Week 8 Bills (-1.5) vs Eagles

YoloinOhio

2 hours ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

Bills Open as 1.5-Point Favorites Over Eagles in Week 8, Spread Quickly Moves to a Pick

The challenge here is that bettors continue to be very forgiving to the Eagles, as they’re still viewed as a Super Bowl contender. Clearly, they have some issues as they’ve lost by 18 or more in back-to-back weeks, but the general perception is that this is a good team that’s underachieved.

Remember that the Bills might be 5-1 but the general feeling is that they’ve mostly beat up on bad competition. Their five wins have come against teams that are a combined 6-26. However, the Eagles have just three wins on the year, two of which have come against the Redskins and Jets.

I’m expecting this line to creep up and the Bills to close in the -1.5 to -2.5 range. So get them at a pick wile you can.

The only game I picked wrong  this year was the Pats' game, and that was because the Pats did not cover the spread. This is the game I don't bet at all (in addition to Pats).  My brain tells me this is the games the Bills' drop (and I refuse to bet against the Bills).  I'm not convinced we are as good as our record indicates, and Philly is a team with a ton of talent that, if they do not win this week, will be out of the playoff race.  I think they come out all engines firing. 

Edited by JoshAllenHasBigHands

my initial gut reaction early this morning was that the Eagles are a desperate wounded animal, they’re going to come in and throw for 350+ yards against our defense, right the ship defensively, and win in a blowout while the gaggle of Philthy fans who are sure to be in attendance laugh at us and throw batteries onto the field.

But when I think about it more... I believe we will actually show up prepared for this one and play like the 5-1 team we are. 

27-20 Bills.

Just now, dave mcbride said:

Passer rating is a poor way to evaluate Jackson right now. He played really well yesterday.

Again, if Josh Allen had that game yesterday, he'd be getting crucified.

The dude is what he is, and that's what everyone thought he was.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

No he wouldn't, because the Bills would have put up 30 points against a very good team in a very difficult place to play during a rainstorm.  Plus he would have rushed for 116 yards on 14 carries. Maybe some would have criticized him for "not playing like a QB," but that's a very limiting prism through which to evaluate a QB's overall contribution. Please explain your laugh remark too. Do you think Jackson played poorly? Did you watch the game? I did.

Allen played quite well yesterday himself, and really bounced back in the second half after a bad first half. 

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, dave mcbride said:

No he wouldn't, because the Bills would have put up 30 points against a very good team in a very difficult place to play during a rainstorm.  Plus he would have rushed for 116 yards on 14 carries. Maybe some would have criticized him for "not playing like a QB," but that's a very limiting prism through which to evaluate a QB's overall contribution.

Allen played quite well yesterday himself, and really bounced back in the second half after a bad first half. 

If he'd had a 50% passing day for under 200 yards and no passing td? yeah, he'd be flambee'd here.

I mean, you're entitled to think he's playing well as a QB, but having been around here as long as I have, MOST posters here would have a problem with that kind of performance from the QB position.

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, Joe in Winslow said:

If he'd had a 50% passing day for under 200 yards and no passing td? yeah, he'd be flambee'd here.

I mean, you're entitled to think he's playing well as a QB, but having been around here as long as I have, MOST posters here would have a problem with that kind of performance from the QB position.

The Ravens are 11-3 when he starts, and he has a QB rating of 89.9 plus nearly 1,300 yards rushing and 8 TDs in 14 games. 

At some point, the preconceived narrative has to shift in the face of actual evidence that cuts against it.

• Like (+1) 4

5 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

For crying out loud, I've been hearing how passer rating is the best way to rate a QB for weeks on here. Now, Allen has a great one and its near meaningless. SMDH

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

For crying out loud, I've been hearing how passer rating is the best way to rate a QB for weeks on here. Now, Allen has a great one and its near meaningless. SMDH

Who here actually said that? I certainly didn't. Read what I wrote (and I'm the only one who brought this issue up, and related it specifically to Jackson). 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

Exactly.

Lamar gets kid gloves treatment here for his play AS A QB, while doing things that people decry Allen for, when Allen has arguably FAR less to work with.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Who here actually said that? I certainly didn't. Read what I wrote (and I'm the only one who brought this issue up, and related it specifically to Jackson). 

Feelings of guilt, why so defensive, not aimed at you. You know darn well what the narrative has been about Allen on this site, from many posters.

Edited by D. L. Hot-Flamethrower

1 minute ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

Feelings of guilt, why so defensive, not aimed at you. You know darn well what the narrative has been about Allen on this site, from many posters.

I don't really pay attention to them, to be honest. Bear in mind that I have been on this site for years beating the drum that the traditional team passer rating differential is the most accurate predictor of success (outside of points scored differential!) that exists. 

15 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

No he wouldn't, because the Bills would have put up 30 points against a very good team in a very difficult place to play during a rainstorm.  Plus he would have rushed for 116 yards on 14 carries. Maybe some would have criticized him for "not playing like a QB," but that's a very limiting prism through which to evaluate a QB's overall contribution. Please explain your laugh remark too. Do you think Jackson played poorly? Did you watch the game? I did.

30 points, with 14 coming off of defensive TDS.

• Like (+1) 1

we might be catching the eagles at a good time. I know they just lost two big games and SHOULD come out angry and hungry. But they are bickering among themselves, are a disaster in their back 7 on D, and can be had. We need some pressure to get home against Wentz and lock up their TEs, bracket coverage, slam them at the line, etc....A little adversity early on and they might just fold it up or actually fight each other on the sidelines.

Lots of reports of the WRs being not happy with Wentz, the offense hates the defense, players are late or missing meetings with no punishment. Bad times in Philly, hopefully we come out strong out of the gate.