A Few Thoughts about the Dolphins Game, in no particular order

Virgil

I too am concerned with the designed Allen runs. I have to wonder at this point if they think the best play comes from josh when he’s running and gunning. Ya know best way to get him pumped up and in the game after ripping a run and getting hit. 
And I really like Jordan Phillips and he makes some impact plays, but it’s really concerning that some of these big plays are immediately followed by something incredibly dumb. Famous saying is what? Act like you’ve been there before. In the end though, we are off to a near perfect start and primed to make a playoff push and be a scary team to play for some of the favorites. 

4 minutes ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

Yep.  Except for the secondary, the entire defense was flat today.  And against a weak O-line and a quarterback who gets the ball away quickly , why weren't we blitzing?

I was yelling for some blitzes. Definitely missed Milano out there today next to tremaine 

• Like (+1) 2

I too did not like the play calling from Daboll in the first half. Stop trying to be so clever and use our strengths.

Why was Singletary used so sparingly?

I don't like the designed QB running plays either. Particularly the draw plays up the middle. I'm fine with the QB sweep, because Allen has blockers in front of him.

I re-watched the play of Jordan Phillips' sack and he did not get up to celebrate. Looked like he was trying to find the ball and was unaware that Fitzy had recovered it.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

good write up! pretty much what i saw point for point as well.

what is going on with singletary and this system? id say they are holding him back due to the hammy but its been exactly how they use him this season...sparingly. overall i thought we had success running then go straight to a empty set? if you want identity it def pass first sprinkle in a bit of run to change it up. and 1 of the sprinkles is motor. am i wrong? we ran alot to kill clock so cant tell by attempts.

im with you Phillips strip sack...rolls over the ball sitting on it..then forgets that its there? strange play but guy is hitting a different gear and it will be hard to not offer a extention but he wont want depth money.

really hoping knox gets it together. its been a long time since we had a game changing te. hes in the right places at the right time and has to finish the play. jugs machine is your friend.

lets be honest. we have played alot of bad teams and have had to climb out of a self inflicted hole in alot of these games. allen said they were rusty coming out. if we are going to compete against some of the better teams we have to look prepared and play that way all game. but the big bright spot was allen didnt hand a turnover to them and the defense did not have to play lights out to save the O while they stalled out. they both struggled and both turned it around when they had to. happy with the W regardless.

tre white. the guy was a great draft selection! every game he proves it.

Edited by Buffarukus
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BringBackOrton said:

We call lots of QB runs because Allen is a great runner and a big guy, and one of the best running QB’s in the NFL and his passing is much worse comparatively to his peers.

Singletary and Gore are great runners also, how about giving them 14 to 15 carries each? 

7 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

I too did not like the play calling from Daboll in the first half. Stop trying to be so clever and use our strengths.

Why was Singletary used so sparingly?

I don't like the designed QB running plays either. Particularly the draw plays up the middle. I'm fine with the QB sweep, because Allen has blockers in front of him.

I re-watched the play of Jordan Phillips' sack and he did not get up to celebrate. Looked like he was trying to find the ball and was unaware that Fitzy had recovered it.

really? i was telling my girlfriend phillips is so big he cant feel the ball cause it looked like he sat on it a sec. i dont remember him even looking for the ball cause he stood right up after. ill see if i can find a replay because i thought the same thing. 

• Haha (+1) 1

I am pleasantly surprised so far but I just can't shake the feeling that we will be a one and done wild card team. Until we can put the Patriots in the rear view mirror and win the division the Bills aren't going anywhere. I just don't think we are there yet.

As much as we all love Allen's big arm, this offense is built to grind it down the field 5-6 yards at a time. The 3rd and 5 bomb (that was 20 yards overthrown, not 5 yards) was just stupid in that situation. I'm to the point that you let Allen try a deep ball ONLY on 1st down, 2nd and very short, or anytime we are up or down very big in the second half. Drive killers...

2 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

Yep. A quirk if the schedule that the Bills faced NE, then TEN and MIA that obviously have connections to NE and roots in that system. They’ve struggles with it, but not sure say Schwartz is gonna deviate from his wide 9 and put that in. Lots of coaches are married to their systems , including the Bills coaches. 

