Brandon Beane’s approach to the trade deadline - May intensify after yesterday

YoloinOhio

25 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Edge is the biggest need on the team. Von Miller is the answer.

I like the Keenan Allen idea above too.

I don't see Atlanta trading Julio

AJ Green could in interesting.  Trade for him and let him heal for a few more weeks. Bring him back for the stretch run. Deep speed opposite Brown would open up the entire offense.

I am pro build through the draft all the way, but if the Bills are convinced that Von Miller can still produce at a high level...then it may deserve consideration. The Bills are certainly more aware of where they stand than in weeks past. 

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

Offensive Line is a big need IMHO. Josh is under pressure too often. However, I doubt that any team is in a position to trade away a better than average O Lineman.

Adding to OL won't help.  The pressure on Allen is mostly through the blitz and unbalanced fronts that can't only be handled by the OL.  It's up to Allen to figure out how to beat that pressure.

• Like (+1) 2

There is some good stuff here about the increase in trades this season:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/10/21/rams-trade-jalen-ramsey-fmia-nfl-peter-king/

The Rams are not alone in bulking up on trades. Cleveland, Baltimore, Oakland, Philadelphia and Pittsburgh (!) are dipping their toes in the pool more than they used to, or more than their predecessors. This could be an outlier season regarding trades, but I doubt it. With eight days to go before the trading deadline, see how times have changed in 10 years:

2009: 39 trades in the calendar year, involving 50 players. Seven traded players were Pro Bowlers at least once.

2019: 54 trades (with eight days left in the period), involving 69 players. Thirteen have been to at least one Pro Bowl.

That’s a snapshot, not a long-term study. But it just feels like trading has picked up, and though the Rams may be at the head of the pack, they’re not alone. One GM told me over the weekend when I relayed those trading stats: “I bet that numbers ends up at 65.”

“I’ve been thinking about it,” said Hall of Fame GM Bill Polian, “and I want to withhold final judgment, but there are a few factors. Miami’s getting rid of players. The Rams are aggressive. And I think for players with leverage, they see this as being the NBA. I’ll go where I want to go. Ramsey, Antonio Brown—trade me, and the hell with the consequences. But there’s also a little bit of the old [Dodgers GM] Branch Rickey in some of the newer GMs. Rickey said, ‘The only title you can win is the title you can win this year.’ “

Polian then made a fascinating point: He said he didn’t want to be a “curbstone psychologist.” But he said, “I think this generation of GMs might be a little more transactional. It used to be not many GMs thought about taking risks. They were from a generation where their parents might have grown up in the Depression, or remembered the Depression. Life was hard enough without taking risks. Today, the idea that you can make these decisions and change your team quickly is inculcated in this generation. I’m not sure of that, but it seems to be true.”

I love that theory. I think it is dead-on. Why wait to fix a problem when you might get fired after two years? When I told Demoff and Snead, they were fascinated. “Bill makes a great point about our league now, and your trade data backs up the fact it’s not just us. Bill Belichick is great at it too. When they have a hole, he doesn’t wait. He attacks. He trades. He takes chances too.”

Demoff pounced next: “The NBA is coming to the NFL. This [the Ramsey trade] is a similar case to those NBA deals.

“Prior team-building formulas, where you basically had guys for their careers, is pretty much over,” he said. “Think of the guys who’ve moved in the past year. Khalil Mack. Marcus Peters. Jalen Ramsey. Jarvis Landry. Laremy Tunsil—”

“Odell!” Snead interjected.

“Beckham too—forgot him,” Demoff said. “But I think there’s one other important factor here. Today, it’s easier to find ways to measure performance. There’s a rise of analytics, there’s better technology, better and more accurate data. What we’ve found is you can find undervalued players easier than before. So I think football people are getting better at synthesizing data to find players.”

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

We could afford him but it's a lot of money for a WR over 30. 

yep.  Its just not how they run the team.  They've done a lot of work to get out of salary cap hell, and they aren't going to start making short term decisions like this that will ruin the work they've done.

• Like (+1) 2

43 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

Offensive Line is a big need IMHO. Josh is under pressure too often. However, I doubt that any team is in a position to trade away a better than average O Lineman.

