Brandon Beane’s approach to the trade deadline - May intensify after yesterday

YoloinOhio

8 hours ago, freddyjj said:

Yesterday showed Bills need help at:

1. SAM position behind Milano.  History shows he can't be counted on for 16 games as hurt each of first 3 years.

2. Edge Rusher.  Bills struggled to get pressure from outside despite Miami OTs being below average.  This is top trade target at deadline. 

3. WR continues to be a need on this team. Another outside target with separation skills would help. 

Phone lines are open at OBD 

I'd like to see us add a probowl caliber LT so we can move Dawkins to RT and kick Ford to G. Our OL is better, but still just average. Forget the absurd arguments about needing or not needing an elite #1 WR. We need a guy that can keep DC's awake at night there. Brown has been a pleasant surprise, but more is needed at WR/TE.

I've lost confidence in Trent Murphy. He's a very average DE and can easily be replaced. An elite edge rusher would make a noticeable difference.

The other position that I think needs a true #1 is outside CB. Wallace is good, but inconsistent. White is better, but not a shutdown corner. Let Wallace compete for slot CB since T Johnson can't stay healthy. That would give us perhaps the best defense in the NFL.

• Haha (+1) 1

Elway has stated publicly he isn't trading any one. I still wonder what it would take to pry Von Miller away from the Broncos. Right now, aside from the right side of the OL that is struggling, a legitimate edge rusher is what's really lacking on this team and what would hold us back in the playoffs. Jerry Hughes has 1.5 sacks. Shaq has 1. Darryl Johnson has 1. Trent Murphy has none. That just isn't getting it done on the outside.

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

I'd like to see us add a probowl caliber LT so we can move Dawkins to RT and kick Ford to G. Our OL is better, but still just average. Forget the absurd arguments about needing or not needing an elite #1 WR. We need a guy that can keep DC's awake at night there. Brown has been a pleasant surprise, but more is needed at WR/TE.

I've lost confidence in Trent Murphy. He's a very average DE and can easily be replaced. An elite edge rusher would make a noticeable difference.

The other position that I think needs a true #1 is outside CB. Wallace is good, but inconsistent. White is better, but not a shutdown corner. Let Wallace compete for slot CB since T Johnson can't stay healthy. That would give us perhaps the best defense in the NFL.

Dawkins and Felciano have both been playing really well and are our 2 best linemen, makes no sense to move the pieces that are working. 

36 minutes ago, Luka said:

Elway has stated publicly he isn't trading any one. I still wonder what it would take to pry Von Miller away from the Broncos. Right now, aside from the right side of the OL that is struggling, a legitimate edge rusher is what's really lacking on this team and what would hold us back in the playoffs. Jerry Hughes has 1.5 sacks. Shaq has 1. Darryl Johnson has 1. Trent Murphy has none. That just isn't getting it done on the outside.

We have played a few QBs with quick triggers this year - Manning, Brady, Dalton.  Could be part of the reason the numbers are low.  

We sacked brady 0 times... but he was legit under pressure the entire game.  

I don’t think any real difference makers will be available this year for the trade deadline. 
Doesn’t mean someone with a little potential can’t be found but I don’t think we will see any elite players on the move. You could see maybe Vic Beasley from the falcons for say a 5th as a one year rental type deal. Falcons should be big sellers (they aren’t trading Julio or Ridley sadly) but their season is done. I’d love to see Quinn fired and a giant fire sale in Atlanta though. What a wasted group of talent 

2 hours ago, Luka said:

This.  We only get sacks that are coverage sacks or on blitzes.  We need waaaaay more than we are getting.  

6 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

There is some good stuff here about the increase in trades this season:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/10/21/rams-trade-jalen-ramsey-fmia-nfl-peter-king/

The Rams are not alone in bulking up on trades. Cleveland, Baltimore, Oakland, Philadelphia and Pittsburgh (!) are dipping their toes in the pool more than they used to, or more than their predecessors. This could be an outlier season regarding trades, but I doubt it. With eight days to go before the trading deadline, see how times have changed in 10 years:

2009: 39 trades in the calendar year, involving 50 players. Seven traded players were Pro Bowlers at least once.

2019: 54 trades (with eight days left in the period), involving 69 players. Thirteen have been to at least one Pro Bowl.

Today, it’s easier to find ways to measure performance. There’s a rise of analytics, there’s better technology, better and more accurate data. What we’ve found is you can find undervalued players easier than before. So I think football people are getting better at synthesizing data to find players.”

The bolded is the most important aspect, IMO.    Using analytics teams should be more able identify traits that should fit better into what they could do in THEIR offense or defense.........even if those players aren't doing it a lot in the systems they are in.    Fit has always been important but having more data to support trades will naturally embolden GM's to make them.   Also EVERY team is in a constant state of turnover nowadays...........bringing in a new player isn't a big disadvantage anymore the way it was when Polian brought in James Lofton and basically had to redshirt him the rest of the year.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

I'd put WR first ahead on any other position. 

Agreed 100%!  We need to score more points.  

Look what Allen has accomplished with Smoke and he’s not even an elite WR. Imagine Allen with another WR equal to or better than Smoke. 

1 hour ago, HOUSE said:

You have to assess, can you make a run? And if you can make a run, what would hold you back? Is there a position or positions? What's out there?”

Who is Brandon Beane calling an ASS ?

Seems harsh

Thats exactly what it may be coming to. Have they played enough games to know exactly what they. need and who.  How much are they willing to spend? sacrifice? Do they deviate slightly from original plan?

4 hours ago, GreggTX said:

What makes you think Wallace is a fit in the slot? I think he’s been very good in the outside. You can never have too many CBs; I think K. Johnson is a solid flex option, but wouldn’t mind adding a big CB in the draft to help against guys like Hopkins in the end zone. 

I think at this point of the season the only move that makes a lot of sense is an edge rusher. Don't have to teach him a lot of your scheme quickly. Just let him go. Not sure who is out there that fits the bill. Ngakoue is the pipe dream but I'm sure the Jags think they're still a playoff contender. Beasley may be worth a late pick. I liked Lorenzo Carter a lot in last years draft. Maybe the Giants are ready to move on from him? 

Edited by Floydboy12
  • Like (+1) 1