When is Allen going to have "that game", and do you care?

Process

I think he's close honestly and could if we weren't trying to achieve balance on offense like some teams. You can see it when he hits these hot streaks where he's 9-10, 10-11, 12-14, and he's seeing the field out there. As long as we're winning with what we are doing I'm good. 

9 hours ago, Process said:

That game where he shows he is able to light up a defense with his arm? Where it looks like he can be a true franchise QB? Where he shows that even though he will make mistakes as young qb, he is capable of going up against a guy like Rodgers or Brees or Mahomes and keep up with them in a shootout? I'm talking about a game with 300+ yards and 3+ TDs....

Right now wins are all that matters. But I do care and I do want to see it, because to be able to compete in the playoffs we are going to need a QB that can win and take over a game with his arm. 

Baker Mayfield had a 4TD game last year and has had several games with 300+ passing yards

Daniel Jones had 300+ yards in his first career start

Kyle Murray, a rookie on one of the worst teams in the NFL, has 3 300+ yard games in the first half of the year

Lamar Jackson went for 300+ and 5TDs against the Dolphins

Most thought this would be the week but it wasn't, so when? Next week is an even better opportunity. The Eagles have the worst secondary in the NFL, they get lit up every single week. They also have one of the best run defenses, which should force us to throw the ball. If Allen can't put up numbers against them it's hard to see when it will happen. 

For a youngling you done right real good like.  We ain’t much for fancy book learnin’ around these parts.

Nice post, process, and it is frustrating.  Either it is my imagination playing tricks on me, but I thought I saw someone else during highlights last night that threw for 300 and I thought “him?”.

10 hours ago, Process said:

That game where he shows he is able to light up a defense with his arm? Where it looks like he can be a true franchise QB? Where he shows that even though he will make mistakes as young qb, he is capable of going up against a guy like Rodgers or Brees or Mahomes and keep up with them in a shootout? I'm talking about a game with 300+ yards and 3+ TDs....

Right now wins are all that matters. But I do care and I do want to see it, because to be able to compete in the playoffs we are going to need a QB that can win and take over a game with his arm. 

Baker Mayfield had a 4TD game last year and has had several games with 300+ passing yards

Kyle Murray, a rookie on one of the worst teams in the NFL, has 3 300+ yard games in the first half of the year

Most thought this would be the week but it wasn't, so when? Next week is an even better opportunity. The Eagles have the worst secondary in the NFL, they get lit up every single week. They also have one of the best run defenses, which should force us to throw the ball. If Allen can't put up numbers against them it's hard to see when it will happen. 

Dabol needs to put together a game plan that allows for this sort of game.  Not sure what the plan was for fins but should have been run heavy and lots of play action.  The line needs to provide better protection and the backs need to pick up blitz reads and stay in to block a blitzing CB.  

He has to start getting rid of the ball sooner and work on his long ball accuracy- especially when I am counting 5 seconds plus of a clean pocket! In Allens defense run the damn ball early and use some play action- the empty backfield allows the D to dial in on him. Allen had a bad first half but play calling did not help. 

With all that said good teams find a way to win...

5-1 Go Bills

12 hours ago, Process said:

At the end of the day, the only thing that matters is winning.

However... Bills fans need to realize that our Defense is NOT going to be capable of carrying this team for the next 10-15 years.  If we are extremely lucky, they will be a Top 5-10 unit most seasons and occasionally dominant for stretches.  But you can't count on a Defense to consistently carry a team into Super Bowl contention.  The best Defenses in NFL history were able to remain elite for 1-2 seasons before trailing off.  To be a long-term success, the Bills will need to have a QB playing consistently at a Top 10 level.  

So yes.  It absolutely matters that Josh Allen have a breakout game - proving he can dominate the opponent with his arm and carry the Offense to 35+ points.

With that said, I don't think Allen is TOTALLY to blame for his lack of breakout this season.  

The offense (as a whole) is struggling to complete drives, and struggling to stay in rhythm for an entire 4 quarters.  This has been a trend since the opening moments of the Jets game, when we drove 50-60 yards and fumbled on a sack-strip.  Strangely enough, this is not a Red Zone issue - as we are among the league's best at converting RZ trips into Touchdowns.  Our problem seems to be turnovers, penalties, sacks and drops - always stalling drives once we hit the opponent 30-40 yard line.  We also seem to go through extended stretches of 3-4 drives per game where our Offense is incapable of doing anything, before we suddenly get back into playing well.

Allen's stats have also suffered because of coaching preference and game situation.  Six games in, the Bills haven't really been forced into being aggressive.  The only exception being the 16 point deficit against the Jets (in which the Bills rolled-up 17 unanswered points in the 4th Quarter).  We haven't trailed significantly at any other point.  And where the majority of other teams go for the throat when they are playing well, our staff clearly gets into a conservative shell anytime we get into a double-digit lead.  You saw this in the Giants and Bengals games, and then again in the 4th Quarter yesterday.  They trust the Defense to hold strong, and start looking to run the clock down when up by two scores.  This isn't going to help Allen's passing stats.  

Bottom line... the glimpses of what we WANT/NEED our QB to be are very visible.  We see stretches of them almost every single week.  

Right now, I think Allen is trying to find the delicate balance of being aggressive enough to consistently score points... versus pushing the ball too much and causing multiple turnovers.  It can be very frustrating at times.  The good news?  Anytime we've needed Allen to step-up during crunch time, he's done it.  Don't forget he was driving us down for the go-ahead score against New England before the concussion.  Hopefully he will eventually put the pieces together and become more consistent.

Edited by mjt328

1 hour ago, TheElectricCompany said:

So many "what ifs...."  and excuses in this thread. 

I want to see it. 300 yards isn't even that high of a bar. Tim Tebow did it in his 2nd start!

In today's NFL, even losing QBs can end up with 300 yards and still have a bad game. Yesterday's game was a bit concerning for him and the offence as it should have been a game where they put up career stats, coming off a bye week against the league's worst team, yet they put up their usual stats and needed to come back to win

14 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

In today's NFL, even losing QBs can end up with 300 yards and still have a bad game. Yesterday's game was a bit concerning for him and the offence as it should have been a game where they put up career stats, coming off a bye week against the league's worst team, yet they put up their usual stats and needed to come back to win

I'd be interested in the 5 year W/L record for QBs who throw for 300+ yards and 0 TDs. 

A few weeks ago, Goff had a 500 yard game he lost, but I don't think his situation compares to Josh. He has plenty of monster games on his resume. 

We get some more cannon fodder opponents in November, lets see if he can make it happen. 

1 minute ago, NJKBillsfan said:

I think they are having him stay in the pocket and pass more this season.

Last year he ran a lot more which is where a lot of the offensive production came from.

I don’t know. I have seen him roll designed as well as escaping the pocket many times this season.

Edited by Binghamton Beast

5 minutes ago, NJKBillsfan said:

I think they are having him stay in the pocket and pass more this season.

Last year he ran a lot more which is where a lot of the offensive production came from.

So you're saying that when we ask our quarterback to throw the ball, we have problems.

When we let him run ad lib scramble plays, we have success.

Bill Belichick agrees with you.  

That's why he made Josh play like a quarterback and why he had such a horrible game against the Pats.