What Looked Like a Billsy Loss Becomes a Patriotsy Win

theRalph

1 hour ago, Golden*Wheels said:

I will say one thing...Miami gets up for us, at least for a half, every game. Did somebody say something about somebodies mama or is this all back to the Landry block a while back?  I mean they were fired up from snap one.

When Wilkins throws a punch on the first play that tells us something! 

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, mabden said:

Even in the Kelly, Thrumon, Bruce days, I remember a road game in NE, where the Bills played like crap for 3 qtrs.  NE was playing their hearts out to win.   It looked like a sure loss for us until... the Bills woke up from their slumber, scored a couple of tds and walked out of the stadium with the win.  

Bottom line, these types of games happen.  Teams have let downs.  The better teams OVERCOME their bad play and whatever the opposing team throws at them.

Honestly fitz was playing great, which carried the dolphins defense and special teams to play above themselves.

I remember that game but it wasn't at NE it was played at Rich Stadium in 1992!  Okay I only vaguely remembered but I have the book Relentless which is a must have for Bills fans as it has a description and stats for EVERY Bills game played from 1960 - 1994!

That year the Bills would go to their 3rd straight SB.  The Pats would finish at 2 - 14 and were probably the worst team in the NFL.  And this was late in the season when we were jockeying for home field advantage.  Well at the Half the Pats led the Bills 7 - 0!  And the Bills were booed off the field.  In the 2nd half the Bills scored 16 points to win 16 - 7.

Another interesting observation is that Kelly & the Bills were pissed that they had been booed.  And Jim was NOT complimentary about the home fans that day.  Interestingly when asked about the booing Josh Allen said something along the lines of they were playing poorly and deserved it. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, theRalph said:

If Buffalo had lost, we would call it a "Billsy" loss. The game ended up looking to me like a "Patriotsy" win...like many games the Patriots win. The Patriots fans aren't haunted by years of losing and mediocrity, so this type of win for the Pats would look better than it does to Bills fans, especially those living with chronic Drought Effects Syndrome. Frankly, the Bills looked a bit flat in the first half...maybe a bye hangover. 

Many will bemoan the fact that the Bills didn't crush Miami. As a homer, I rather like how the Bills are able to come back in, now, a number of games.

If it does not involve cheating, obvious missed calls or extra calls when T*m Br*dy is breathed on hard it is not a "Patriotsy" win

13 minutes ago, buffswagger017 said:

Dude didn't scoop anything, he snatched it out of the air and took it the distance like a champ... Again the defense won the game

So using that rational Miami had only 5 pts on the scoreboard not 24.

That, and it was a Special Teams play.

Team game dude and the offense and special teams had to put up some points for us to win.

Complimentary football.

1 hour ago, BillsFanSD said:

I agree with this.  The first two handoffs were fine -- we weren't having any problems running the ball on Miami and it made sense to lean on the running game and try to kill the clock.  But on third and long, we should have gone for the first down.  Sure an incompletion would have been a mild bummer, but maintaining possession was a lot more important at that point of the game than keeping the clock running for just another 30 seconds.

I actually didnt have a problem with that. Fitz was playing well enough that an extra TO would have been a godsend. With the Fins down two scores and an onside kick virtually impossible to recover with the new rules, I'd do the same thing

1 hour ago, theRalph said:

If Buffalo had lost, we would call it a "Billsy" loss. The game ended up looking to me like a "Patriotsy" win...like many games the Patriots win. The Patriots fans aren't haunted by years of losing and mediocrity, so this type of win for the Pats would look better than it does to Bills fans, especially those living with chronic Drought Effects Syndrome. Frankly, the Bills looked a bit flat in the first half...maybe a bye hangover. 

Many will bemoan the fact that the Bills didn't crush Miami. As a homer, I rather like how the Bills are able to come back in, now, a number of games.

I absolutely agree with you in that this kind of win reminds of me of many Bills losses to the Patriots, when the Bills started out hot and seemingly outplayed them but lost it in the end. I attribute this to two things:

1. Dolphins came out HUNGRY. They were hyped up on adrenaline in the beginning of the game. I believe this can often lead a team to a hot start but kill them in the end as the energy can’t be maintained for 4 quarters. If you sprint in a marathon, you’re going to lose.

2. Well-coached teams understand football is 4 quarters and use the first half of the game to play conservatively while figuring out what the other side is doing, and then adjust accordingly for the second half. This is my theory on how the Patriots operate. 

