Joe B Observations on Bills win over Phins

52 minutes ago, Dan said:

I have to agree with you.  The boos were kinda odd to hear.  I think the expectations were/are too high.  Although we're in year 3 of the rebuild, we're in year 1 of the offensive rebuild.  Other than Allen and Dawkins the entire starting offense is new.  It should be expected that continuity will be a problem and mistakes will be made.  

This team is 5-1.  And unlike other fast starts, the way they're winning is sustainable.  These aren't fluke wins.  Its not the other team having bad days.  Its the Bills playing for a full 60minutes ans making the plays they have to, at the times they have to.  It's overcoming the bad officiating, the stupid penalities, the bad mistakes.   This team won't finish the season 15-1, but they're playing solid football and winning games that past teams would have easily lost.   

I agree; we should all be enjoying it. This team is heading in the right direction.   They're not perfect by any means, but they're doing what it takes to win.  I'll take that for now.  And continue to watch this team develop and grow together.

Gotta disagree, not to be that guy but I am concerned and the picture is bigger than just 5-1.  2 games were definitley aided by the other teams kickers, we should have lost the jets and titans games but got lucky.  The giants game we barely pulled that out too, yesterday we just squeaked by possibly the worst team in history.  

Its like the bills play to the level of thier competition for 3.5 quarters then turn it on if thier losing. They seem too reactionary and not in control enough. 

2 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

Dont sugar coat it, Levi was getting toasted. WR's using their size? C'mon dude, he's the reason they didn't bother throwing on Tre's side. He's not a man corner.

I’m not sugar coating it. He still gave up catches but it’s very similar to when Tre has his “bad” game. 
With Tre is was because we were in zone. With Levi it’s because we played man. 
We have no idea what the defensive assignments were with the exception of a few twitter accounts that are saying what something looks like. 

I stand by my original argument.  Levi was right there in every pass but the deep ball. How do we know that he wasn’t told to keep everything in front of him and let Fitzpatrick make the mistake. 

We don’t have enough information to make a snap judgment with a simple statement like “Levi was getting toasted”

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

The good Fitzy is a pretty darn good QB. The bad Fitzy is more bad than the good Fitzy is good. The good Fitzy doesn't usually show up more than half the time, but he did today. 

Agreed.  We've all seen it when Fitz is "on" and he was certainly motivated today.  Even the pick wasn't a terrible throw, although I've seen it described as "wobbly" in a couple of places.  Tre just made an All-Pro play.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Bob in STL said:

I find it hard to believe that in year 3 of the total rebuild the local sportswriters and a large portion of the fans are now compelled to complain about “ugly wins”.    Booing the team at halftime?   Seems a bit New Englandy or New Yorkish.  

We are 5-1 and Jason Wolf of the Buffalo News writes an article on Ugly wins.  Who is he?   

Wins are wins in the NFL.  This team is still a work in progress.  Miami played hard, credit the opponent.  

Expecting to beat teams by 3TDs is not realistic, we are not a juggernaut, we are not an experienced playoff team.  We are an upstart team on the rise. 

Lets enjoy it.  

Yes! A work in progress forming an identity! The Bills are just scratching the surface.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

1. Shame on anyone who boo'd the team at halftime. So embarrassing. I know on the national radio show I listen to, it was very poorly received. 

Sorry but no I booed and they deserved it. Against one of the two worst teams in football the entire team was a tire fire that took until the 4th quarter to get fixed. Expectations are higher and if you play better it isn’t a problem. But their first half play was straight up embarrassing especially considering the opponent. No one was asking for 55-10 but the game should’ve been over at halftime not trailing to freakin Miami

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, corta765 said:

Sorry but no I booed and they deserved it. Against one of the two worst teams in football the entire team was a tire fire that took until the 4th quarter to get fixed. Expectations are higher and if you play better it isn’t a problem. But their first half play was straight up embarrassing especially considering the opponent. No one was asking for 55-10 but the game should’ve been over at halftime not trailing to freakin Miami

Maybe, but I do know Billsmafia looks like a joke to the outside world. That may not matter to you, and that would be fair, but I find it super embarrassing. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Well, I think it would have been reasonable to expect that the Bills would not have been the team to give up the most points to the Dolphins so far, and the most total yards in Offense.  It's a team that is scoring 8 ppg so far. Other than the Skins, every other team nearly shut them out---and this is a Dolphins team with most of their talent traded or injured.

