When is Allen going to have "that game", and do you care?

Process

Just now, Process said:

We are playing garbage teams. I would argue that if Allen isn't able to put up big passing numbers, in the playoffs we won't be in positions to win games or come back in the 4Q. That's fair, no?

Tennessee defense is not garbage, neither is Jets. 

21 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

No i don't need him to. Just figure out ways to do enough to win. He simply is a winner. And that is enough for me.

and in games that require an elite passing attack it would be nice to know we have that in our repertoire. I don’t mind what week it happens in but  it’d be reassuring to see it 

• Like (+1) 3

Allen said it in his press conference. At this point they are playing complementary football and haven’t needed him to throw the ball 40+ times. 

Prior to this week (not sure how that stat looked after today) the Bills have also passed the ball second most in the league in situations where it’s not an obvious pass or run (ie trying to come from behind or icing the game). So it’s not like they are just playing run run pass like years past. 

That being said, I do think at some point we’re going to have to see him dominate a game from start to finish and put up big numbers in the air. But for now, I’m happy with the wins!

1 minute ago, Augie said:

You ARE an OOMPA LOOMPA! This comes off as greedy.....or lonely. Are you lonely? 

We’re 5-1. He threw for 2 TD’s, ran in a 2 pt conversion, and had no turnovers.

But - “I want a 300 yd game. I’m not happy. I’m not satisfied. Allen needs to throw for 4 TD’s like Baker!”  Blah blah blah. Sounds greedy to me. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Jets and Titans are good defenses. Bengals aren't bad either.

Via DVOA (just because there are so many def metrics) 

NYJ- 16- Average 

NYG- 23- Below average to bad.

CIN- 31- Terrible

NE-1- Great 

TEN- 10- Pretty Good but not great 

BUF- 3- Great

Edited by Mango
Re order for team played

I absolutely care and I’m starting to get really frustrated with him. He’s turning into a glorified game manager. He was drafted to be a play maker yet is anything but and is missing his deep passes all the time. He needs to have a true breakout game otherwise I’m fine with them spending a pick mid round on a QB 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, smuvtalker said:

Honestly, if it weren't for Knox drop and several penalties, that game could've been today....

Much of this was self-inflicted, and correctable. We could have had 21 instead of 9. We had too many penalties, and dropped some big plays (yes, Knox, I’m talking about you!). We played poorly, yet won, and I’m good with the win. We have to keep getting better. I think we will, but we are going to lose some games. Try not to panic when that happens. OR....to “that crowd”....try not to rejoice too much with the “I told you so’s!”.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, BringBackFergy said:

We’re 5-1. He threw for 2 TD’s, ran in a 2 pt conversion, and had no turnovers.

But - “I want a 300 yd game. I’m not happy. I’m not satisfied. Allen needs to throw for 4 TD’s like Baker!”  Blah blah blah. Sounds greedy to me. 

So...you’re NOT lonely? 

OK, then I’m all in!  ?

29 minutes ago, Process said:

That game where he shows he is able to light up a defense with his arm? Where it looks like he can be a true franchise QB? Where he shows that even though he will make mistakes as young qb, he is capable of going up against a guy like Rodgers or Brees or Mahomes and keep up with them in a shootout? I'm talking about a game with 300+ yards and 3+ TDs....

Right now wins are all that matters. But I do care and I do want to see it, because to be able to compete in the playoffs we are going to need a QB that can win and take over a game with his arm. 

Baker Mayfield had a 4TD game last year and has had several games with 300+ passing yards

Daniel Jones had 300+ yards in his first career start

Kyle Murray, a rookie on one of the worst teams in the NFL, has 3 300+ yard games in the first half of the year

Lamar Jackson went for 300+ and 5TDs against the Dolphins

Most thought this would be the week but it wasn't, so when? Next week is an even better opportunity. The Eagles have the worst secondary in the NFL, they get lit up every single week. They also have one of the best run defenses, which should force us to throw the ball. If Allen can't put up numbers against them it's hard to see when it will happen. 

It will be hard to do without him getting a high quality WR opposite John Brown.    This WR corps is not hard to cover well enough to make Allen struggle.   I would hope that Beane saw all he needed in the first half to officially KNOW  how badly this team needs an elite playmaking outside WR.    

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, billsfan714 said:

Because my football brain tells me we beat the Dolphins, Jets, Eli-Giants,  and BengalsTitans, not exactly the upper echelon of the NFL

Soft schedule to this point for sure. But why worry about it? We’re 5-1. 

