What is a sack?

cage

I guess I don't understand why Ed Oliver was credited for a sack on the Dolphins first drive?  Fitz did a backward's pass to, I believe Wilson, who feigned like he was going to throw for a moment and then tucked the ball and tried to run.  Seems like a tackle for a loss rather than a sack.  Wilson wasn't the QB either.  I don't think I've ever seen a sack credited against a non-QB.

Second, neither the NFL.com nor CBS sports site are crediting Jordan Phillips for sacking Fitz where he actually caused a fumble that Fitzpatrick recovered.  He's credited with a forced fumble, but not a sack?

Edited by cage

I'll show you what a sack looks like.

Hold my beer while I take a photo. 

Just a word of warning... it's really hot and humid right now in Rarotonga, where I'm currently on holiday.

This ain't gonna look pretty. 

Edited by Bad Things
Stupidity
  • Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 7

7 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

If a QB pulls down a pass attempt and gets tackled, is it not a sack? On that play the RB becomes a QB. Thus a sack.

If a QB catches a batted pass or gets a throwback after a pitchout or backwards pass, then he gets credited with a reception.  If he's tackled behind the LOS, its a completed pass with a loss of yardage, a negative pass play,... not a sack.  

3 minutes ago, cage said:

If a QB catches a batted pass or gets a throwback after a pitchout or backwards pass, then he gets credited with a reception.  If he's tackled behind the LOS, its a completed pass with a loss of yardage, a negative pass play,... not a sack.  

A backward pass is a lateral.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, cage said:

Checked Foxsports.com as well and he's not credited for a sack

Then it’s a pretty good bet that it won’t go in the books as a sack. Thought it was odd myself, but usually the ball gets thrown on those kinds of plays. 

Look between your legs, no behind that...

Edited by Don Otreply
  • Haha (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, cage said:

Because he is throwing it forward, hence a pass. The fact it got batted backwards doesn't matter. The sack that Oliver got would not be a reception for the receiver because it was a lateral, but when he attempted to pass it became a pass.  

• Like (+1) 1

It’s an odd quirk. I don’t know the official rule but wouldn’t be shocked if it gets reclassified later

a sweep for a loss is a TFL but if the runner holds the ball differently at some point before crossing the line it’s a sack? Though I guess a wild cat play is a TFL not a sack so I guess the person taking the snap isn’t defining. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, NoSaint said:

It’s an odd quirk. I don’t know the official rule but wouldn’t be shocked if it gets reclassified later

a sweep for a loss is a TFL but if the runner holds the ball differently at some point before crossing the line it’s a sack? Though I guess a wild cat play is a TFL not a sack so I guess the person taking the snap isn’t defining. 

He attempted a pass. It was not a run fake. He was trying to throw a pass.

1 minute ago, NoSaint said:

Exactly!  Which is what prompted the topic...

2 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

It's somewhat of a subjective call but that was clearly an attempt to pass today. 100%. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Because he is throwing it forward, hence a pass. The fact it got batted backwards doesn't matter. The sack that Oliver got would not be a reception for the receiver because it was a lateral, but when he attempted to pass it became a pass.  

Rules are hard.  LOL.

• Haha (+1) 2

1: a usually rectangular-shaped bag (as of paper, burlap, or canvas)

2: the amount contained in a sackespecially  : a fixed amount of a commodity used as a unit of measure

3a: a woman's loose-fitting dress

b: a short usually loose-fitting coat for women and children

c: SACQUE sense 2

4: DISMISSALgave him the sack

5a: HAMMOCK, BUNK

b: BED

6: a base in baseball

7: an instance of sacking the quarterback in football