The Defense is good, can we agree they are not all time great....

9 minutes ago, Casey D said:

The defense played its worst game of the season yesterday, against a horrible offensive team.  IMO D performed even further below expectations yesterday than the offense.  Having said that, they won, and any broad pronouncements about the D (or O) from that game is myopic.  It would have been nice to win easy yesterday, but a win is a win.  There are no style points in a win against a team like Miami.  I am looking forward to Philly, who are struggling but are still a good team.  Let's see what happens.

Yeah, at the end of the day it's a division game and no matter how bad a team is, divisional games can be weird.  I still remember how the dreadful Patriot teams used to give the SB Bills era teams a run for their money some games and even actually win a few of them.  Sometimes the Bills would blow them out, but In 1989, the Bills lost 33-24 to them. In 1990, the Bills played a mostly blah game against them to win 14-0 when they came into the game 8-1. In 1991, the 3-8 Patriots handed the 10-1 Bills a 16-13 loss, 3 weeks after the Bills barely scraped by them with a 22-17 win.  In 1992, the Bills played another blah game and won 16-7.

Point is there is no such thing as a "gimme" game against a divisional opponent. The games often times are much harder than you think going into them no matter how bad the other team is or how good your team is.  And I'm sure coming off the bye didn't help...it looked like the team was sleep walking for much of the 1st half.

Edited by matter2003

The defense had an off day yesterday, coming off the bye against an opponent that the whole team obviously didn't take very seriously.  We've seen nothing this season to make us think that this was anything other than an aberration.  I'm not worried about the defense at all.

2 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

It's the fact that the Fins offense has looked horrible all year until today that has people on edge about how good our defense really is.  I just think they had a great game plan with an experienced quarterback who gets hot at times and we came out flat after the bye week.  There's also the memories of us starting out hot only to go 2-8 or something like that down the stretch.  This defense pry had its worst game they'll have all season and we still won.  I'm not overly concerned.

Except that the Phins offense has previously shown signs of life.  Last week 4q for example.  That was classic Fitzmagic and this game was too.

13 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

As were the Monsters of the Midway or the 2000 Ravens and the Bills can not win every game 17-13?

Today we saw Miami almost beat them and if not for a bad Int at the goal line (and subsequent 98 yard drive) and a bad fumble the Bills again play to their competition.

This trying to control the clock and game between the 20's is a dangerous recipe and the Bills need to know how to score in the high 20's.

A win is a win.

I don't think many folks here, if any, were crowning this defense as an all-time great one. They're playing very well, though. Top of the league in a number of defensive categories, have yet to allow more than 17 points in a game. Everyone knows one of Fitz's strength's is getting the ball out fast, big part of the reason the OL's he had during his time here looked a little better than they were. 

Miami plays hard. They're not just gonna roll over and let teams beat 'em up and down the field. Is the team a mess? Yeah, they have a rag-tag roster of second and third string guys playing but those guys are gonna play their tails off because they wanna prove that they can hang in this league. You're not gonna get any players that are gonna buy into tanking a season because players aren't gonna go out there and put their bodies on the line just to lose so the franchise can get higher draft picks that will be brought in to take these guys' jobs. I think Jordan Phillips said it after the game, Phins play hard, but things tend to unravel for them in the second half. 

And you sure can win games 17-13, or 21-14, or 16-13, a W is a W. 

I think Levi Wallace was exposed a bit.  He's a smart and technically sound CB, but physically he's limited.  He has some length, but he's not real fast and he's not real physical.  Yesterday Miami's 6'5" receiver had his way with Wallace.  Ryan Fitzpatrick got hot and was putting the ball on the money and there didn't seem to be much Wallace could do about it even though he was in position.  If Buffalo is looking to upgrade their defense in the offseason, that's one spot where they could look.

The point is that McDermott and many on this board have been going gaga over this Defense that played superb vs. NE & has played also against some of the worst teams in the NFL (particularly on offense).

Yes the reason for the thread was too many here were trumpeting the Defense as so good that all the offense needs to do is put up 14-20 points a game (and no turnovers) and the Bills are "Golden".

Sorry the offensive game calling and mindset should be 30 points+/game.

7 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Its not really silly. Yes they were built for who they played against at the time. Thats the whole point...those big LBs meant to stop the run would have a lot of problems trying to cover people...

Just like saying today's defenses would have had issue playing the 70s Steelers teams that were built to run it down your throats a lot of times...today's defenses are designed to stop the pass.

The rule changes in the league have a lot to do with how the teams play.

When people talk about comparing two teams from different eras I will always say "under what rules".

Edited by ColoradoBills
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

The rule changes in the league have a lot to do with how the teams play.

When people talk about comparing two teams from different eras I will always say "under what rules".

That is a totally valid point as well.

• Thank you (+1) 1