First Time I have been concerned with Josh Allen

1 minute ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

In the first half I was having flashbacks to 'bad' Roman. I get that motions and gadgets can be handy, but they should never be the meat & potatoes of your plan. 

I think some of those motions were inserted to help Allen recognize coverages and the gadgets may have been added to keep those from being predictable. At least none of them got blown up like the fish’s Gadget pass. 

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This.  Hokie, have you looked at the film yet?  Look at Daboll's play calling and the blocking design in the first few series and tell me what you think. 

For me there's some flashback moments to last year where I wish I could (figuratively, 'cuz he could smash me like a buuuug) grab Daboll by the ears and yell "KISS!  KISS damn your eyes KISS! (and I'm not talking smoochies)

I am absolutely with you on this. I was beyond scratching my head as the NE game unfolded. It was as if he chose to try to exploit NE's primary strengths rather than weaknesses. The gameplan he had in Tenn is exactly what he should have doen with NE. Early in yesterday's game, it was as if he wanted to be overly creative against a bad defensive team...

• Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

After seeing Josh Allen's first performance in pre-season last year, I started a thread title "For the love of God, just name Josh Allen the starter" (Mods later changed thread title).

To me Allen is the most likable guy in the NFL, and the most fun to watch.  I so much want him to succeed.  

Yesterday's game troubled me quite a bit.  With two weeks to prepare for the worst team in the NFL, Singletary back,  a upgraded receiving corp including  glue hands Duke Williams and Tyler Kroft active, I expected the offense to be hitting on nearly all cylinders.   

it appears to me now that Allen and Daboll are simply not a good combination.  Daboll seems to be committed to developing Allen to play in the Daboll system rather than developing a system to optimize Allen's considerable physical skills.  At this point I am not sure they will be successful together.  There is a legitimate school of thought to say that there is a proper way to play NFL QB and Allen needs to learn that.    At the same time I think it is legitimate to say that some teams have been successful (Russell Williams) adapting an offense to take advantage of a particular QBs skill set.   I am not sure which is right.  I will say that I think Daboll's offense would work identically well with Jared Goff as our QB, and I think that leaves a lot of Josh Allen's skill set unused. I don't want to turn Allen into Goff.  

No matter what offense Josh plays in he will have accuracy issues.  He had them in college and still has them.  I thought pro coaches could help him but it hasn’t happened.  I know his accuracy percentage is up but he still has not developed accuracy with his long ball.  He still has head scratching misses on some shorter passes.

• Like (+1) 1

I have been concerned since they drafted him, but he was green, I don't think we have seen his ceiling yet and at game 17 he is actually further along than I thought he would be.

I expected disaster with him behind center last year, and if they did start him, I expected a run heavy, ball control offense that shielded him while he was training on the job.

On this team (if he can protect the ball and move the chains), we usually have a shot at winning.

Give it time, I wanted to see the turnovers go down, they have, completions go up, they have, but now it's the deep shots and being in sync with his speedsters.

We will keep moving the goal posts and if he is making progress I would expect that to happen.

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, DasNootz said:

I've re-watched the game and I think Allen was just fine. He didn't put up 300, but he did what he was asked to do.  He threw behind Beasely early in the game and missed on the two deep balls - outside of that he did well. He didn't have enough pass attempts to put up the huge stats that everyone wants to see without hitting a deep ball.  Knox drop alone cost him 4% in his completion percentage and probably 15-20 yards.  Beasely didn't come up with a very catchable ball on an out as well - which won't go down as a drop on the stat sheet but most NFL WRs would have come up with it.  Would have, could have, should have... I get it - but if both players made those routine plays, his stat line reads 18/26 (69%) for 240, 2 TDs 0 INTs and 32 yards rushing on 4 carries.  I'll take that.

I'll call it here - next week he'll have his 300 yards passing.

I thought he came through big time yesterday when it counted too, but one of the reasons he's not sniffing 300 yards is that he's been incapable of throwing an accurate deep ball all season. That has to change. It's one of the most basic skills requirements of even a replacement-level NFL QB. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Ray Finkel said:

No matter what offense Josh plays in he will have accuracy issues.  He had them in college and still has them.  I thought pro coaches could help him but it hasn’t happened.  I know his accuracy percentage is up but he still has not developed accuracy with his long ball.  He still has head scratching misses on some shorter passes.

Will this never end...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo Junction said:

I think some of those motions were inserted to help Allen recognize coverages and the gadgets may have been added to keep those from being predictable. At least none of them got blown up like the fish’s Gadget pass. 

