James Lofton Calls Out Knox on Drop

Gugny

29 minutes ago, Gugny said:

First - James Lofton is a terrible announcer; like Rex Ryan terrible.  Holy cow.  He almost made me hit the Booger (mute) Button.

But I write this thread to point out how, after dropping a well-thrown pass, Knox was accused of thinking about what he was going to do next after he caught it.

That was fine.  But then Lofton elaborated.  He accused Knox of, instead of securing the ball and taking it into the end zone, thinking about the dance/TD celebration he'd been practicing all week.

He seemed to have poured it on a little heavy and it got my attention.

Was he just using attempted humor to cover up how badly he sucks at his job?  Or is he really this much of a dick?

I rather listen to him then collinsworth.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, cd1 said:

Here...

He rolled through the sack tight to his feet. That is a lot of man going very fast, that is real momentum, not get off my lawn sack dancing.  In fact it looked to me like he was looking down to see if the ball was free.

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, Tenhigh said:

He rolled through the sack tight to his feet. That is a lot of man going very fast, that is real momentum, not get off my lawn sack dancing.  In fact it looked to me like he was looking down to see if the ball was free.

Yes exactly. He immediately got up to see where the ball was and 2-3 seconds go by before he does any celebration. Fitz had covered the ball back up quickly. The ball was in a place that Phillips could not see it and he had rolled too far away to cover it up. The celebration as well was not some dance “look at me thing” either. He was pumping his hands up and down to get the crown even more energized. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, r00tabaga said:

Watch again lady. Fumbled, then recovered, THEN Phillips reacts with excitement. Ive watched it numerous times, as have others who thought the same thing at 1st too.

I haven’t watched it again but IIRC the player to get mad about in this play is Murphy. I want to say he was celebrating when the ball was still on the ground 

Looks like Phillips sacked Fitz and got up off/away from him as quick as possible to avoid getting a "putting all your weight on him" BS penalty.  Then he saw the ball came out and reacted.  Then he danced. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

First - James Lofton is a terrible announcer; like Rex Ryan terrible.  Holy cow.  He almost made me hit the Booger (mute) Button.

But I write this thread to point out how, after dropping a well-thrown pass, Knox was accused of thinking about what he was going to do next after he caught it.

That was fine.  But then Lofton elaborated.  He accused Knox of, instead of securing the ball and taking it into the end zone, thinking about the dance/TD celebration he'd been practicing all week.

He seemed to have poured it on a little heavy and it got my attention.

Was he just using attempted humor to cover up how badly he sucks at his job?  Or is he really this much of a dick?

You are really that much of a dick.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, chris heff said:

I like Lofton, he was right about Knox looking to run before securing the ball. Lofton was also right that Brown looked back to soon on deep ball.

I was watching the Ravens game and their TE did the same thing a couple of times. It happens a lot in the NFL, guys pressing to make a big play instead of securing the catch first.

Edited by Seven-N-Nine
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Seven-N-Nine said:

I was watching the Ravens game and their TE did the same thing a couple of times. It happens a lot in the NFL, guys pressing to make a big play instead of securing the catch first.

Yes it happens.  Same thing with an outfielder trying to throw someone out at the plate on a fly ball.  Start looking away just too soon in an attempt to save time.  It happens anywhere on the field.  It was worse in this situation because it happened near the goal line.

13 minutes ago, Seven-N-Nine said:

3 minutes ago, Greybeard said:

Yes it happens.  Same thing with an outfielder trying to throw someone out at the plate on a fly ball.  Start looking away just too soon in an attempt to save time.  It happens anywhere on the field.  It was worse in this situation because it happened near the goal line.

Exactly my point.  It does happen all the time.  I'm sure Knox would like to have that play (the whole game, really) back.

But to come out and say that it's because he was thinking about the TD dance he's been practicing all week ... to me ... that's Bush League.

I actually think Booger is great at what he does. He is one of the most knowledgeable commentators and instantly breaks down plays in a way the common fan understand and learn, His voice and talking style may not be the most attractive or pleasant to listen to but what he is saying is on point and better than most others.

1 hour ago, Tenhigh said:

Murphy comes in dancing while the ball is still on the ground, only to realize and reach too late.

also, that was a hell of a play by Phillips. Just amazing.

as for the Lofton conversation, I think he was just making a joke. Knox deserved to get slammed for that drop, it was horrid.

I didn’t mind Lofton, but I did hate whoever the play-by-play guy was. I was driving home from a family reunion and listening to the game via my Sunday ticket app (thought about watching while driving, but decided life is worth living) and boy was it hard to keep up with what was going on. Rarely did they ever mention what down it was, where the ball was, how far the line to gain was, what the formation was, etc. 

I get that it’s not radio, but it seemed worse than normal.