Brandon Beane’s approach to the trade deadline - May intensify after yesterday

YoloinOhio

“I'm always looking:' Brandon Beane in the spotlight as trade deadline approaches

So far, Beane has resisted the temptation to really jump into the mix. The Bills did trade wide receiver Zay Jones to the Raiders last week in exchange for a 2021 fifth-round draft pick, but that was a deal that had more to do with a player who had fallen down the depth chart than anything deadline-inspired.

At 4-1, though, and with a future schedule that shows plenty of games in which they will be the favorites – starting Sunday against the Miami Dolphins – the Bills are undoubtedly a team to watch closely as said deadline approaches. If the Bills handle business against the Dolphins, they’ll head into the deadline at worst 5-2 and in a playoff spot. That’s the same record the team had in 2017 when Beane swung a deal with the Carolina Panthers for wide receiver Kelvin Benjamin, sending away third- and seventh-round draft choices.

“Your record does matter,” Beane said of his approach to the deadline. “I think you saw that two years ago. … We were looking for receiver help at the time, and so we took a shot there. Sometimes you're going to take a shot and it's going to work out great, sometimes they don't all work out as you planned.

“You have to assess, can you make a run? And if you can make a run, what would hold you back? Is there a position or positions? What's out there?”

This article is from Friday but I think pertinent given its intent about how record can dictate approach 

Edited by YoloinOhio

Beane is always looking. If there is someone available that helps this team, and he can make a reasonable deal, then he does so every time. He's not going to ransom our future though. He's the best GM we could have hoped for after the years of shear ineptitude @ OBD.  

Edited by H2o
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Yesterday showed Bills need help at:

1. SAM position behind Milano.  History shows he can't be counted on for 16 games as hurt each of first 3 years.

2. Edge Rusher.  Bills struggled to get pressure from outside despite Miami OTs being below average.  This is top trade target at deadline. 

3. WR continues to be a need on this team. Another outside target with separation skills would help. 

Phone lines are open at OBD 

Edited by freddyjj
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I don’t know how concerned to be about LB depth.  Kind of a perfect storm with Milano out, as well as Thompson.   Anytime a team has to go to the backups, backup, there can be a pretty big drop off.    I wouldn’t be opposed to getting better depth though.  

I do agree with EDGE.  I think Fitz was getting the ball out really quick, as well as moving well in the pocket.  That being said, I’d be offering Shaq and a pick to anyone with an available pass rusher, not named Vic Beasley.   We’re paying/drafting someone at EDGE this offseason... going to be Shaq or someone else anyway. 

Also agree with WR.  John Brown is a stud.  Cole Beasley is solid.  Duke is definitely worth investing in, but after two games, I don’t think he’s going to be the cure-all.  McKenzie needs to get the ball more, but that’s besides the point.  Foster and Roberts are speed guys, but one can’t get healthy, and the other is a guy who should be KR/PR - WR depth.  We have the pieces, but are still lacking the guy who can draw attention opposite John Brown. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, freddyjj said:

1. SAM position behind Milano.  History shows he can't be counted on for 16 games as hurt each of first 3 years.

2. Edge Rusher.  Bills struggled to get pressure from outside despite Miami OTs being below average.  This is top trade target at deadline. 

3. WR continues to be a need on this team. Another outside target with separation skills would help. 

Phone lines are open at ONE. 

I would put RT and WR before DE, but agree overall. The Bills should be able to fill a need in the next week without giving up the future. This team is not SB-ready so I think they can save the high picks and try to just upgrade some spots. 

1 hour ago, Sundancer said:

I would put RT and WR before DE, but agree overall. The Bills should be able to fill a need in the next week without giving up the future. This team is not SB-ready so I think they can save the high picks and try to just upgrade some spots. 

I’m trying really hard not to go all the way there... but we’re 5-1, with a defense very close to being dominant, an offense that moves the ball, is clutch in the 4th and almost automatic in the red zone...

Our one loss was against the Patriots in Josh Allen’s worst game of the season, got knocked out for the 4th Quarter and we lost due to a blocked punt for a TD and STILL had chances to win it at the end.   

This is also the AFC.  Our competition looks like the Patriots, Chiefs, Texans, Ravens and Colts.  Do we honestly think we can’t hang with any of them by years end?  

Josh Allen has to get better at limiting mistakes and connecting on the deep ball, but if we bring in a Von Miller or A.J. Green/Emmanuel Sanders....  Maybe we’re a year away, but with the way Beane has our cap and draft picks, why not try?

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 3

Also, has anyone looked at the available FA’s in the offseason?  Guys who may actually become available?  

Nothing too crazy.  (If that’s what everyone is looking forward to)

We have plenty to throw some around and sign our own guys, while staying on track to take care of our own guys in the future. 

Now if these teams are asking for Kings ransoms for guys who aren’t Jalen Ramsey types, I get not making a move, but I do think Beane is definitely looking for a move to make.  

Edited by SCBills

10 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

Sanders green and miller will all be calls that he makes.  Not saying we will make a trade but our pass rush needs to improve and another weapon would be nice. He will make those calls. 

If they can get one of those guys, it would be awesome. I want a WR badly but Von Miller on this D would be really fun. 

48 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I'd put WR first ahead on any other position. 

Not that there's another Mack or Clowney available for a trade right now, but if there was, he'd be a much more immediate help to this team than a WR.

• Like (+1) 3

In any other sport the Bills would be going all in at the trade deadline loading up on players to push them over the top. Their record and upcoming schedule all point to a season they probably didn’t see coming just two months ago. They have the cash. Go for it!

1 hour ago, freddyjj said:

Phone lines are open at OBD 

I agree with you on all points, with the exception being the need for another WR.  I truly believe we are in good shape at the WR position.  Brown is proving to be an every down, sure-handed, AND speed receiver for us.  Beasley has yet to be fully utilized.  Duke Williams, if he can stay healthy, has a chance to be a solid WR, and we have great depth with Foster and McKenzie.  And Andre Roberts has tremendous speed as we saw yesterday how he torched both the CB and the safety...

I think Josh just needs to get settled in and find his groove, and start connecting on those long balls. Once he does I think our offense can be SCARY good.

If you’re hoping for a WR, then I assume you think our current WRs can’t get separation and the issue isn’t Allen’s limitations. I like Allen and I believe he has a high ceiling, he just isn’t the surgical precision passer we want him to be yet. So I would lean towards LB or OL at this point if moves are to be made. 

• Like (+1) 2