If Schwartz decides to run a wide nine against the Bills, Josh Allen should have 150 rushing yards. The lanes for a mobile QB against that particular defensive alignment are massive.

I agree with all of your points, Virgil. I would add 1 more. I think we get too conservative at the end of games. I realize they are concerned about all the turnovers that Josh Allen has, though he has been getting better. That last 3rd down should have been a pass. I mean, if it's not wide open, then fine. Throw it away. Don't try to squeeze it in when protecting a slim lead with less than 5 minutes to go. Still, we nearly always get stuffed into a 3 and out when we do that and it hurts us. Luckily it hasn't cost us a game to this point.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

Yeah, there’s some variation. The roots for their Ds  are in the Belichick system though. I agree it’s troubling , and teams are going to continue to send blitzes until they handle it. Not sure if theyre going to have players standing up around the line, but they won’t be afraid to blitz. It’s a major problem on offense right now. 

I think when they do that milling around business on D you have to think out of the box, who cares whose rushing or who isn't - you just direct snap to your running back, tell your o-line to blast anyone standing, and let those guys milling around become the confused ones.

That's my simple solution - may not work, but I cannot help but picture defensive players getting knocked around like bowling pins because they are not in any kind of stance with leverage.

3 hours ago, Virgil said:

I think half the penalties were BS honestly.  I didn’t see a lot of poor discipline by the Bills

After 6 games the 2019 buffalo Bills are 12th worst in the NFL in penalties. 1975 plays, 51 against for 412 yards...57 flags!  This means there are 20 teams better at not inducing a flag. 

8.5 penalties a game is piss poor discipline. I realize that this is a relatively new group of O linemen. But this stuff can't happen against good teams or they will dig themselves a huge hole. 

Granted, the Bills don't play a team with a winning record until the Cowboys game 11/28. With the defense as good as it is this team should be blowing out scrub teams like they face in the next five games. With two weeks to prepare this Dolphins game was almost an embarrassing loss save for the defense getting 2x turnovers in the second half and special teams scoring a TD. 

The offense must fix the penalties, the late incoming play calls. The Bills fans were booing the Bills off the field in the first half for a real reason. 

This was a GOOD team win... Offense scored twice with no giveaways... Defense was solid with a fumble recovery and interception against a skilled former Bills QB and highly motivated Dolphins team... and Special Teams came up big with three FGs and a TD.... 

Areas of concern??... Sure... but this was a GOOD team win... Wasn’t pretty and felt worse... but the Bills got it done... Bravo, Bills!!

• Like (+1) 2

I missed the game and just read the comments above; I can't believe it, how mush did we lose by?

Lofton said it on the broadcast, "the Bills fans are getting greedy." . . . as in, you know how we are so used to winning all the time.

Three things that most bothered me:

1) Yes, like all of you, I was quite frustrated with the first half. As Virgil said in point one, the play-calling was questionable. That 3rd and 1 play-action slant, come on!

2) But what was most frustrating was the Defense--all day long. The two play sequence of the Phillips sack (I don't think he knew the ball was out) and Tre's interception changed the game. Without them, we lose.

3) Penalties, we seem to kill ourselves with them. Time to get that cleaned up. But then again, this has been there since traning camp--remember the articles about running a lap???

Okay, no more greediness, back to perspective: I'll take 5-1 at this point of the season. "Just win baby!"

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I was watching at a Bills Backers bar, but was so disgusted I left at halftime.  I then listened on Sirius, and almost went back.

We had better clean up these mistakes or were never beating the Cowboys, Ravens and forget the Pats.  As bad as Philly played last night, I’m not even sure we’ll beat them.

1 hour ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Arguably the most horrifically bad team in the 100 year history of the nfl imposed its will on the Bills in the Bills’ house.

”Any given Sunday” doesn’t apply here.

”WTF” does.

That Dolphins team is nowhere near the 1976-1977 Buccaneers. Not even close to the worst in history. There have been many worse. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

That Dolphins team is nowhere near the 1976-1977 Buccaneers. Not even close to the worst in history. There have been many worse. 

See the word "Arguably".

...and considering how they handled the Bills yesterday, probably true.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts