Week 8 Bills (-1.5) vs Eagles

YoloinOhio

5 hours ago, Talley56 said:

If the Eagles play us like they played the Packers it’s going to be tough.  If they play us like they’ve played pretty much every other game this year I would expect us to win.

That's why you have the common phrase "on any given Sunday."   Eagles beat them at GB. 

Browns beat Ravens in Baltimore.  There are no gimmees in this league....

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Now I happen to think that Jackson may in fact work out for Baltimore over the long run.  He may be the convention busting QB of this generation.  I'm being open minded here.  But I have no doubt that Allen would have been crucified on 2BD if he had Jackson's passing & rushing numbers from yesterday.

I think Jackson is playing well, better than I would have thought.  However, i am of the ilk who think that a running QB is simply not the way to go long term. When you look at the 2018 QB draft class it is really hard to determine right now who will still be playing at a high level in 10 years. Darnold should be one of them IMO, not sure about the rest.  

Edited by Seven-N-Nine

10 hours ago, dubs said:

What that just one of those weird camera angles where it looks like the ball was right next to the receiver but in reality it was not?  A depth perception thing or something?  

I don’t know, otherwise that was a terrible effort. 

Yeah, it looks to me as though the ball is not only ahead of him, but off to his right.  But it's hard to tell.

2 minutes ago, Seven-N-Nine said:

I think Jackson is playing well, better than I would have thought.  However, i am of the ilk who think that a running QB is simply not the way to go long term. When you look at the 2018 QB draft class it is really hard to determine right now who will still be playing at a high level 10 years from now. Darnold should be one of them IMO, not sure about the rest.  

I'm not sure about Darnold either.  To many unknowns to look 10 years out but if I was forced I would say Allen & Darnold have the best shot at still being around and playing well in 10 years followed closely by Mayfield. 

Whether Jackson is truly going to change the NFL QB position is still to be decided.  Allen's running last year was just as impressive IMO but the Bills seemed to have broken him of that habit.  I will say that the ravens with Harbaugh & Roman as coaches will give Jackson the best opportunity to succeed. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Now I happen to think that Jackson may in fact work out for Baltimore over the long run.  He may be the convention busting QB of this generation.  I'm being open minded here.  But I have no doubt that Allen would have been crucified on 2BD if he had Jackson's passing & rushing numbers from yesterday.

Running QBs don't usually last too long in the NFL

Just now, CincyBillsFan said:

Whether Jackson is truly going to change the NFL QB position is still to be decided. 

I guess I am old enough that I have heard "he's the future of the NFL at the QB position" too many times to take it seriously anymore. Jackson has a willing participant in Harbaugh, if it wasn't for Jackson taking over for Joe Flaccid, Harbaugh would have been fired, so he owes it to him to just keep whatever they have going for as long as possible.  Jackson has impressed me though, he's what many of us wanted Tyrod to be.

1 minute ago, Pokebball said:

Running QBs don't usually last too long in the NFL

That's been true.  But Jackson has two things going for him:

*  the new NFL rules against targeting and the ability of QB's to slide to avoid the big hit.

*  Jackson's sheer speed & athleticism might be enough to keep him healthy for longer then most running QB's.

The issue with Allen versus Jackson and staying healthy IMO was always about Allen being so much bigger that he was tempted to run over guys and that's how you get lit up in the NFL.  Jackson isn't trying to do that.

1 minute ago, CincyBillsFan said:

That's been true.  But Jackson has two things going for him:

*  the new NFL rules against targeting and the ability of QB's to slide to avoid the big hit.

*  Jackson's sheer speed & athleticism might be enough to keep him healthy for longer then most running QB's.

The issue with Allen versus Jackson and staying healthy IMO was always about Allen being so much bigger that he was tempted to run over guys and that's how you get lit up in the NFL.  Jackson isn't trying to do that.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but once the QB takes off running, the rules protecting him are the same as the rules protecting a RB or WR I believe.  The life of a RB in the NFL is the shortest of any position, I think.

I totally get your point, that LJ can extend his NFL life be doing everything he can to protect himself from nasty hits.  But I still think a running QB will have a shorter shelf life.

Everyone raved about Vick and everyone raved about Kaepernick, and we know their shelf lives. Vick reinvented himself for a short time and perhaps Kaep would have too, but we’ve seen the “next big thing” at QB before. It doesn’t last. 

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Like it or not, the Bills and Dolphins are each others top rivals. It's just a fact of life.

No matter how putrid one of these teams might be, they will play each other tough.

Heck, the ORIGINAL worst team of all time....... the 1984 Bills, gave Marino and company a good game in Orchard Park on Monday Night.

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Seven-N-Nine said:

I think Jackson is playing well, better than I would have thought.  However, i am of the ilk who think that a running QB is simply not the way to go long term. When you look at the 2018 QB draft class it is really hard to determine right now who will still be playing at a high level in 10 years. Darnold should be one of them IMO, not sure about the rest.  

I think Allen and Darnold have the best chance of being around in 10yrs.  But who knows?

2 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

IMO Joe is spot on here.  This board would be swarming with folks saying that Allen can't be a long term franchise QB completing less then 50% of his passes no matter how many yards rushing he had. 

Also Bills fans would be pointing out that the Defense scored 14 of those 30 points and that Seattle likely wins if they didn't have two criminally negligent turnovers for TD's.

to be fair the Ravens could not catch a cold yesterday  Not saying Lamar was spot on but they dropped a ton of passes  The TE Edwards had 4 really bad drops by himself  That said Jackson is not exactly a pocket passer at this point in time

5 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Like it or not, the Bills and Dolphins are each others top rivals. It's just a fact of life.

Hmm, as a fan, I have to say I don't think of any AFCE team as a rival anymore due to the Bills being so bad for so long. To me a rivalry is teams duking it out each season jockeying for the best playoff seed.