Joe B Observations on Bills win over Phins

2 hours ago, Dan said:

I don't completely disagree. It would definitely be nice to see them win more convincingly against certain teams.   I'm not convinced McD has that killer instinct, but I do think we have to acknowledge that the offensive side of the ball is really in year 1 of the rebuild.  

They very clearly focused on the defense, allowing the offense to languish for a couple years.  This past offseason they finally addressed it with a complete makeover of players.  That's why I tend to be a bit forgiving  with their mistakes and miscues through the first 6 games playing together. 

I dont think we really know how serious of a playoff team they're going to be yet.  It does appear that we'll get our chance this year.  Hopefully, the coaches and players will learn quite a bit between now and then.  At that point I'll feel more comfortable talking about them as a playoff team. At this point, I think they're still learning how to win in the regular season. Fortunately they're figuring that out, the blowout losses at least appear to be gone.  Next, perhaps they start to blow teams out in wins. 

I'm not sure where the narrative emerged about this being year 1 of the offensive rebuild.  When a team tears down the roster as Buffalo did, the entire team is being rebuilt.  In McD's case, he chose to take on the defense first and has continued that each year since becoming HC. 

Yes, they added several pieces on one side of the ball, but given the short contract terms, many of those guys aren't going to be around for more than this season.  For that reason, it's not a rebuild but more of stop-gap measures until they can draft a suitable replacement. 

As to the coaching, McD and Daboll have been around and aren't new.  Same with Frazier and several position coaches.  If they've gotta be learning this late into their career it's an issue. 

10 hours ago, Dan said:

I think the issue now is for a seemingly large number of posters here is this team is in a no win situation.   It they win.. as they've done all but once this seasons..  they didn't win by enough, Allen didn't throw for 300 yds, something. But the win just wasn't good enough.  If they lose to the likes of Philly/NE; then it's a a see they're not good enough to compete with the top teams.  If they lose to the Dolphins/Redskins, well they just suck.

I guess my point is the Bills, although not perfect, are finding ways to win. They're learning, getting better.  And there's a tone of room for upside.   I'm not saying they'll be the class of the league for the next decade.  But they are doing way better than we've seen in nearly 2 decades. 

I dont think any intelligent fan would pragmatically say they expect perfection.  We all knew where they would be last year, but for the most part the plugged the holes they needed to.  If you look any deeper than just the W you should be concerned we were tested by the worst team in football history, at home, after a bye week.  Outside of the defense I havent seen us be a noticably better team than anyone we've played so far.  And that should be concerning

• Like (+1) 2

i think that 1st half smackdown from the fish will leave a bad taste in the players' mouths and should serve us well hosting the eagles.....unless of course frazier thinks he can just rush4. obviously lorax wasn't too happy with the 1st half defensive calls. he was very open about that on the radio.

9 hours ago, BillsMafia13 said:

I dont think any intelligent fan would pragmatically say they expect perfection.  We all knew where they would be last year, but for the most part the plugged the holes they needed to.  If you look any deeper than just the W you should be concerned we were tested by the worst team in football history, at home, after a bye week.  Outside of the defense I havent seen us be a noticably better team than anyone we've played so far.  And that should be concerning

I think that needing a show of 14 plus points on top of what the opponent has is being somewhat melodramatic.  I remember a number of "bad" teams including the mid-1980's Bills being in quite a number of their games for a sizable portion of each game.  Often what separates a good team from a bad one is not a dozen players but perhaps 4-6 players and yardage differential not 100-150 yards but often 100 yards or less.  Personnel and yardage are far ranging goals to address but often penalties and turnovers can be fixable short term and go from a L to a W.  I think all the talk of a NFL team not being able to beat a college squad which I have heard going back to those mid-1980's Bills teams is often taken too literally.