The Defense is good, can we agree they are not all time great....

45 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

The Monsters of the Midway or the 2000 Ravens and the Bills can not win every game 17-13?

Today we saw Miami almost beat them and if not for a bad Int at the goal line (and subsequent 98 yard drive) and a bad fumble the Bills again play to their competition.

This trying to control the clock and game between the 20's is a dangerous recipe and the Bills need to know how to score in the high 20's.

Was that the score today?

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

You are correct but does anyone have real depth anymore? I hope Milano is back next week

I'd feel better if at least one of the backups was a guy who had played some LB in the league or something but Stanford and Maurice Alexander are career special teamers and Thompson is a UDFA from last year who is probably following that same path.

Small nitpick for sure, but it would be nice to have one guy at the position you knew could step in and play.

Simply not enough short fields. They make stops more than your average bend but don't break defense. Which makes the yards per game stat look good. But just forcing punts isn't good enough.  Need more turnovers, sacks, and occasionally score some points by the defense. How did Baltimore win in Seattle? Defense scored two touchdowns.  I know that is not the norm, but Jets were beating Bills for most of the game due in no small part to a pick 6.

I wouldn't mind seeing a few more first downs being given up a game if thet can get a few turnovers early that lead to points.

2 minutes ago, JM57 said:

I'd feel better if at least one of the backups was a guy who had played some LB in the league or something but Stanford and Maurice Alexander are career special teamers and Thompson is a UDFA from last year who is probably following that same path.

Small nitpick for sure, but it would be nice to have one guy at the position you knew could step in and play.

As a bills fan I am thrilled all our starters across the defense are actually talented vs our many years of 8 talented and 3 hacks- so don't get greedy.?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Billsfan1972 said:

As were the Monsters of the Midway or the 2000 Ravens and the Bills can not win every game 17-13?

Today we saw Miami almost beat them and if not for a bad Int at the goal line (and subsequent 98 yard drive) and a bad fumble the Bills again play to their competition.

This trying to control the clock and game between the 20's is a dangerous recipe and the Bills need to know how to score in the high 20's.

Can we agree that the game has also changed since that time because the nfl wants more pints more ezcitement

5 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

No it wasn’t. It was a perfectly executed ST play to take advantage of our ST unit being out of position.

Just like Micah Hyde took advantage of large gaps he saw open in the Dolphin kickoff line.  How often does Micah Hyde's TD happen?  How often does a blocked punt for a TD happen?  Not often and is usually attributed to a gross error/freak play.

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

Can we agree that the game has also changed since that time because the nfl wants more pints more ezcitement

Looks like you've had a couple of pints...lol

Our defense is excellent in this years NFL.  Doesn’t matter where they rank historically.  

PS:  We were missing one of our best defense players today in Milano.   

PPS:   Vaunted Bears defense was lit up by Saints team with no Brees or Kamara.  

It’s the NFL, guys are paid to score on the defense too.  So I’m not worried a fired up Fitz got some scores on us.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Just like Micah Hyde took advantage of large gaps he saw open in the Dolphin kickoff line.  How often does Micah Hyde's TD happen?  How often does a blocked punt for a TD happen?  Not often and is usually attributed to a gross error/freak play.

Looks like you've had a couple of pints...lol

True

doesnt make me wrong

Miami had scored 42 points prior to today & seemed pretty competent on Offense (on the road no less) against a Defense that had some here going on and on about as the best in the league.

Many were calling them the best in the 2019 NFL (or top 3)......

And McDermott coaches the Offense as if they are and can win every game 14-10..

So do you think they only try to score 2 TD's a game? I think we threw 3 deep passes today, we connect on those and that's 21 points.

and if not for a bad Int at the goal line (and subsequent 98 yard drive) and a bad fumble...

So, these things are credited to the defense or not? Or are you saying the defense got lucky and it wasn't their talent that resulted in these game changing plays?

Hey everyone, if not for the defense holding the other four teams we've beat to fewer points than us and making plays that mattered, we'd be 0-6. Man they suck making all those lucky stops. What a bunch of posers. I want them to get INTs and force fumbles only when it doesn't matter and we're up by 3 scores. Then we'll know they're a legit D!

10 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

True

doesnt make me wrong

I agree with you.  The NFL has gone off the deep end with trying to stress offenses, superstar QBs, rules over protecting the offensive player, etc.  Defense has nearly become an afterthought; it's being played only because it is one of the three phases of the game.

21 minutes ago, klos63 said:

So do you think they only try to score 2 TD's a game? I think we threw 3 deep passes today, we connect on those and that's 21 points.

McD sits on leads too much.  He doesn't always go for the KO punch.  In the 4th quarter, nursing a 10 point lead, he ran three running plays through the middle of the line (and punted) rather than trying to get a 1st down and add more points when there theoretically was enough time for Miami to get back into the game.  Miami scored a TD to bring the lead to 3.  We were fortunate that Hyde recovered the on sides kick and scored to put a dagger in Miami.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I think he’s a conservative, defensive minded HC.

Guy likes to sit on leads and let his defense finish games. 

18 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

McD sits on leads too much.  He doesn't always go for the KO punch.  In the 4th quarter, nursing a 10 point lead, he ran three running plays through the middle of the line (and punted) rather than trying to get a 1st down and add more points when there theoretically was enough time for Miami to get back into the game.  Miami scored a TD to bring the lead to 3.  We were fortunate that Hyde recovered the on sides kick and scored to put a dagger in Miami.

i don't totally agree with you, but McD really hasn't had the offensive personnel to go for the KO punch. We probably haven't been in the lead late in the game that often until this season.

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Yep. I hate the conservative nature of the team, but that’s all McDermott.

Is there a team you love more? Are you mad we are not 6-0, or that we are 5-1 and should have won by more?  Not being snarky, but we just see things differently. I’m happy to win, will see where we need to be better, and hope for the best going forward. At 5-1 you will not get anything that sounds like complaining from me. I will admit to what we do wrong and where we missed, but I’m not “hating”. For the most part, this is working! (And a year ahead of schedule in my mind, but with a fortunate schedule.) 

BTW - Is that conservative nature part of launching all those long balls? Because I wish we would cut that by half, at least. We need to get better at it to justify doing it so often.