The Defense is good, can we agree they are not all time great....

7 minutes ago, klos63 said:

i don't totally agree with you, but McD really hasn't had the offensive personnel to go for the KO punch. We probably haven't been in the lead late in the game that often until this season.

I'm not saying the Bills have to do something exotic with a surmountable lead late in the game, so I see your point about not having the personnel (and experience) at this point.  I don't think that they should just go into a shell and try to run the clock out, which doesn't work with draws up the middle.  Why not run offensive plays that have been working up until that point?  Run quick passes/screens, misdirections to McKenzie, Gore/Singletary outside the line, etc.  I'm not suggesting 30 yard attempts (that Allen grossly misses) like they curiously ran on 3rd and 5 earlier in the game.  Go with what has worked is all.

13 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Who’s fault is that in regards to lacking offensive personnel?

Do we need to go back through the recitation of how many offensive holes were plugged plus depth added in one of the busier offseasons I can ever recall for this team? And the need for that was ultimately the Ryan/Whaley regime saddling us with unfriendly contracts and underperforming talent that needed to be replaced in a comprehensive manner. But what do I know, I’m just a fan like everyone else, trying to enjoy being 5-1 and not focus on our first-world problems too much :) 

2 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

As were the Monsters of the Midway or the 2000 Ravens and the Bills can not win every game 17-13?

Today we saw Miami almost beat them and if not for a bad Int at the goal line (and subsequent 98 yard drive) and a bad fumble the Bills again play to their competition.

This trying to control the clock and game between the 20's is a dangerous recipe and the Bills need to know how to score in the high 20's.

Dude, I haven’t heard anyone trying to say the Bills D is “all time great”.  That is the conversation about the Patriots D

5 minutes ago, Locomark said:

I really didn’t like our run defense today. Big chunks up the middle is not a good thing. Too many 2nd and longs turning into 3rd and short after long runs.

Yeah, that was surprising.  Someone in the game day thread mentioned a number of those runs were Edmunds' gaps that he did not cover for whatever reason.  If true, Edmunds is still trying to acclimate to NFL run defense.

Edited by Happy Gilmore

Just now, Happy Gilmore said:

Yeah, that was surprising.  Someone in the thread mentioned a number of those runs were Edmunds' gaps that he did not cover for whatever reason.  If true, Edmunds is still trying to acclimate to NFL run defense.

They’ll get LBs fixed.  I worry more about teams using our gap shooting DLs against us.

They REALLY missed Milano today...I mean REALLY missed him...That has me concerned a little...

But the whole team looked hungover for the 1st 2 1/2 quarters...I was really strange...

I hope this was a wake-up call today because, at times, they were getting pushed around and Miami was doing what they wanted to do WAY too often...In rhythm...

We'll see if this was just bye week rust soon enough...?

2 hours ago, Teddy KGB said:

Who called them the 85 bears or 00 Ravens btw ?  ??????

2 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Many were calling them the best in the 2019 NFL (or top 3)......

How does "top 3 in 2019" equate to "all time great" in a league that's a hundred years old?

Nobody ever called them all-time great... If somebody did then they're wrong, I feel like the argument has been best in the league right now.

Secondary is the best in the league. Hands down. They're fantastic.

Linebackers are average with potential - a healthy Milano and the Edmunds before this week are a solid future.

Dline is average/above average. I love Jordan Phillips. Oliver is already beasting. I love Hughes but he's never going to get you 12 sacks. Lawson is alright, solid rotational depth. They need another serious pass rusher to put everything over the top, but this defense is average in the worst spots and top of the league in the best. It's a great defense.

Edited by Nelius
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, klos63 said:

I don't know. Is it someone's fault or are we just in year 3 of the build up and not quite there yet?

@klos63 in all fairness, I think it must be acknowledged they've muffed on a number of their offensive acquisitions and picks - Zay Jones, the trades for Jordan Matthews and Kelvin Benjamin, the trade for Corey Coleman, the Bodine and Ducasse signings.  They brought in a bunch of players and until this year, they kind of struck out.  Of course Allen is the big Questionmark hanging over their tenure.  If he continues to develop, it will pull the rest of the offense forward.  If he doesn't ..... well.

So let me get this straight. We are now criticizing this team because their defense is not "all time great"? Some of us are unhappy because we are only 5-1? Have we somehow forgotten about the "good old days" [sarcasm ON] when this team was truly pathetic and out of the playoff picture entirely by this point in the season? We finally have a front office and coaching staff that has made this team relevant once again and some of us have to nitpick everything that is not "perfect"? Get over it people!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, DefenseWins said:

So let me get this straight. We are now criticizing this team because their defense is not "all time great"? Some of us are unhappy because we are only 5-1? Have we somehow forgotten about the "good old days" [sarcasm ON] when this team was truly pathetic and out of the playoff picture entirely by this point in the season? We finally have a front office and coaching staff that has made this team relevant once again and some of us have to nitpick everything that is not "perfect"? Get over it people!

Again, Bills fans not the most knowledgeable, or in possession of intestinal fortitude.

45 minutes ago, DefenseWins said:

It's the fact that the Fins offense has looked horrible all year until today that has people on edge about how good our defense really is.  I just think they had a great game plan with an experienced quarterback who gets hot at times and we came out flat after the bye week.  There's also the memories of us starting out hot only to go 2-8 or something like that down the stretch.  This defense pry had its worst game they'll have all season and we still won.  I'm not overly concerned.

• Like (+1) 1