It definitely could have been worse, but I think some of the misdirection actually threw off our timing and disrupted overall production. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Daboll is a real headscratcher to me.

He's GOT to realize up-tempo has worked well for this team, yet he rarely uses it. He makes Singletary disappear single-handedly. I don't understand his thought process most of the time.

Oh, no, now here you exaggerate.  He had big-time help from Josh Allen on that.  Watch the film.  Maybe they should put one of those air-filled wavy action figures on Motor's helmet that he can pull a cord to inflate at times to get Allen's attention. 

Allen: "Damn, nothing there, gotta tuck it and truck it" 

Singletary: "Yo hooo!  Yoo hooo Josh over here!"

Allen: "Damn, gotta tuck it and truck it again" 

Singletary: "Show a brotha some love!  What's a lonely RB at the checkdown stand gotta do, post on Tinder?"

• Haha (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

Yesterday's game troubled me quite a bit.  With two weeks to prepare for the worst team in the NFL, Singletary back,  a upgraded receiving corp including  glue hands Duke Williams and Tyler Kroft active, I expected the offense to be hitting on nearly all cylinders.   

You expected a group of guys who have never played a single game together to be 'hitting on all cylinders'?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The one concern I have is Josh’s failure to recognize obvious cover zero and hot route. There’s a question if he is being coached through his mistakes well enough or if he is not responding to the coaching. He saw that same formation 3-4 times vs the Pats, and just watching him, you just knew he was getting sacked.

• Like (+1) 2

Need to see him stack together 4 solid quarters, preferably against a good team.  Also want to see him process blitzes more quickly.  There were plays yesterday where he seemed to identify the hot read correctly, but then he refused to throw it there, and instead patted the ball or ran around in a panic until he was sacked.  Didn't like that.

But overall, hard not to still have a "Buy" rating on the guy.  When he's on, he's elite.

• Like (+1) 1

Not seeing this at all.

Josh played pretty well. And he and Daboll appear a nice match.

Josh is still young, and has a lot to learn. Comparing him to the young Russell Wilson is missing that Wilson was much much more NFL-ready when he came in the league. And while our running game this year is pretty good, it doesn't compare to the Seattle version back then.

3 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

It definitely could have been worse, but I think some of the misdirection actually threw off our timing and disrupted overall production. 

Probably. That’s the type of stuff that likely will get sorted as Allen gains more experience and the line plays together more. 

I wasn’t a huge fan of Spain missing A gap blitzes, and I assume some of those play calls are designed so Allen and Morse can change protections, etc. 

Just now, Buffalo Junction said:

Probably. That’s the type of stuff that likely will get sorted as Allen gains more experience and the line plays together more. 

I wasn’t a huge fan of Spain missing A gap blitzes, and I assume some of those play calls are designed so Allen and Morse can change protections, etc. 

?‍♂️ At the end of the day we overcame whatever shortcomings were perceived or created. As long as Allen is learning and the O is Gelling I'm not going to get too worked up about it.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

I am absolutely with you on this. I was beyond scratching my head as the NE game unfolded. It was as if he chose to try to exploit NE's primary strengths rather than weaknesses. The gameplan he had in Tenn is exactly what he should have doen with NE. Early in yesterday's game, it was as if he wanted to be overly creative against a bad defensive team...

That is exactly what I felt.  I thought Daboll had scripted a bunch of cute stuff initially that he thought he could trial out against a team of pushovers and was slow to abandon it.  To his defense, it was a few missed opportunities and some "not taking what the defense is giving you" away from working, but it still seemed too cute.

I have totally mixed feelings about Daboll as well as Allen.  Allen has youth and inexperience to excuse him.  This is Daboll's 4th OC gig.  At times, his play design and playcalling are excellent to even brilliant.  At other times, I feel he is storing his cranium somewhere dark and moist and failing to craft games appropriately for a young, developing QB and an OL that has scarcely played together.  Bobby Johnson >>> Juan Castillo but "Coach Scar" he ain't.

Just now, BuffaloHokie13 said:

?‍♂️ At the end of the day we overcame whatever shortcomings were perceived or created. As long as Allen is learning and the O is Gelling I'm not going to get too worked up about it.

Neither am I. The kid keeps eliminating weaknesses in his game, and I honestly thought he’d be getting his first start now instead of his 17th. 

Just now, IDBillzFan said:

Bills Fans are the battered wives of the NFL: too damaged to leave and always in fear.

You'd never know this team is 5-1 and winning games they should be winning.

When you don’t come close to covering the spread, you underperformed relative to your expectations, record or no.