When is Allen going to have "that game", and do you care?

Process

I dont care about stats. I want to see wins and I want to see the Bills put away some teams early in the 4th. We are getting the wins but they are uneasy feelings almost the whole game.  The offense still needs a couple more pieces before we see dominant performances. We also need the offense to stop taking so many penalties and dropping passes. Allen needs to fix his long ball because it is ugly. 

Classic thread of excuses and blind homerism. I want this kid to succeed. But he leaves a lot to be desired. The problem on this board is no one wants to consider context. They want to view Allen in a vacuum, ignoring all other QBs and examples as they make excuse after excuse and say "next week" or blame play calling. Play calling is based on the OC, HC and Allen's input so they are plays he needs to execute. He's troublingly indecisive. He had multiple plays today he made where he waited and waited to throw a ball when he should have done so immediately and instead wanted the WR "more open" than he was. His deep ball is atrocious. He's regressed there and teams shouldn't even worry about being beaten over the top. 

I like the better completion percentage. I like the leadership. I like the attitude. The mental side of the game is where he's bad.

And the context issue that everyone here misses is hilarious. Watch other younger QBs, the great ones were great from the get go. No one rises slowly and becomes an All-Pro or Super Bowl winner. The rise is immediate and meteoric. This is a slow burn.

1 hour ago, Process said:

That game where he shows he is able to light up a defense with his arm? Where it looks like he can be a true franchise QB? Where he shows that even though he will make mistakes as young qb, he is capable of going up against a guy like Rodgers or Brees or Mahomes and keep up with them in a shootout? I'm talking about a game with 300+ yards and 3+ TDs....

Right now wins are all that matters. But I do care and I do want to see it, because to be able to compete in the playoffs we are going to need a QB that can win and take over a game with his arm. 

Baker Mayfield had a 4TD game last year and has had several games with 300+ passing yards

Daniel Jones had 300+ yards in his first career start

Kyle Murray, a rookie on one of the worst teams in the NFL, has 3 300+ yard games in the first half of the year

Lamar Jackson went for 300+ and 5TDs against the Dolphins

Most thought this would be the week but it wasn't, so when? Next week is an even better opportunity. The Eagles have the worst secondary in the NFL, they get lit up every single week. They also have one of the best run defenses, which should force us to throw the ball. If Allen can't put up numbers against them it's hard to see when it will happen. 

He already had it week 17 of 2018 where he put up 5 TDs and embarrassed the Dolphins.  

8 minutes ago, zonabb said:

Classic thread of excuses and blind homerism. I want this kid to succeed. But he leaves a lot to be desired. The problem on this board is no one wants to consider context. They want to view Allen in a vacuum, ignoring all other QBs and examples as they make excuse after excuse and say "next week" or blame play calling. Play calling is based on the OC, HC and Allen's input so they are plays he needs to execute. He's troublingly indecisive. He had multiple plays today he made where he waited and waited to throw a ball when he should have done so immediately and instead wanted the WR "more open" than he was. His deep ball is atrocious. He's regressed there and teams shouldn't even worry about being beaten over the top. 

I like the better completion percentage. I like the leadership. I like the attitude. The mental side of the game is where he's bad.

And the context issue that everyone here misses is hilarious. Watch other younger QBs, the great ones were great from the get go. No one rises slowly and becomes an All-Pro or Super Bowl winner. The rise is immediate and meteoric. This is a slow burn.

There is so much wrong with this bolder text right here that I don’t even know if it’s worth discussing.

Have some Young QBs had immediate success?  Yes.  BUT:  Plenty started with struggles, mediocre stats, etc before growing into the position and dominant players.  And few have had as many clutch drives as Josh has. 

Ever hear of Drew Brees?  How about Kurt Warner? How about Ben Roethlisberger?  How about Steve Young?  How about Peyton Manning?  I mean I could go on and on, but I don’t think it’s really necessary.  This bolded comment was utterly absurd.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 4

Yeah, I’d love for Josh Allen to pass for 300+ yards and move the offense at will with his arm. If it hasn’t happened by the time they have to pick up his fifth year option it will be concerning. Until then, I’ll be satisfied if he just QBs them to wins. 

