1) 2

43 minutes ago, TwistofFate said:

When Tyrod put up those numbers he was not considered a franchise guy. 

I for one, am a bit disappointed with 0, 300+ yard games, and multiple td game. 

After a full season of starts under his belt, I feel your first round, franchise pick should have had a wow moment.   He has yet to have it and this week was a prime opportunity. 

I'd qualify last year's last miami game as a wow moment.

As would I qualify his what, 5 game winning 4th quarter drives? That's something Tyrod NEVER did.

46 minutes ago, macaroni said:

HIS side of the story is ….

He posted in this thread, someone took umbridge with his viewpoint and an "off topic" conversation started. He says (again HIS side) was that in the 30 minutes he was a member he made 5 posts spanning 2 different topics, and one of those posts was apologizing for getting off topic in this one. In the defense of the mod who shall not be named, he said he DID get a bit snarky, but never used profanity or such. The attachment below is the e-mail he received to inform him he was permanently banned. 

download.png

So, you are here posting off topic in a thread. Doing something very similar to what your son got banned for and complaining about the mods?

Good luck!

4 hours ago, Binghamton Beast said:

Could you offer some examples of this?

Obviously the horrible part is hyperbole.. but there is a huge segment of the "fan base" that only comes out of the woodworks when they lose and they make us all look bad

There are plenty of players and coaches who have not wanted to play or coach here over the years because they got a reputation as a team team without accountability , then you throw in the passionate fans who turn on players and coaches overnight and yea Buffalo has not been a fairytale destination for a long time

Winning cures everything

4 hours ago, Ray Finkel said:

No matter what offense Josh plays in he will have accuracy issues.  He had them in college and still has them.  I thought pro coaches could help him but it hasn’t happened.  I know his accuracy percentage is up but he still has not developed accuracy with his long ball.  He still has head scratching misses on some shorter passes.

My issues with JA are similar. 

Percentage is up. He’s been much more efficient. He’s always been able to make throws that make your jaw drop at times. 

I think he has to process the field quicker, and figure out how to control velocity. Those go hand in hand sometimes. I think he throws so many fast balls that are difficult to catch, because his anticipation isn’t great, and is late on his read. So he unleashes a bullet that is difficult to catch, after the DB has reacted. 

I’m concerned that this is fixable, because it’s nuanced. I’m also pleased with this seasons improvement. I think he’s correcting his need/want to play hero ball, but when he goes underneath he seems late to release and poorly placed. 

Both excited and concerned. Which is where I think most criticisms come from with his play.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, DasNootz said:

I've re-watched the game and I think Allen was just fine

Agreed, I rewatched the game this morning and he was better than I remember. He had 2 bad drives in a row at the end of the 1st half. Beyond that he was solid. On the 3 FG drives Allen wasn't the primary reason for them stalling. In the 2nd half he only had one bad pass. Didn't even come close to a turnover at any point. I actually think this might have been his best game so far after rewatching it.

• Like (+1) 1

We're 5-1. Josh has 62% completion percentage and there have been many drops (at LEAST 5 by Knox this year)...... 

We're fine.

(Although, the play calling at times is like............... head scratching) like the 3rd and nine screen right off tackle.. that's NOT JA's fault 

5 hours ago, BillsFanSD said:

I'm growing concerned over our inability to beat the blitz.  For whatever reason, Allen is not doing a good job of hitting his hot receiver -- I don't know whether that's a result of him not being able to see pressure coming pre-snap, not finding the outlet guy fast enough, poor play design, or what, but it needs to get fixed.

How about he gets more help beating the blitz?

My take on it is Allen has made a few too many really dumb plays, so they've beat him over the head about not making the mistakes to the point he's now maybe become a bit overly cautious on his throws.  On deep passes, is he just thinking I'd rather be long than short so I'll just heave it out there worst case an incomplete rather than a potential INT.   Give him more time, likely the rest of this season and off-season to where they Bills remove the handcuffs again and let him just play but in a smarter way. 

I also think while their WR group is much improved from last year, it's still not a group the defensive coordinators are going to lose too much sleep over,  Assuming Williams does improve enough by next year to be a legit NFL receiver and they draft or sign a top FA WR and Singletary becomes a big threat out of the back field to catch 5 to 6 passes per game, and more consistency from the TE position too, then the group may install some fear.

5 hours ago, PaattMaann said:

hmmm....I will have to disagree. At least about having a problem with Josh all the sudden after yesterday. 

He missed two deep balls, but had a slew of other great throws (the touch pass to duke, the TD to Brown, the brown throw across the field, the throw to knox that was dropped as examples). 

Josh did not appear to be the problem with the offense. Dropped passes, missed assignments and untimely penalties have continued to stall our offensive drives inside enemy territory and THAT is very concerning. We need to figure out a way to continue to execute, which to be fair we did on the drive that started in 3rd quarter and ended in the 4th. 

I have very little problems with the way Josh played today, aside from missing those deep throws. WHY CANT HE HIT THOSE????? Is it a total shook confidence thing now? 

People also forget 2 terrible personal foul roughing the passer penalties- both were not a penalty. Pretty soon QB’s will be wearing flags around their waists.

21 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Obviously the horrible part is hyperbole.. but there is a huge segment of the "fan base" that only comes out of the woodworks when they lose and they make us all look bad

There are plenty of players and coaches who have not wanted to play or coach here over the years because they got a reputation as a team team without accountability , then you throw in the passionate fans who turn on players and coaches overnight and yea Buffalo has not been a fairytale destination for a long time

Winning cures everything

Again, you make generalizations without specifically naming any player or coach.

How about the following?

Players and coaches had a problem signing with the Buffalo Bills because they were a poorly run organization and had a very frugal owner.

Which statement is more true?

Edited by Binghamton Beast
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

How about he gets more help beating the blitz?

One play yesterday we saw Allen shake/juke one rusher, then two, then three and then get tackled by a fourth.  Our O lineman can't quit when they get beat by the guy they line up across from.  Josh scrambles.  Go find another guy to put your shoulder into.