Brandon Beane’s approach to the trade deadline - May intensify after yesterday

YoloinOhio

6 minutes ago, benderbender said:

If you’re hoping for a WR, then I assume you think our current WRs can’t get separation and the issue isn’t Allen’s limitations. I like Allen and I believe he has a high ceiling, he just isn’t the surgical precision passer we want him to be yet. So I would lean towards LB or OL at this point if moves are to be made. 

It's certainly a tough call.  Does Josh Allen just need to be better, specifically on the deep balls?   If we dial up a couple deep shots per game and Josh connects at an average clip, are we all still clamoring for a WR?

Dudes get open deep.  He's just been missing them. 

I'd still prefer to have someone other defenses respect opposite Brown though.  Maybe Duke is that guy, but I don't think we can count on that. 

Edited by SCBills

A light bulb went off for me last night when Amari Cooper caught a couple of long shots downfield. It was mentioned during the broadcast as well that having a guy that demands double coverage, or over the top help makes all the difference in the world for Dallas.

I believe John Brown is perfect for the Bills and for Allen right now. Even with his successes, we clearly don't have anyone on the roster with proven skill sets that demand double coverage or every down help. That person alone would make all the difference with this offense, as it clearly did for the Cowboys.

9 minutes ago, SCBills said:

It's certainly a tough call.  Does Josh Allen just need to be better, specifically on the deep balls?   If we dial up a couple deep shots per game and Josh connects at an average clip, are we all still clamoring for a WR?

Dudes get open deep.  He's just been missing them. 

Josh still gets WAY too amped-up in games, and it shows when he gets excited on the deep ball.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, clayboy54 said:

A light bulb went off for me last night when Amari Cooper caught a couple of long shots downfield. It was mentioned during the broadcast as well that having a guy that demands double coverage, or over the top help makes all the difference in the world for Dallas.

I believe John Brown is perfect for the Bills and for Allen right now. Even with his successes, we clearly don't have anyone on the roster with proven skill sets that demand double coverage or every down help. That person alone would make all the difference with this offense, as it clearly did for the Cowboys.

Josh still gets WAY too amped-up in games, and it shows when he gets excited on the deep ball.

Yup.. Dak is a completely different QB when Cooper plays.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, H2o said:

Beane is always looking. If there is someone available that helps this team, and he can make a reasonable deal, then he does so every time. He's not going to ransom our future though. He's the best GM we could have hoped for after the years of shear ineptitude @ OBD.  

This.  He's always looking and he always has his eye on value.  He hates overpaying, and he won't trade away future assets unless he's pretty sure the player he gets is going to be an upgrade.  He will not trade just to make a trade.  I think some GMs will, just on the hope that the new guy might give his team a spark.  Beane wants more than "hope."

• Like (+1) 2

I don't get the general understanding that we need to add another wide receiver that can get separation. It was clear to me that Josh Allen wasn't able to consistently locate his receivers that were separating, evident by John Brown throwing up his arms after getting open past the first down marker on a 3rd and long. There are other times where Josh finds and open receiver and can't connect, like the deep balls to both John Brown and Andre Roberts that were missed, despite them each having a step or two. It seems obvious that our offensive point of emphasis should be Josh's growth in seeing coverages and routes develop, and cleaning up the offensive line penalties that are giving us unfavorable down and distances. Without fixing these problems first, I don't know how we are able to make a true analysis of the quality of our wide receivers. 

• Like (+1) 5

Beane and McDermott may not have expected the Bills to progress this far yet. Now, finding themselves in a playoff race, they may not have the luxury of waiting for 2020 draft to fortify the roster. I bet that Beane is really looking for help and has been for awhile. Any moves that he makes at this point would serve the team and not surprise me at all.

Edited by Rocket94

There are the common names being kicked around, but I would also reach out to the Chargers for Keenan Allen as they're looking dead in the water this year.  I'd also kick the tires with KC for a cheaper option like Demarcus Robinson... they have big money invested in Watkins and Hill, and a high draft pick in Hardman, they likely can't keep them all and they need to add to their defense.  I would offer a pick for Robinson that they can flip for help on Defense. 

• Like (+1) 1

I also agree with the needs discussed on this post, but I’m not sure a WR is going to realistically help the team THIS season. Basically the whole offensive team is new from the Oline to the RBs to the WRs. They’re still just trying to figure themselves out, I think if you throw another WR out there right now it’s not gonna help unless MAYBE it’s an all-pro veteran (which is going to be hard to get).

An edge rusher however as was also suggested could come in and contribute immediately.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, SCBills said:

I’m trying really hard not to go all the way there... but we’re 5-1, with a defense very close to being dominant, an offense that moves the ball, is clutch in the 4th and almost automatic in the red zone...

Our one loss was against the Patriots in Josh Allen’s worst game of the season, got knocked out for the 4th Quarter and we lost due to a blocked punt for a TD and STILL had chances to win it at the end.   

This is also the AFC.  Our competition looks like the Patriots, Chiefs, Texans, Ravens and Colts.  Do we honestly think we can’t hang with any of them by years end?  

Josh Allen has to get better at limiting mistakes and connecting on the deep ball, but if we bring in a Von Miller or A.J. Green/Emmanuel Sanders....  Maybe we’re a year away, but with the way Beane has our cap and draft picks, why not try?

Why not try .... if and only if it doesn't hurt future chances.

They've made it clear that they want to build a consistent competitor. And if you're giving away a high pick you're doing that unless the guy you bring in is both a great fit in the locker room and young enough that he can be around for a while on top of excellent talent.

I agree with Skurski ... the Kelvin Benjamin trade didn't work out, but it was a nice attempt. Giving up that kind of value for a guy with that kind of (potential but ultimately unrealized talent) effect on the field would be worth it, IMO. I don't expect them to send away a 1st or a 2nd, and I hope they don't.