What Looked Like a Billsy Loss Becomes a Patriotsy Win

theRalph

If Buffalo had lost, we would call it a "Billsy" loss. The game ended up looking to me like a "Patriotsy" win...like many games the Patriots win. The Patriots fans aren't haunted by years of losing and mediocrity, so this type of win for the Pats would look better than it does to Bills fans, especially those living with chronic Drought Effects Syndrome. Frankly, the Bills looked a bit flat in the first half...maybe a bye hangover. 

Many will bemoan the fact that the Bills didn't crush Miami. As a homer, I rather like how the Bills are able to come back in, now, a number of games.

• Like (+1) 11
  • Sad 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 5

I had a similar thought. 

This game reminded me of games past where the Bills would show some potential, and then second half adjustments by Belichick, would turn the game around. 

I can see a tremendous amount of potential for this team, I’m not sure how they get to the next level. It sounds as if getting chewed out at halftime made a difference. Maybe this team needs an edge player. Someone who fits the process but has that crazy fueled fire inside of them, that gets everyone ready to fight on every series. It’s not to say that they aren’t motivated, but they need something extra.  

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, theRalph said:

If Buffalo had lost, we would call it a "Billsy" loss. The game ended up looking to me like a "Patriotsy" win...like many games the Patriots win. The Patriots fans aren't haunted by years of losing and mediocrity, so this type of win for the Pats would look better than it does to Bills fans, especially those living with chronic Drought Effects Syndrome. Frankly, the Bills looked a bit flat in the first half...maybe a bye hangover. 

Many will bemoan the fact that the Bills didn't crush Miami. As a homer, I rather like how the Bills are able to come back in, now, a number of games.

Hyde scooping up the onside kick and returning it for a TD is very Patsy.  

• Like (+1) 8

I would like to see the play calling get better for example down in the red zone all attempts were passes no run attempts, I believe we just needed 2 yards. Not on the Brady level yet where we can forget about run-pass balance in those situations.

We ended up getting a field goal.

Again on our last possession we should playing for game ending first downs instead we get conservative, 3 handoffs and then punt giving Miami a breath of life. Belichick knows how to go for the kill.

Josh has to work on seeing the field better going through his progressions quicker. Missing open receivers.

Edited by VADC Bills
  • Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, VADC Bills said:

I would like to see the play calling get better for example down in the red zone all attempts were passes no run attempts, I believe we just needed 2 yards.

We end up getting a field goal. Again on our last possession we should playing for game ending first downs instead we get conservative, 3 handoffs and then punt giving Miami a breath of life.

I agree with this.  The first two handoffs were fine -- we weren't having any problems running the ball on Miami and it made sense to lean on the running game and try to kill the clock.  But on third and long, we should have gone for the first down.  Sure an incompletion would have been a mild bummer, but maintaining possession was a lot more important at that point of the game than keeping the clock running for just another 30 seconds.

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, theRalph said:

I hear you, Ralph, but man, I don't remember any "Patriotsy" wins by them against teams that were 0-5.

48 minutes ago, theRalph said:

This team is going to win a lot of games but they aren’t blowing anyone out. 

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Golden*Wheels said:

I will say one thing...Miami gets up for us, at least for a half, every game. Did somebody say something about somebodies mama or is this all back to the Landry block a while back?  I mean they were fired up from snap one.

Mr. Dubenion, my good friend, you are spot on per usual... Wilkins just got there and even he was throwing punches the second play of the game!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, benderbender said:

The Bills-iest outcome would have been the ball slipping out of Hyde’s well timed leap and the Fins recovering in FG range. Then instead of a gimme overtime, Fitz does a fake spike for a TD. 

Sorry, but that would be Jetsy :thumbsup:

17 minutes ago, VADC Bills said:

I would like to see the play calling get better for example down in the red zone all attempts were passes no run attempts, I believe we just needed 2 yards. Not on the Brady level yet where we can forget about run-pass balance in those situations.