The main problem with OL is they can't adjust properly to blitzes, yesterday the first series ended on a blitz by the middle and only the five linemen trying to block

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Rocket94 said:

I am pro build through the draft all the way, but if the Bills are convinced that Von Miller can still produce at a high level...then it may deserve consideration. The Bills are certainly more aware of where they stand than in weeks past. 

I'm a win now guy. And I'm also a build on your strength guy. A dominant pass rusher would make this defense terrifying. 

Another WR or RT probably won't mean much this year, but if the can land a speed WR or a RT for the stretch run it could help.

I understand people's desires to add a "Dominant pass rusher" but there aren't a lot of them available, and the ones who are will cost a kings ransom.  Moving for a true pass rusher is very different than making a move for a WR... I think WR is more realistic because of the cost involved... flat out there are more WRs to go around so the price is cheaper.  Could be wrong though...

Edited by MR8

27 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I'm a win now guy. And I'm also a build on your strength guy. A dominant pass rusher would make this defense terrifying. 

Another WR or RT probably won't mean much this year, but if the can land a speed WR or a RT for the stretch run it could help.

Yes...always nice to have insurance.

30 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I think a dominant DE would make this defense at the level as Denver a few years back.  Unfortunately those guys are hard to come by.

I would be very happy with another good WR but a good pass rushing DE...I would have to change my underwear.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think a dominant DE would make this defense at the level as Denver a few years back.  Unfortunately those guys are hard to come by.

I would be very happy with another good WR but a good pass rushing DE...I would have to change my underwear.

Seahawks fans thought the same thing when they got Clowney.  Hasn’t worked out that way.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, mannc said:

Seahawks fans thought the same thing when they got Clowney.  Hasn’t worked out that way.

Miller is a better pass rusher and all around player than Clowney. Clowney, not unlike CJ Spiller, is more athlete than football player. Just doesn't make the plays when needed most. But your premise is correct, they could trade for Miller and be no better at rushing the passer. Murphy and Lawson are just not any good at pass rushing and Hughes has taken a small step back. 

6 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Miller is a better pass rusher and all around player than Clowney. Clowney, not unlike CJ Spiller, is more athlete than football player. Just doesn't make the plays when needed most. But your premise is correct, they could trade for Miller and be no better at rushing the passer. Murphy and Lawson are just not any good at pass rushing and Hughes has taken a small step back. 

I know it was only one game, but Von Miller was invisible against the Chiefs on Thursday. And I believe he’s 31 years old.  I would not give up more than a third for him.  

1 minute ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Keep hearing Hughes has taken a step back, the truth is this player you're seeing is the player Jerry Hughes always has been.   He is a slightly above average pass rusher who sets the edge well.   He has averaged around 7 sacks a year, and thats skewed quite a bit by the two ten sack seasons he had when he played on one of the best defensive lines the Bills have ever had and wasnt facing double teams constantly.

The Bills, and Jerry would both benefit a ton by getting a true number one pass rusher on this team.   Hughes is a good player, but he is very far off from being a team's main pass rusher.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, mannc said:

I know it was only one game, but Von Miller was invisible against the Chiefs on Thursday. And I believe he’s 31 years old.  I would not give up more than a third for him.  

Once Chubb tore his ACL, teams can again scheme toward Von solely... he brings pressures at the very least, mismatches every down, and when he’s on he’s unstoppable.  He’s also a darn good run defender and all around player outside of edge rushing...

is this team one piece away from deep playoff run.... better answer that question first 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, freddyjj said:

Yesterday showed Bills need help at:

1. SAM position behind Milano.  History shows he can't be counted on for 16 games as hurt each of first 3 years.

2. Edge Rusher.  Bills struggled to get pressure from outside despite Miami OTs being below average.  This is top trade target at deadline. 

3. WR continues to be a need on this team. Another outside target with separation skills would help. 

Phone lines are open at OBD 

In addition to what you listed also need a RT too.  Will not shock me that the team doesn't resign Spain so next season Ford does go to guard and you draft a true RT.  To me this is the problem too many holes worth mortgaging the future to try and fill now as opposed to keeping all your picks and fill in the off season either through the draft or FA.  If you start trading now to fill all these holes, won't have enough quality picks left.

Having said that of all the spots listed I'd probably think the LB may be the easiest to fill as not really looking for a starter there, just a better backup so probably don't need to give as much up either.