First Time I have been concerned with Josh Allen

After seeing Josh Allen's first performance in pre-season last year, I started a thread title "For the love of God, just name Josh Allen the starter" (Mods later changed thread title).

To me Allen is the most likable guy in the NFL, and the most fun to watch.  I so much want him to succeed.  

Yesterday's game troubled me quite a bit.  With two weeks to prepare for the worst team in the NFL, Singletary back,  a upgraded receiving corp including  glue hands Duke Williams and Tyler Kroft active, I expected the offense to be hitting on nearly all cylinders.   

it appears to me now that Allen and Daboll are simply not a good combination.  Daboll seems to be committed to developing Allen to play in the Daboll system rather than developing a system to optimize Allen's considerable physical skills.  At this point I am not sure they will be successful together.  There is a legitimate school of thought to say that there is a proper way to play NFL QB and Allen needs to learn that.    At the same time I think it is legitimate to say that some teams have been successful (Russell Wison) adapting an offense to take advantage of a particular QBs skill set.   I am not sure which is right.  I will say that I think Daboll's offense would work identically well with Jared Goff as our QB, and I think that leaves a lot of Josh Allen's skill set unused. I don't want to turn Allen into Goff.  

Edited by PlayoffsPlease
typo that made some readers lose their minds.
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 2
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, PlayoffsPlease said:

After seeing Josh Allen's first performance in pre-season last year, I started a thread title "For the love of God, just name Josh Allen the starter" (Mods later changed thread title).

To me Allen is the most likable guy in the NFL, and the most fun to watch.  I so much want him to succeed.  

Yesterday's game troubled me quite a bit.  With two weeks to prepare for the worst team in the NFL, Singletary back,  a upgraded receiving corp including  glue hands Duke Williams and Tyler Kroft active, I expected the offense to be hitting on nearly all cylinders.   

it appears to me now that Allen and Daboll are simply not a good combination.  Daboll seems to be committed to developing Allen to play in the Daboll system rather than developing a system to optimize Allen's considerable physical skills.  At this point I am not sure they will be successful together.  There is a legitimate school of thought to say that there is a proper way to play NFL QB and Allen needs to learn that.    At the same time I think it is legitimate to say that some teams have been successful (Russell Williams) adapting an offense to take advantage of a particular QBs skill set.   I am not sure which is right.  I will say that I think Daboll's offense would work identically well with Jared Goff as our QB, and I think that leaves a lot of Josh Allen's skill set unused. I don't want to turn Allen into Goff.  

62%, 2TD, 0INT has you concerned?

And I think you mean Russell Wilson.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 4

6 minutes ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

it appears to me now that Allen and Daboll are simply not a good combination.  Daboll seems to be committed to developing Allen to play in the Daboll system rather than developing a system to optimize Allen's considerable physical skills.  At this point I am not sure they will be successful together.  There is a legitimate school of thought to say that there is a proper way to play NFL QB and Allen needs to learn that.    At the same time I think it is legitimate to say that some teams have been successful (Russell Williams) adapting an offense to take advantage of a particular QBs skill set.   I am not sure which is right.  I will say that I think Daboll's offense would work identically well with Jared Goff as our QB, and I think that leaves a lot of Josh Allen's skill set unused. I don't want to turn Allen into Goff.  

hmmm....I will have to disagree. At least about having a problem with Josh all the sudden after yesterday. 

He missed two deep balls, but had a slew of other great throws (the touch pass to duke, the TD to Brown, the brown throw across the field, the throw to knox that was dropped as examples). 

Josh did not appear to be the problem with the offense. Dropped passes, missed assignments and untimely penalties have continued to stall our offensive drives inside enemy territory and THAT is very concerning. We need to figure out a way to continue to execute, which to be fair we did on the drive that started in 3rd quarter and ended in the 4th. 

I have very little problems with the way Josh played today, aside from missing those deep throws. WHY CANT HE HIT THOSE????? Is it a total shook confidence thing now? 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

That's pretty vague.

Daboll's calling a lot of designed runs (more than I care for, honestly) and moving the pocket, which seems to be what you're looking for.

Relax the kids played 17 NFL games.

You don't need to put 50 up on a team to win and winning like that gets you a lot of hate.

