When is Allen going to have "that game", and do you care?

Process

2 minutes ago, MR8 said:

Lol yeah comparing a guy to a future HOFer I totally have an agenda lol...

That's neither what I said, nor, I think, a reasonable interpretation of what I said.  You complained because I objected to your lower end comparator but not your higher, and then generalized that.  This is what you said: " I'll be honest people on here love a good comparison butt jump on one that says he'll be bad... You didn't argue that he isn't Rodgers despite the insanely large disparity in this two at this point but rather chose to go after my bottom end comparison"

People respond to points that interest them.  To generalize to "people on here" and complain about points someone didn't argue - yeah, Agenda

2 minutes ago, MR8 said:

Funny how my comparison of what a guy could be AT WORST is "inept" when you don't even know the scouting on the guy I'm comparing to. 

Why should I know his pre-draft NFL scouting report?  I know what he did with the Bills.  I'm also not interested in debating about whether or not he got a "raw shake".  At that point we're getting theoretical - there isn't exactly a public record or stat of "how QB was treated by coaches".  You liked Losman and thought he got a raw deal.  So Noted. 

I didn't think as much of him from what I saw.  Whether he could have developed better if treated differently is lost in the swirling sands of time at this juncture.  But it's not a point I'm interested to debate.

The point is, Allen's productivity as a passer and overall as a QB has already surpassed Losman - and Manuel.

2 minutes ago, MR8 said:

Allen thank GOD has been much better managed to TRY to protect him from himself and give him chances to succeed.

Without an interest in debating relative management of a long-gone QB, there are surely aspects of Allen's development which have not been optimally managed: having a QB coach with no experience as a QB coach or QB last year; starting the season last year with no veteran presence in the QB room; the poor quality of the OL and WR corps last year

2 minutes ago, MR8 said:

Not saying Losman would've been a god, but he was terribly managed but in their prime I'd take Losman over Bortles or EJ any day. So you, in my estimation are being more insulting than I am to Allen......Calling Allen Bortles in any way is a far worse insult in my estimation than calling him JP or EJ.

That's chill.  I think more of Bortles than you do.  That's what my eyes tell me.  It's also what Bortles' record as a QB in the league tells me...neither JP nor EJ came anywhere close to the level of play Bortles put up in his 2nd season as a QB, and while he fell off a bit after that and his coach/GM understandably decided he wasn't their long term solution, the fact is he played adequately in the league for several years, including well enough to win 2 playoff games and put up nearly 300 yds passing and 64% completions on the way to a loss in NE.  But we can disagree on that.

11 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

It was actually 28 games and his numbers were pretty pedestrian. He threw less than 1 TD per start as a sophomore. He was a game manager at best. If you watched the games, (I did) he lived off checkdowns and quick throws. 

Its okay though. It’s irrelevant to the larger point, but you know that. 

There's a difference between "pedestrian" and SUCKS and I think you know that. 

And that's relevant to the question of whether you're here for honest discussion or just stirring the pot.

1 hour ago, DuckyBoys said:

What good is drafting a qb next year?  Allen needs every snap  By the end of next season it should be apparent what he is or isnt  Its not like the Bills cant pass the football and are running 40 times a game

I don't understand this question my man. Who is talking about drafting a QB next year? Who is talking about cutting bait NOW? There's an honest debate to be had about his progression as a QB and what that portends for the future. As skeptical as some of us may be, I think everyone understands he deserves quite a bit more time before any of those types of decisions are entertained.

He's done more than enough to prove he's got a chance to be the real deal and he's done some things that make you question whether or not he'll ever be able to be THE MAN. 

That's where we're at right now. 

• Like (+1) 1

He could have that game next week or never. Nobody knows, but you are correct. He needs to reach that level if we are going to win the SB and let's get real. Winning the SB is what it's all about. It seems some folks have forgotten that.

I think it's a little skewed to not count his rushing stats in this 300 yard pipe dream as well. He put up 234 combined yards today, and 292 last week. He's averaging 252 or so combined yards per game this year so he's a lot closer to this ideal QB than a lot of people are giving him credit for in my opinion. Dilfer didn't put up 250+ and TDs on the ground regularly. 

Edited by Nelius

17 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

not by my count. They’re 32-29-2

https://www.footballdb.com/stats/300-yard-passing.html

Thank for the link. I saw that stat a week or so ago and just repeated it, but didn't see the actual stats/games. It surely doesn't really show it to be an indicator of wins. Just for the hell of it I went back and looked at the first six games of last year and it was 32-33. 

Edited by Kelly the Dog

All the people who complain about his downfield accuracy are the same people who said he had no accuracy on short throws either ... And he has came around this year on that

You can't fix everything in 1 year..  Josh obviously spent ALOT of time on his short and intermediate game and his deep game has taken a back seat

I'm 100% willing to see how he adjusts his deep ball after another off-season, I believe he will find the right touch...

This stuff doesn't come overnight

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, SJDK said:

We should have beat up the dolphins on the ground a lot more. We have to use Singletary a lot more. That softens up a defense. We could have done that this week.

I posted this in the Joe B article thread I started but I'll put it here too.

It's not just the run game for Singletary.  On a handful of plays in the first half, he was clearly Josh Allen's checkdown option and he was open like a 7-11.

On several plays where Josh had time but didn't like what he saw downfield and tucked-n-trucked or checked down to a TE (Lee Smith!) Singletary was still available.

I don't know what the deal was - was he wearing an invisibility cloak?  was he there as a decoy because they doubted his ability to gain YAC?  He shouldn't have been out there if so.  or was Josh taking a step back and reverting to last year's Josh where he wouldn't take the checkdown to McCoy but would tuck it and run instead?

Hopefully they will sort it this week.

• Like (+1) 1

Josh Allen “wins” games because of the defense we have, not because of what he does. If tre white doesn’t make that game changing INT, we lose to the 0-5 Dolphins. He needs to be more accurate, I do not care one bit how far he can throw the ball if it’s not accurate. It’s literally a useless weapon as we saw in his overthrown “bombs” today. I’m still not sold at all on him. I actually think he ends up being an below average nfl starter. Hope he proves me wrong. When I watch the true great qbs in the nfl I see them put up 300 yards 3/4 tds. Did anyone watch Rodgers today with his top wr out? That’s a real QB. We’re still searching for one. 

I think no matter what Allen does his critics will always B word, it's just the way it is with him for some odd reason. If he throws a 300 yard, 3 TD game but loses the critics will say thats nice but he lost the game, now were winning and his critics want to see this 300 yard, 3 TD game at any cost. Play smart, run more, game manage with Allen. A great example is Big Ben, he was quite raw just like Allen coming out of a small school and they game managed him for 3 seasons until he started putting up decent numbers but he won games for them. Pound the rock, game manage with Allen and play stout defense and all the rest will come.

• Like (+1) 1

"those games" are usually achieved with chunk plays..Josh is capable of producing those numbers but it requires fixing his deep ball issues..he hits on those two deep balls today hes at or near a 300 yard performance with atleast 3 tds 

For me, it's not so much Allen having "that game", although I'd like to see that too, as it is the offense as a whole having "that game". To my eyes the offensive execution, at various points in each game, has been awful. Whether it's the presnap penalties or the drops or players just not doing their jobs, they seem to struggle to get going. Sometimes it's at the start of the game and sometimes it's in the  3rd quarter. The playing calling has actually been pretty good outside a couple of drives. Can the offense as a whole, take over a game and put the team on it's back? We know they can come back but it would be nice to seem them dominate from the get go.