He may or may not hit 300 this year. But it's encouraging to see his ypg and comp % go up, while cutting down on the bad plays. I think in year 3, he will continue to build upon his improvements and will hit 300 three or four times at least. But it could be next week, if he can hit on one or two of those deep balls.

Allen absolutely needs “that game” to happen because QB’s who don’t have “that game” end up almost always sucking.

And I’m not talking statistics. I don’t care about 298 yards or 300 yards. I care about a great game, start to finish. Good decisions that lead to freak INT’s are still good decisions. Allen need to have a game that says, “we can hang with or beat anybody if he plays like this.” Every QB worth a damn has had a game like that. If Allen never has tha game, his chances of being franchise are zero.

2 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

Allen absolutely needs “that game” to happen because QB’s who don’t have “that game” end up almost always sucking.

And I’m not talking statistics. I don’t care about 298 yards or 300 yards. I care about a great game, start to finish. Good decisions that lead to freak INT’s are still good decisions. Allen need to have a game that says, “we can hang with or beat anybody if he plays like this.” Every QB worth a damn has had a game like that. If Allen never has tha game, his chances of being franchise are zero.

Well yeah, never is a long time. Allen will not be given until never to do this ( barring an unbelievable winning %). He will be gone long before that, but it’s still too soon and no long term decision is imminent by the Bills FO. 

3 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Well yeah, never is a long time. Allen will not be given until never to do this ( barring an unbelievable winning %). He will be gone long before that, but it’s still too soon and no long term decision is imminent by the Bills FO. 

I would say most QB’s who turn out to be good have that game by the end of year two.

46 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Since you ask.  Tebow’s best year (2nd with Den): 46.5% completions, 6.3 ypa, 123.5 ypg passing.  Completion % and ypg not sufficient QBing

7-4 as a starter with 5 4th quarter comebacks and 5 game winning drives that year. That’s all that matters apparently. I wonder why he was switched to a TE the next year and is now playing baseball in the minor leagues. Ugly or not, all he did was win as a QB!

Edited by Bangarang
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, BringBackOrton said:

I would say most QB’s who turn out to be good have that game by the end of year two.

Interesting. I’m going to bet that the Bills don’t make a long term decision on Allen by then. Probably 5th year option at minimum unless things really go south. 

1 hour ago, Process said:

That game where he shows he is able to light up a defense with his arm? Where it looks like he can be a true franchise QB? Where he shows that even though he will make mistakes as young qb, he is capable of going up against a guy like Rodgers or Brees or Mahomes and keep up with them in a shootout? I'm talking about a game with 300+ yards and 3+ TDs....

Right now wins are all that matters. But I do care and I do want to see it, because to be able to compete in the playoffs we are going to need a QB that can win and take over a game with his arm. 

Baker Mayfield had a 4TD game last year and has had several games with 300+ passing yards

Daniel Jones had 300+ yards in his first career start

Kyle Murray, a rookie on one of the worst teams in the NFL, has 3 300+ yard games in the first half of the year

Lamar Jackson went for 300+ and 5TDs against the Dolphins

Most thought this would be the week but it wasn't, so when? Next week is an even better opportunity. The Eagles have the worst secondary in the NFL, they get lit up every single week. They also have one of the best run defenses, which should force us to throw the ball. If Allen can't put up numbers against them it's hard to see when it will happen. 

JA will have his breakout game when he learns how to connect on the deep ball...

2 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Interesting. I’m going to bet that the Bills don’t make a long term decision on Allen by then. Probably 5th year option at minimum unless things really go south. 

If Allen isn’t good enough to get a monster extension by his 4th year then I really hope we start looking at a replacement. 

Edited by Bangarang

1 minute ago, Bangarang said:

If Allen isn’t good enough to get a monster extension by his 4th year then I really hope we start looking at a replacement. 

That’s a realistic possibility. Although, a look around the league would probably say it’s not likely. How many ( first round) guys get an extension before playing on their 5th year option ? 

4 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

We pulled the plug on EJ long before then. 

If the plan is to gear up a great team with a good QB on a cheap rookie deal, waiting until year 5 isn’t an option.

26 minutes ago, zonabb said:

I don't disagree with most of this but my optimistic side hopes he is developing like another raw prospect with elite arm strength.  Notice the bump in stats after his first two seasons.

Screenshot 2019-10-20 at 10.18.35 PM.png