I like how Dabol has barely dipped into the playbook and the Bills are still 5-1.

Lets save some stuff for down the stretch when things get tougher.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, PlayoffsPlease said:

it appears to me now that Allen and Daboll are simply not a good combination.

I dont agree with this. 

If you just let Allen play to his strengths youd just be seeing Allen from last year. 

Allen was challenged to develop a short and intermediate passing game for the betterment of himself and the taem.

Last year he couldnt even hit a slant.

Im all for Dabol right now as Josh continues to become a more complete passer.

• Like (+1) 2

Could someone drive a golf cart at full speed down the field and have Josh practice throwing to it for the next few days?

I looked it up just now, John Elway had 4 fourth-quarter comebacks in his first two years and his stats were way below where Josh is trending, currently.

Josh already has 5 comebacks. 

I'll take what I'm seeing.

Edited by Seasons1992
  • Like (+1) 3

PATIENCE

Allen is and always has been considered a work in progress.  I think he has and will continue to improve, not in huge quantum leaps but gradually.  Yesterday was HUGE progress, didn't turn the ball over once.  He is learning not io take (as many) stupid chances and throws, learning to take care of the ball .  I think Dabol is purposely designing plays to stay in the pocket and not run at the first hint of danger and Allens pocket awareness is improving.

Allen is going to take some time and should get better with experience.

Oh and we are 5-1 and he has, pretty incredibly got his completion % above the "magic" 60%.

• Like (+1) 5

Just now, Joe in Winslow said:

right?

The DEFENSE is the reason that game was close. They underperformed mightily. The O put up 24 points.

Exactly. Defense played easily their worst game of the year (they were going to have a down game eventually) and the offense was able to bail them out. And that's despite having a few solid drives sputter out due to drops or penalties. Josh is the last person to blame for this being a closer game than anyone anticipated. 

• Like (+1) 4

Lmao this thread. Russell Williams? Hahahaha

This fan base is horrible and why no good coaches or players liked coming here for 20 years

5-1 with a GREEN QB that everybody said HAD TO SIT FOR A YEAR OR 2

Well guess what he was baptized by fire and the growing pains will take years to fully work out..  people complaining about his INTs or hero mindset don't even realize he was NEVER given the time to acclimate to the league. Find out in practice over a few years what works and what doenst

But he was thrown into the fire... And now he is learning by trial and error... And people still get mad when he throws that ball across his body for an INT..   well guess what , I saw Favre throw that INT 50 times in his career and he didn't learn til 35

I'm giving Allen time

• Like (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I'm growing concerned over our inability to beat the blitz.  For whatever reason, Allen is not doing a good job of hitting his hot receiver -- I don't know whether that's a result of him not being able to see pressure coming pre-snap, not finding the outlet guy fast enough, poor play design, or what, but it needs to get fixed.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, Buffalo716 said:

Lmao this thread. Russell Williams? Hahahaha

This fan base is horrible and why no good coaches or players liked coming here for 20 years

5-1 with a GREEN QB that everybody said HAD TO SIT FOR A YEAR OR 2

Well guess what he was baptized by fire and the growing pains will take years to fully work out..  people complaining about his INTs or hero mindset don't even realize he was NEVER given the time to acclimate to the league. Find out in practice over a few years what works and what doenst

But he was thrown into the fire... And now he is learning by trial and error... And people still get mad when he throws that ball across his body for an INT..   well guess what , I saw Favre throw that INT 50 times in his career and he didn't learn til 35

I'm giving Allen time

And they choose a really solid outing to get concerned?

Makes no sense.

5 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

right?

The DEFENSE is the reason that game was close. They underperformed mightily. The O put up 24 points.

Eh...the defense only allowed 14 points when it really counted.  I didn't see the game but I could chalk-up the last TD by the Dols to prevent defense/thinking they had the game in hand being up by 10. 

1 minute ago, Doc said:

Eh...the defense only allowed 14 points when it really counted.  I didn't see the game but I could chalk-up the last TD by the Dols to prevent defense/thinking they had the game in hand being up by 10. 

Actually, they were not very good yesterday - not by their standards. They gave up way too many long, time consuming drives.