The Defense is good, can we agree they are not all time great....

The point was, when anyone here laments about the offensive scheme & play calling, some here went on about just how good the D is and that 17-13 works for them.

The Bills have had just a ridiculously good schedule to date and certainly taken advantage of it, but they need to understand that at the end of the day this is an offensive league and need more then 17 points most weeks (today they needed at least 22).  

5 hours ago, klos63 said:

I don't know. Is it someone's fault or are we just in year 3 of the build up and not quite there yet?

How many years do you want?  Most rebuilds these days after 3 years a team is in the SB if they are going to be any good. Allen is supposed to show he has it, then next season he is supposed to be great, then you have to start paying all theses guys and the band is broken up.

Just now, Billsfan1972 said:

The point was, when anyone here laments about the offensive scheme & play calling, some here went on about just how good the D is and that 17-13 works for them.

The Bills have had just a ridiculously good schedule to date and certainly taken advantage of it, but they need to understand that at the end of the day this is an offensive league and need more then 17 points most weeks (today they needed at least 22).  

Most ppl are ignoring the teams they have beaten are all pretty much garbage.

9 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Yep. I hate the conservative nature of the team, but that’s all McDermott.

it's like they refuse to dial up pressure. gave fitz all day to carve us up. it's like we have the rick dennison of defense. i hope mcd shakes this 1990 crap up.

against that oline, we can't get to fitz? pathetic. frazier and his 1985 philosophy ....

9 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

So do I, but it’s just not in their defensive philosophy. An elite DE outdoor obviously help the rush and it’s their main weakness , as well as LB depth. 

an elite de means nothing when double teamed. rushing 4 and being out numbered means no pass rush. it's pretty simple...except to frazier.

4 minutes ago, Sundancer said:

Comes up all time. You beat who you beat. 

I understand their schedule is their schedule, but perspective is needed.  Would the Bills have gone into Seattle and beaten the Seahawks yesterday like the Ravens did?  I'm not so confident in that.

11 minutes ago, Seven-N-Nine said:

I understand their schedule is their schedule, but perspective is needed.  Would the Bills have gone into Seattle and beaten the Seahawks yesterday like the Ravens did?  I'm not so confident in that.

Rain, two defensive scores and a different narrative on Lamar Jackson who had great running #'s, but passing was almost all due to 2 long throws.  

But the media loves him & 9-20 & 143 yards is perfectly acceptable.  

The Bills move the ball, they just seem incapable of piling up big yards and yes I want to see that 300+ yard passing game.

1 minute ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Rain, two defensive scores and a different narrative on Lamar Jackson who had great running #'s, but passing was almost all due to 2 long throws.  

But the media loves him & 9-20 & 143 yards is perfectly acceptable.  

The Bills move the ball, they just seem incapable of piling up big yards and yes I want to see that 300+ yard passing game.

If Allen would have found a way to beat NE and not give the ball away so much, I'd feel better about this teams chances against better competition. Theoretically the next game was supposed to be that better competition measuring stick, but the Eagles right now are not so great...

My take on the defense was that first and foremost , they don't have a backup player for Milano who is an exceptional linebacker in pass coverage... especially on tight ends, It's hard to find a guy like that.

I also felt like Levi Wallace was the victim of the refs not calling offensive pass interference a few times. It appeared to me that Miami fully intended to match up a big , strong wr vs Wallace since he's a tall, thin guy.  He was often pushed away on the receivers first break and couldn't recover. I think we will see this strategy vs Levi the rest of the year.

He just needs a little more muscle , ( physicality) moving forward. Miami game planned those two things in my opinion and were successful.

The way the NFL is now you're not going to get a defense that dominates week in week out. Even the Pats will end up having a few games where they let up a lot of yards. With everything being designed around the pass and with the tough rules now it just isn't going to happen. 

I get that it was the Phins and not the chiefs but still, the these games will happen here and there. That's why it's so important to have and offense that can score regularly now

1 hour ago, DefenseWins said:

So let me get this straight. We are now criticizing this team because their defense is not "all time great"? Some of us are unhappy because we are only 5-1? Have we somehow forgotten about the "good old days" [sarcasm ON] when this team was truly pathetic and out of the playoff picture entirely by this point in the season? We finally have a front office and coaching staff that has made this team relevant once again and some of us have to nitpick everything that is not "perfect"? Get over it people!

Its like they totally forgot the last 20 years and 40 point losses ??‍♂️

57 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

it's like they refuse to dial up pressure. gave fitz all day to carve us up. it's like we have the rick dennison of defense. i hope mcd shakes this 1990 crap up.

against that oline, we can't get to fitz? pathetic. frazier and his 1985 philosophy ....

Agree that we didn't blitz enough.

He was getting ball out quick so it might not have helped. Probably would've hurt us actually. 

10 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

As were the Monsters of the Midway or the 2000 Ravens and the Bills can not win every game 17-13?

Today we saw Miami almost beat them and if not for a bad Int at the goal line (and subsequent 98 yard drive) and a bad fumble the Bills again play to their competition.

This trying to control the clock and game between the 20's is a dangerous recipe and the Bills need to know how to score in the high 20's.

Sounds like you're implying that the "bad Int" and the "bad fumble" were gifts handed to the Bills by the Dolphins, versus created by one TreDavious White.

If the defense has been stout all season and the offense has looked and felt incomplete all season, what would be your evidence that the Bills have been playing to their competition?

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, thronethinker said:

In todays NFL with the current rules the 85 Bears and 00 Ravens wouldn’t compare to their former selves if they were to take the field now. 

The 85 Bears would not do as well today...the West Coast Offense is what ultimately led to the 46 defense's demise...they would be good today but not dominant as the spread, quick passing games and RPO's would lead to a lot of problems.

1 minute ago, matter2003 said:

The 85 Bears would not do as well today...the West Coast Offense is what ultimately led to the 46 defense's demise...they would be good today but not dominant as the spread, quick passing games and RPO's would lead to a lot of problems.

That's silly. They dominated who was on the field at the time. You can't ever swap teams from other eras. The '85 Bears D was maybe the best of all time. 

Criticizing them is like saying Kelly was not a good QB because his completion % is low by today's standards. 

3 minutes ago, Sundancer said:

That's silly. They dominated who was on the field at the time. You can't ever swap teams from other eras. The '85 Bears D was maybe the best of all time. 

Criticizing them is like saying Kelly was not a good QB because his completion % is low by today's standards. 

Its not really silly. Yes they were built for who they played against at the time. Thats the whole point...those big LBs meant to stop the run would have a lot of problems trying to cover people...

Just like saying today's defenses would have had issue playing the 70s Steelers teams that were built to run it down your throats a lot of times...today's defenses are designed to stop the pass.

Edited by matter2003

3 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Its not really silly. Yes they were built for who they played against at the time. Thats the whole point...those big LBs meant to stop the run would have a lot of problems trying to cover people...

Just like saying today's defenses would have had issue playing the 70s Steelers teams that were built to run it down your throats a lot of times...today's defenses are designed to stop the pass.

If my aunt had a penis, she'd be my uncle.*

*saying no longer works but you get the point

The defense played its worst game of the season yesterday, against a horrible offensive team.  IMO D performed even further below expectations yesterday than the offense.  Having said that, they won, and any broad pronouncements about the D (or O) from that game is myopic.  It would have been nice to win easy yesterday, but a win is a win.  There are no style points in a win against a team like Miami.  I am looking forward to Philly, who are struggling but are still a good team.  Let's see what happens.

• Like (+1) 1