We know and the Bills know that the offense is not developed right now. So the strategy for the time being is to protect the football, lean on the defense, and then score what’s necessary to win. WIth time, I hope the offense develops and we will have some fun watching them light up the scoreboard, but that may take another season or two IMHO.

• Like (+1) 2

37 minutes ago, Homey D. Clown said:

I was going to say something cute and snarky about this, but I started thinking about that patriots team, and can actually see your point.  ohh well, I save the snark for someone else.

Yes, thanks.

Not implying that this is the beginning of 2 decades of dominance and a dozen Superbowls.

But in a vacuum, that 2001 team (I meant 2001, said 2000) was a tough fundamentally sound team, not glamorous, whose defense (and ST) would find a way to turn games into wins.  Tom Brady was not all that impressive, but always seemed to do just enough to win the games.

Edited by May Day 10
  • Like (+1) 1

Like I said in another thread, division games are usually tough no matter what, at least one of the two games is.  Even the Bills SB Era teams used to struggle and sometimes get beat by the lowly Patriots...one year the 10-1 Bills lost 16-13 to the 3-7 Patriots 3 weeks after having played another close game against them where they squeaked out a win 22-17...

And yeah they had their share of blowout wins against the Pats during those times, but the Pats kept it close many games when they honestly had no business doing so...

Edited by matter2003

2 hours ago, VADC Bills said:

I would like to see the play calling get better for example down in the red zone all attempts were passes no run attempts, I believe we just needed 2 yards. Not on the Brady level yet where we can forget about run-pass balance in those situations.

We ended up getting a field goal.

Again on our last possession we should playing for game ending first downs instead we get conservative, 3 handoffs and then punt giving Miami a breath of life. Belichick knows how to go for the kill.

Josh has to work on seeing the field better going through his progressions quicker. Missing open receivers.

Very well stated...I couldn't agree more on all points.  I am so excited about our 5-1 record, but even more excited by the fact that we are 5-1 and we haven't played a full game yet where we were running on all cylinders, offense, defense and special teams.  Combine that with the fact that Josh is nowhere near reaching his full potential, and is only going to get better...

Edited by smuvtalker
typo

42 minutes ago, Nanker said:

The Bills are becoming a 2nd half team. Learn to recognize it and deal with it.

they are, but ironically they are just horrible in the 3rd quarter.  so it's really all in the 4th quarter where we win games.

with the exception of the NE game, where we stank for almost all of it, it's a couple good drives early, some D stops early, and either huge turnovers that let the opponent get back in it, or just a series of idiot penalties.

that is followed by a "here we go again" 3rd quarter where we just blow, and then a spectacular 4th quarter come back.

i like the results, but i don't know how much longer i can take the excitement.

There's so much narrative out there that the Miami game was somehow disappointing.

'Bills survive scare by woeful Fins and escape New Era Field with an ugly win.'

That game was, in fact, a thing of beauty.  No lost turnovers.  Two pretty TD passes - including one that capped a killer 98 yard drive.  Five scoring drives altogether.  Tre's pick and forced fumble.  Hyde's KO return...  

The Bills don't have the talent level of the Patriots or some other teams in the NFL.  But they do have some talent.  And they play hard and persevere.  Sunday enough Bills players made enough plays to give us our 5th win of the season.    

How many times in the past decades have we seen the D not deliver the turnover or the O fail to complete the pass to the end zone, leaving us with could-of and should-of beens?  On Sunday, this team delivered.  

Edited by hondo in seattle
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Yup

NE was only up 21-14 at home to start the 4th quarter versus a bad Giants team missing its best players at RB WR and TE 

Think about this: some are cranky that a double digit win wasn't dominant enough. That's how far this team has come!

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Like (+1) 2

The first half I was just saying....classic !@#$ Bills man. 

Told my pal...we actually make pretty good adjustments at half and I expect to win the game.

Dolphins marched down the field...I was over it. We got the pick. Sigh of relief.

to be honest...  this result could have been the best thing for this team.  

1. In the future, if they encounter a game where they can "roll the ball out there and win", they won't believe that and will take every opponent seriously.  Not saying they didnt take Miami seriously, but Im sure there was some degree of overconfidence for some % of the roster.

2. I think I like next week better that the Bills come off a close win where they were forced to execute and sweat it out.  A blowout win, and we would be hearing even more hype about the Bills.  A young team can talk all they want about keeping that all noise out, but human nature its impossible.  This could have been their let-down game and the Philly game could be their 'rebound'.