Are we winning the SB this year? Most likely not. But neither are 30 other teams. All I care about is that the “process” seems to be working. 

Our defense sucked today and let up 21 points. To a ***** team. They clearly took the day off.  But when it mattered, they showed up. They beat a team they should have. 

Lets just enjoy the ride. Win a wild card game this year and then who knows. 

3 minutes ago, corta765 said:

I absolutely care and I’m starting to get really frustrated with him. He’s turning into a glorified game manager. He was drafted to be a play maker yet is anything but and is missing his deep passes all the time. He needs to have a true breakout game otherwise I’m fine with them spending a pick mid round on a QB 

That's primarily on the coaching staff not Allen.

31 minutes ago, Process said:

That game where he shows he is able to light up a defense with his arm? Where it looks like he can be a true franchise QB? Where he shows that even though he will make mistakes as young qb, he is capable of going up against a guy like Rodgers or Brees or Mahomes and keep up with them in a shootout? I'm talking about a game with 300+ yards and 3+ TDs....

Right now wins are all that matters. But I do care and I do want to see it, because to be able to compete in the playoffs we are going to need a QB that can win and take over a game with his arm. 

Baker Mayfield had a 4TD game last year and has had several games with 300+ passing yards

Daniel Jones had 300+ yards in his first career start

Kyle Murray, a rookie on one of the worst teams in the NFL, has 3 300+ yard games in the first half of the year

Lamar Jackson went for 300+ and 5TDs against the Dolphins

Most thought this would be the week but it wasn't, so when? Next week is an even better opportunity. The Eagles have the worst secondary in the NFL, they get lit up every single week. They also have one of the best run defenses, which should force us to throw the ball. If Allen can't put up numbers against them it's hard to see when it will happen. 

Perhaps when we are playing a team where Josh has to keep up in a shootout, we will see whether or not he can

I struggle to understand the fan fixation on “3 TD and 300 yards”.  As others have said, often when a game is a shootout, it’s needed in an attempt to compensate for miscues (turnovers, fumbles) or for poor defense.    Those games often come when the team is getting its butt whupped and is trying to get back in it.  They come with increased risk. 

I don’t want to see the miscues (turnover, fumbles) and if the defense is doing its D thang, why would you want to see the Bills take unneeded risks just to - I don’t know, titillate your fan libido or something?

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I can care less as long as he keeps getting us Ws.

He played a phenomenal 2nd half and wasn't bad in the 1st , we just couldn't punch it in the end zone. 0 turnovers last 2 games too. He's progressing imo. And you can't count him out of any game. 

10-7 as a starter. Probably 11-6 if not injured at Hou

Edited by JerseyBills

3 minutes ago, corta765 said:

A "game manager" doesn't take his team on a 98 yard drive to take the lead in the 4th quarter. 

I don't think we have the horses to gain 300 yards through the air.  I watch a lot of NFL games and though we've improved our skill positions from last year how anyone can look at our current stable of RB's, TE's & WR's and think we should be regularly gaining 300 yards passing is beyond me.  I believe that in the 2nd half of the season guys like Knox, Singleterry and Kroft will step up and we may see more explosiveness in the passing game.  But right now we aren't built for 300 yard passing games.

I also believe that 300 yard passing games are overrated.  I see a lot of guys put up 300+ passing yards while losing the game.  My guess is Allen's first 300 yard game may come in one in which we're down 3 TD's late and he puts up 150 cheap yards against prevent defenses. 

What sets Allen apart is his clutch play in the 4th quarter in contested games.  He is clutch which is far more valuable then a 300 yard game.  In time he will learn to play like this for a whole game and then if we need him to throw for 350 yards he will. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I guess I do kind of want to see that monster game, but also do not care that much if we are winning.

If we do have a good lead, I don't see this staff putting the petal to the metal. It will be run, run, screen (or another play behind the line of scrimmage that cannot be an incomplete pass that stops the clock) and punt to assure good field position for our defense. Milking everything they can out of the clock. That is the way they coach the game and likely what fans are going to see if we get a lead.

The only time Allen will have a game like that is if our defense completely craps the bed and he has to ball like crazy to try to play catch up. That is an "iffy" proposition at this stage of his development. Folks may not want to hear it, but I think you start to see those games next year, but only if our defense is getting schooled and Allen takes the steps he needs to take.

A lot of "ifs"

• Like (+1) 1