Again on our last possession we should playing for game ending first downs instead we get conservative, 3 handoffs and then punt giving Miami a breath of life. Belichick knows how to go for the kill.

Josh has to work on seeing the field better going through his progressions quicker. Missing open receivers.

Belechick goes for the kill because he is Belechick and has Tom Brady... The person some people refer to as The GOAT

Josh Allen is a green 23 year old who the game still hasn't slowed down completely for yet... Josh is farrr from perfect rn...

But taking Homer goggles off and being objective, I have done a complete 360° on Josh since draft night..

On draft night I thought he had solid potential but I didn't think he had a high floor. I thought he had massive bust potential.. 

That floor has already been massively raised over his first 16 starts! He isn't some bottom barreled shouldn't be in the league guy.   He is improving rapidly, just not statistically yet

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

59 minutes ago, Golden*Wheels said:

I will say one thing...Miami gets up for us, at least for a half, every game. Did somebody say something about somebodies mama or is this all back to the Landry block a while back?  I mean they were fired up from snap one.

I think you are right, but I can't see them getting up for Landry.

First he is no longer on the team, and 2nd he is a tool that gets into fights everywhere.

I think they just cannot stomach the fact that Buffalo is and has been better than Miami for a while.

It's a theory, but yeah they do get fired up usually for our games. There was that run for the bus game last year with us to end their season and coach, perhaps the new coaching staff made them watch that....

Edited by WideNine
  • Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, VADC Bills said:

I agree with you about the game/clock management at the end of the game.  That was very bizzare to me.

I'm not sure what you're thinking of WRT play calling on the FG attempts.  We had one 3-1 play which was an incomplete pass to Brown.  However the incomplete was a moot point because it was a holding penalty on Dawkins so it became 3-11.  That was technically the only play on the FG drives that was in the red zone.  On the 3rd drive, we stalled at the Miami 26.  I linked to the box score above, scroll down for the play by play.

• Like (+1) 1

This is a relatively young team with young starters at some critical positions. I’m really not surprised that they’re playing to the level of their competition. McD has been fantastic, but he’s also In his 3rd year as a HC and has hired a few young coaches as well: O line, ST, etc. I think this team is going to grow together and keep improving. As this moves along I expect them to overcome their inconsistencies and learn how to play up to their level of talent instead of the opposing teams. 

• Like (+1) 1

Even in the Kelly, Thrumon, Bruce days, I remember a road game in NE, where the Bills played like crap for 3 qtrs.  NE was playing their hearts out to win.   It looked like a sure loss for us until... the Bills woke up from their slumber, scored a couple of tds and walked out of the stadium with the win.  

Bottom line, these types of games happen.  Teams have let downs.  The better teams OVERCOME their bad play and whatever the opposing team throws at them.

Honestly fitz was playing great, which carried the dolphins defense and special teams to play above themselves.

6 minutes ago, mabden said:

Even in the Kelly, Thrumon, Bruce days, I remember a road game in NE, where the Bills played like crap for 3 qtrs.  NE was playing their hearts out to win.   It looked like a sure loss for us until... the Bills woke up from their slumber, scored a couple of tds and walked out of the stadium with the win.  

Bottom line, these types of games happen.  Teams have let downs.  The better teams OVERCOME their bad play and whatever the opposing team throws at them.

Honestly fitz was playing great, which carried the dolphins defense and special teams to play above themselves.

Yeah, yesterday's game was totally predictable.  No matter what they might have said before the game, there's no way the Bills were truly up for this game.  If they crush the Phins, everyone says "So what", and if somehow they lose, it's the end of the world.  Then you throw Fitz into the mix and it's a recipe for trouble.  Credit to the team that they got through it with a win.  A lot of doubters are starting to pop up in the national media, but who cares?   I think the Bills will play much better against Philly in a game that will probably get a fair amount of national attention.      

Edited by mannc
  • Awesome! (+1) 1