98 yard drive...

Hebert19

Can we talk about this for a second?  Is that the 2nd 98 yard drive of the year?  After a defensive stand nonetheless.   

And I believe I also heard that all but 1 of our TD drives this year are more than 70 yards?  

And the other stat that I saw was we have the 2nd highest average length of drive.

When was the last time we had an offense that could drive the length of the field without the huge chunk plays.   Say what you want about the offense but if they limit the turnovers they are actually a pretty good unit for these reasons above. 

Anyone have the official numbers?

This is what I have been saying for a few weeks now.  Despite the Bills not scoring all that many points this year they are much closer to breaking out and becoming a top 8-12 offense.

Why would I believe this?

1) This is not the same sort of team we had in the past that couldn't move the ball.  This team can match down the field.  

2) This team has a balanced air and run attack.  They are not one dimensional.

3) They have been very effective in the red zone.

4) Allen is continuing to improve.

They just need to improve in a few areas:

1) Less turnovers from Allen (which he has done the past two games)

2) Better situational awareness.  Buffalo has left a lot of points on the board this year with failed drives that have led to no points when crossing the opponents 40 yard line 

3) And Allen's deep ball accuracy.

These are not structural problems they are very correctable.

• Like (+1) 2

We should also understand why the three FG drives in the first half fizzled out.  One was a blatant drop by Knox, would have been First and Goal.  Another was due to a OL penalty.  And the third there was a maximum blitz where Allen had no chance.  He managed to throw the ball away... no sack, fumble or hero throw.  They were deep into Dolphin territory on each drive.

The 98 yard drive was highly impressive as well!

Edited by cage
  • Like (+1) 2

It was true until the 15 yarder drive yesterday.  The offense has been a mixed bag, there are signs of life but mistakes (penalties and turnovers) have kept the points down.   Going into yesterday they were officially the 10th ranked offense (based on yards) but points wise 7th from the bottom.  Since they have not been down a lot, the yards are not meaningless stat padding yards.  Every game, even yesterday has a reason why they dont play well the whole game....they need to put some complete games together on offense.   The 4th quarter play by Allen has been really good and is the reason this team is 5-1.   On the flip side, they may not have needed those 4th quarter numbers if Allen had not made various mistakes earlier on (not sure that is really true for yesterday but is for the whole season).

10 minutes ago, cage said:

We should also understand why the three FG drives in the first half fizzled out.  One was a blatant drop by Knox, would have been First and Goal.  Another was due to a OL penalty.  And the third there was a maximum blitz where Allen had no chance.  He managed to throw the ball away... no sack, fumble or hero throw.  They were deep into Dolphin territory on each drive.

The 98 yard drive was highly impressive as well!

Again....mistakes.   A great QB will make the defense pay with a TD when you all out blitz them....the Dolphins were very successful at that yesterday, we will see more of that in t he future until he makes them pay.  On at least one of those he had the opportunity to scan the field and came up empty which should not be the case with all those blitzers.

6 minutes ago, mattynh said:

Again....mistakes.   A great QB will make the defense pay with a TD when you all out blitz them....the Dolphins were very successful at that yesterday, we will see more of that in t he future until he makes them pay.  On at least one of those he had the opportunity to scan the field and came up empty which should not be the case with all those blitzers.

That was a jailbreak blitz.  They were on him immediately.  I'm not convinced Brady or Brees would've handled that one

14 minutes ago, Magox said:

This is what I have been saying for a few weeks now.  Despite the Bills not scoring all that many points this year they are much closer to breaking out and becoming a top 8-12 offense.

Why would I believe this?

1) This is not the same sort of team we had in the past that couldn't move the ball.  This team can match down the field.  

2) This team has a balanced air and run attack.  They are not one dimensional.

3) They have been very effective in the red zone.

4) Allen is continuing to improve.

They just need to improve in a few areas:

1) Less turnovers from Allen (which he has done the past two games)

2) Better situational awareness.  Buffalo has left a lot of points on the board this year with failed drives that have led to no points when crossing the opponents 40 yard line 

3) And Allen's deep ball accuracy.

These are not structural problems they are very correctable.

Right. The lack of point production is a consequence of drives that are stalling out between the opponent's 40 and 20 yard lines. 18 drives in the first 6 games that ended in that range without scoring ANY points. Most of those drives ended because of mistakes, penalties, or turnovers - and, while Allen has his share of blame for bad throws and turnovers so far, very few of those 18 potential scoring drives actually ended in no points because of Allen. Even yesterday, the field goal drives could have gone further and potentially ended in touchdown drives had it not been for dropped passes and penalties.

It will come.

7 minutes ago, cage said:

That was a jailbreak blitz.  They were on him immediately.  I'm not convinced Brady or Brees would've handled that one

I am not remembering the one before an FG, you may be right on that one.  But there was another that led to a punt where he did have time...both were "jail breaks".   Not every time but at least sometimes you should burn the defense on those.

Edited by mattynh

Beasley had a bad drop that would have been for a long 1st down conversion as well. You can see it with Allen, he's gonna be the guy here for years to come. The deep shots are a confidence thing. I believe once he connects on one then the monkey will be off of his back so to speak and he'll be better. You can see when it gets mentioned that it is bothering him as well, missing the guys open down the field like that. You start connecting on those and the whole energy of the game changes. It's coming. 

Edited by H2o
  • Like (+1) 3

Yesterdays game demonstrates that you show up to play every week and every opponent - even the 2019 Dolphins. The Fins are not as bad as portrayed and while we have the better team, we are still in the process. Building a winning never quit culture for the long term is crucial to 2019 and McBeane is accomplishing that! I like what I see in JA including the 98 yard drive but concede he needs to hit on the long vertical game very soon, but we are 5 - 1!!

• Like (+1) 1

As a guy who played the position.   Allen's issue on the long ball is really simple.  Hes throwing it on a rope when he needs to put some air under it and let the receiver run under it.  His timing on the throws is actually great...just needs a little more loft. 

• Like (+1) 2