They let Miami stay in the game until under the 2 minute warning.   It's OK to expect it never should have been a contest---as it wasn't for Baltimore, NE, Dallas, Chargers......

there are surprises every week in the NFL and Fitz brought a level of play to the Dolphins that they did not have in previous weeks.  Hopefully the Bills learned something about preparation for games, ALL games.

Edited by Bob in STL
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Maybe, but I do know Billsmafia looks like a joke to the outside world. That may not matter to you, and that would be fair, but I find it super embarrassing. 

We look like a joke for the antics we do not booing a crappy first half 

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Well, I think it would have been reasonable to expect that the Bills would not have been the team to give up the most points to the Dolphins so far, and the most total yards in Offense.  It's a team that is scoring 8 ppg so far. Other than the Skins, every other team nearly shut them out---and this is a Dolphins team with most of their talent traded or injured.

They let Miami stay in the game until under the 2 minute warning.   It's OK to expect it never should have been a contest---as it wasn't for Baltimore, NE, Dallas, Chargers......

If Josh Rosen had played QB for the Dolphins instead of Fitz, the Bills would have rolled over the Fins.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, wvbillsfan said:

I’m not sugar coating it. He still gave up catches but it’s very similar to when Tre has his “bad” game. 
With Tre is was because we were in zone. With Levi it’s because we played man. 
We have no idea what the defensive assignments were with the exception of a few twitter accounts that are saying what something looks like. 

I stand by my original argument.  Levi was right there in every pass but the deep ball. How do we know that he wasn’t told to keep everything in front of him and let Fitzpatrick make the mistake. 

We don’t have enough information to make a snap judgment with a simple statement like “Levi was getting toasted”

I like Levi, I do. Not having Milano patrol the hash marks protecting against the quick slants really hurt Wallace. He's not physical enough to be a man corner nor is he being asked to be one. He's very good on a zone system working in sync with others, we all know this to be true. M. Alexander is not Milano.  Miami forced him to be on an island and unfortunately he was voted off.

11 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Ravens demolished the Fitzy Fins 59-10

Week 1 after they just traded Tunsil and Stills rearranging their offense. The Ravens also rolled out an offensive scheme that wasn’t on tape yet, which is why it’s generally wise to take week 1 results with a grain of salt. Fitzmagic or Fitztragic plays a role as well. 

That said, this team has been playing to the level of competition every week. It’s concerning, but it’s the hallmark of young and/ inexperienced teams. It was something I expected going into the season (didn’t see 5-1 coming), but it needs to get rectified as that’s the difference between good teams and great teams. 

32 minutes ago, Dr. K said:

Point taken. But I can't imagine Rosen would have played the gutsy, risk-taking game Fitz did. 

No Fitz played a great game.  My point was that he was leading a team decimated by trades and inuries.  Lots of JAGs---and he kept it close until under 2 minutes. 

10 minutes ago, Buffalo Junction said:

Week 1 after they just traded Tunsil and Stills rearranging their offense. The Ravens also rolled out an offensive scheme that wasn’t on tape yet, which is why it’s generally wise to take week 1 results with a grain of salt. Fitzmagic or Fitztragic plays a role as well. 

That said, this team has been playing to the level of competition every week. It’s concerning, but it’s the hallmark of young and/ inexperienced teams. It was something I expected going into the season (didn’t see 5-1 coming), but it needs to get rectified as that’s the difference between good teams and great teams. 

Those 2 are long gone and not replaced still.

I might be the only one here.... But Id liketo see Vincent Taylor activated off the PS.  I just feel Peko is a McD guy but I just don't see him doing much. 

Taylor is more athletic and stronger IMO, quicker too.  I'd just like to see him get a shot.

52 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Those 2 are long gone and not replaced still.

I’m aware of that. My point was that trading arguably their two best offensive players the week of game 1 likely influenced that teams performance. It definitely incited trade demands from other players, tanking talk, etc. Expecting that team to give top effort immediately afterwards is a stretch at the least. 

I’m not saying the Dolphins are a good team, and I’m not saying the Bills played well yesterday. I’m simply stating that the week 1 Fitz start isn’t indicative of how they’re going to play with Fitz starting from here on out. As a whole that team looked apathetic and lost week 1. The dolphins team we saw yesterday came out punching, and didn’t get put in it’s place until the 4th quarter. 

2 hours ago, corta765 said:

giphy.gif

lol   

It is a divisional rival.  All the games are (supposed to be) tough.

Believe it or not Fitz IS their best chance to win.   (usually as long as he has a lead and doesn't have to force things) 

Edited by SlimShady'sGhost