Peter King about the Bills - 10/21

inthebuff

gettyimages-1177258518.jpg

Buffalo isn’t the most impressive 5-1 team we’ve ever seen, but consider its near future. The Bills’ next five foes are a combined 8-25. Still hard to imagine them overtaking New England, particularly with the tiebreaker edge in the Pats’ favor, but consider this intoxicating thought: The Bills, as current fifth seed, would travel to the Colts if the season ended today; tell me they couldn’t win that game. The Bills are a hard team to figure. The Dolphins led them Sunday, in Orchard Park, for almost 28 minutes, and ran up 381 yards of offense. The Bills got booed lustily as they left the field at halftime, down 14-9. And were it not for third-year corner Tre’Davious White, they very well could have lost this game. Miami started the second half with a 10-minute drive, and Ryan Fitzpatrick tried to end the drive with a short TD pass to Isaiah Ford. White picked it off at the Buffalo 2. Two drives later, White forced a fumble at the Miami 28, recovered by the Bills. Talk about big turnovers: Both led to Buffalo touchdowns, and a 14-9 deficit was turned into a 24-14 lead. Ballgame.

Despite the two "big turnovers," later in the column he doesn't call out Tre'Davious as one of the D players of the week.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 3

32 minutes ago, inthebuff said:

Despite the two "big turnovers," later in the column he doesn't call out Tre'Davious as one of the D players of the week.  

King did not mention Tre White as one of the defensive players of the week, but he did "Call out" White by saying that his two plays may have saved the game. King is right when he says that the Bills are hard to figure out. They are developing an identity.

Edited by Rocket94
  • Like (+1) 4

19 minutes ago, inthebuff said:

I think he was huge for Bills (got some help from fitz -see pic above)

Edited by BuffaloMatt

3 minutes ago, eball said:

What's really funny is reading how Buffalo turned Miami's two turnovers into touchdowns -- while conveniently omitting that the Bills drove NINETY-EIGHT freaking yards after the first one.

That was the true turning point of game - huge momentum shift and disheartening for the Fins.  Thanks to Tre and the offense waking up,  instead of being up 21-9 Fins were now down 17-14!  15 point shift.  Back breaker.

• Like (+1) 3

5-1 is certainly intoxicating for a fan.  What concerns me is that the record of the opponents the Bills have beaten this year is something like 6-26 and of course the one lose was to the only team they've played with a winning record.   The next several games should be wins on paper.  The Eagles scare me as they're probably desperate already.

19 minutes ago, I'm Spartacus said:

On Tre White's interception, he didn't "loose" his helmet.

The Miami receiver (Ford) face-masked him out of bounds & pulled his helmet off. No flag on the play.

Yeah, then refs were very timely with their calls on us and their blind eye to other things at times yesterday. 

22 minutes ago, I'm Spartacus said:

On Tre White's interception, he didn't "loose" his helmet.

The Miami receiver (Ford) face-masked him out of bounds & pulled his helmet off. No flag on the play.

As bad as when Knox got called for holding while a player is bending his head back grabbing his face mask ...

• Like (+1) 4

51 minutes ago, chaccof said:

5-1 is certainly intoxicating for a fan.  What concerns me is that the record of the opponents the Bills have beaten this year is something like 6-26 and of course the one lose was to the only team they've played with a winning record.   The next several games should be wins on paper.  The Eagles scare me as they're probably desperate already.

And don't the Patriots play pretty much the same schedule?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

To me, it is so weird that many people here are obsessed with the opposition’s record. We don’t make the schedule. We play the games that are assigned to us. We have won 5 of the 6 we were scheduled to play so far this year. What the hell difference does it make whether those teams have won all their games or none of them. No matter, we still have to play and try to win those games. Maybe it’s just BBFS and trying to find something to whine about. Because that’s what Bills fans do.

the moral of the story is that we can only win the games we play.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

Not a bad gig if you can get it!

If Tre didn't make that play, YE OLE has visions of Sal stepping in and lowering the boom and then yelling "WE MUST PROTECT THIS HOUSE!"

McDermott would've been right there with some aggressive clapping and shouting "Way to protect that dirt, Sal!"

Thankfully, Tre made the pick and we didn't have to witness all of this nonsense.

• Haha (+1) 5

2 hours ago, chaccof said:

and if the Bills lost all those games, those other teams would have a better record

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

46 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

and if the Bills lost all those games, those other teams would have a better record

You're right, but not by much.  Look, if you've been a fan for any length of time you have to get a little jittery with a familiar and fast start like '08 and '11.  Believe me, I love it, I have my Bills polo on at work today, I'm kibitzing with the other two Bills fans I work with here in Virginia, I'm just saying I'd feel much better about the future if in the past the team had beat a team or two with  a winning record.  That's all.